Sam Howell is Geno's Backup!!

Rat

Reaction score
I like this move, but Schneider's reputation as a QB genius because of two top 10 guys he was never remotely in position to moving up for is way overstated. He wasn't exactly uncovering hidden gems. We also don't know which ones he liked that didn't work out.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Remember this move doesn't mean we won't draft a quarterback and think about what situation Howell was put into and for at half a season he was seriously top tier. We aren't the Commanders we have weapons on offense and coaches implementing modern schemes on offense and defense and are known to make in game adjustments. Dude has the size and is about Bo Nix mobile but younger and a rocket arm with actual NFL experience. And if you think our defense won't at least be 20ish you're insane.

Give him at least a solid defense and an actual OL he would be in a situation much like Patrick Mahomes was. Sit him let Geno mentor him for year or even say 2 quarterbacks if we draft someone that drops or maybe a Rattler.

Last edited:

had2bhawk

Reaction score
I like this move, but Schneider's reputation as a QB genius because of two top 10 guys he was never remotely in position to moving up for is way overstated. He wasn't exactly uncovering hidden gems. We also don't know which ones he liked that didn't work out.
He is getting his cards ready for Draft Day

bileever

Reaction score
So try to answer this question: If the Commanders believed he has all this upside potential, why did they bring in Mariota and trade Howell for a 4th round pick?
I think this is a good question. Clearly, the new regime in Washington--Dan Quinn and Adam Peters--doesn't value Howell. I mean they think so little of him that they preferred Marcus Mariota. And they would rather pay Mariota ($6 million base, and up to $10 million with incentives) than have Howell for next to nothing. I'm not a big fan of Howell, but that's a weird calculation for any GM. Maybe Peters was not the mastermind behind the 49ers roster construction after all.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
He'll always get slack/kudos due to drafting Wilson in the 3rd round. I do wish they had been bold and drafted qb's to develop under Wilson but who knows how Wilson would have responded.

RiverDog

Reaction score
As just a fan, I don't consider myself qualified to evaluate the trade, but I appreciate everyone who's taken the time and effort to give it a go.

From my perspective, all I'm hoping is that the team wears the Wolf Grey uniforms in any game Howell is slated to start.
View attachment 65539
I think we had to give up the wolf grey uniforms when we brought back the retros.

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
Five months ago, I posted a thread about Howell on reddit's NFL sub. It got zero upvotes and comprises 130 comments - mostly calling me stupid - but I think it was interesting nonetheless:

Title: To put in context what Sam Howell is doing, the last time a team found their franchise QB in the fifth round was when the Rams selected future HOFer Bob Waterfield in 1944

Body: The only other franchise QB even selected in the fifth round was Mark Brunell by the Packers in 1993. Over two seasons in Green Bay, Brunell completed 12 of 27 passes for 95 yards. He was then traded to Jacksonville in 1995 for a third and sixth rounder. In regards to contributions to the teams that drafted them, the best since Waterfield are guys like AJ Feeley, TJ Yates, Mike McMahon and Dan Orlovsky, who had their moments but never came anywhere close to becoming franchise QBs.
You get my upvote now

Reactions: Rat

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
For once, just once, why can’t we actually draft a qb we stick with? The only qb we’ve actually drafted was Alex McGough in 2018, and he got put on the ps.

Y

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
I'm new here, but do this many people usually b**ch and moan about the moves the Seahawks make?
HAHAHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man I needed that.

Jac

Reaction score
I think this is a good question. Clearly, the new regime in Washington--Dan Quinn and Adam Peters--doesn't value Howell. I mean they think so little of him that they preferred Marcus Mariota. And they would rather pay Mariota ($6 million base, and up to $10 million with incentives) than have Howell for next to nothing. I'm not a big fan of Howell, but that's a weird calculation for any GM. Maybe Peters was not the mastermind behind the 49ers roster construction after all.
They're going Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels. If the GM is leaning toward Maye, it'd be awkward to have Maye and Howell on the same roster knowing that Howell was Maye's mentor in college (Maye would have to start given his draft position). I don't think this has anything to do with Mariota being evaluated as better than Howell. Even if it's Daniels, this is the Commanders avoiding any kind of a young QB controversy (which they experienced with Griffin and Cousins).

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
There's your sign on what they think about taking a QB at 16.

Unless they take a guy at 16 anyway and are just suddenly horny to waste picks.
Now we can use that pick on BPA or our pathetic D. This trade opens things up.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The Commanders were absolutely flush with cap space. Additional draft capital means more to them than a cheap vet to compete with their new franchise stud. It makes sense for both of us.

If the guy who will absolutely not be your future for even a year or two is worth about a late third in draft capital, I say I trade a lil cap space for that draft value every time.

The trade makes mutual sense, despite my annoyance at not just drafting him for way less draft value and developing him ourselves to begin with.

chrispy

Reaction score
A few thoughts...

1)The point about Mariota isn't valid to me. Quinn is going to bring in "his guy" as every new coach does. As he goes through the growing pains of new staff and kind of crappy team, he doesn't want a QB controversy in his first year. He brought in a good back-up that is tied to him and can win if/when needed. He'll get his guy in the draft and he got rid of any controversy and got value in return. To me, it's not a choice between Yosemite Sam and Mariota. It's a choice of having the team, the fanbase and the press united behind your guy or having to deal with questions every week.

2)Do you think Brock Purdy would have been more successful than Sam Howell in WA last season? Mentally superimposing BPurdy in in a Commanders uni, I'd see about the same success with few weapons, poor protection and unmotivated teammates.

3)JS, early on, talked about bringing in QBs every year. He talked about how GB has been able to create a succession by allowing younger QBs to sit. At best you have a QBOTF. Maybe you have some trade value. Perhaps you have a quality backup for a few years. At worst, you cut bait and bring in another next year. He's talked about being part of the decision not to move up for Aaron Rogers because they had a process. I think this move with Sam is just JS getting back to his foundational beliefs: more good QBs is better than betting it all on 1 guy. I'd expect moves like this to be much more common in years to come.

4)Teams have 3 QBs now. Picking up Sam only means JS won't draft 2 QBs. It doesn't absolutely prevent JS from taking a QB high, however I think JS is fundamentally unmotivated to take a QB high. Sam Howell is not dissimilar to Matt Flynn allowing JS to take a swing on a guy like RCW. Yah, some luck was involved in that pick. But he set the table to allow the chance and he's doing the same again.

PS
While going back through old pre-draft pressers of 20 years to help articulate JS's QB philosophy, one thing stood out. Pete consistently jumped in and answered a lot of questions. In many organizations, the GM does the draft pressers alone. In the Seahawk's case, Pete spoke for more than 1/2 the time in every one I watched: about 7. Anyone that thinks Pete wasn't very involved in final personnel decisions should go back and watch some of them.

PPS
I also think it'll be interesting to see how Jody Allen shows up this year. Was she in the war room last year just to observe and assign ultimate accountability?

chris98251

Reaction score
I kind of like the fact that John liked him but is not giving him the keys as of now. Teams have a knack for doing things, ours is finding star players in unconventional ways, Zorn, Krieg, Largent, Porter, Sinclair, Young, Baldwin, Sherman and Kam, I will even throw in Wilson. Who's to say Howell can't be that next guy, Warner, Brady, Gardner is doing pretty well and has a chance now in Vegas. Favre had basically the same Reputation given Howell and was traded to Green Bay and work with Holmgren to become who he was.

Howell has tools and was projected much higher after his Junior year from what I read. Guys fall for lots of reasons, sometimes it is out of their control. The anomaly of the Interceptions isn't something he has had a issue with till last year as well as sacks, could be the coaching he got, could be he was trying to put everything on his shoulders, we have seen how that can snow ball with a couple guys here. Wilson and Hass both had stretches' where they tried to do more then their role and it led to turn overs.