Sam Howell is Geno's Backup!!

GemCity

Reaction score
The more I understand the trade, the more I like it.

Thanks all.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Howell comes cheap, about $1m a year, and we didn't give up any picks, just moved back a few slots, not a huge deal in the later rounds. He has starting experience and is young enough to be part of our future if he works out. I'd rather have him at $1M than I would Lock at $5M. And, signing him doesn't preclude the possibility of taking a QB if one should fall to us.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Howell is allowed to compete with Geno for the starting job. Macdonald has been less than enthusiastic with his comments about Geno recently, suggesting that Geno's name is written in pencil. Howell is just 23 years old, 10 years younger than Geno, yet he has 2 seasons and 18 career starts under his belt.

I'm not under any illusion that Howell is our QBOTF, but neither am I upset at the deal. This is a low-risk, high reward trade, so I'm basically neutral with it.

Last edited:

Jac

Reaction score
The Commanders fans are higher on Howell than many Seattle fans. Being out here in DC, I know he was well-liked by fans and local sports radio (focusing on football POV).

EXAMPLE POST:
"We don't know what he was because the entire surrounding piece of the offense was a complete and total ---- show. Neither WR, NEITHER ONE created even top 50 target separation in 2023. How total --- is that? VERY.

Bienemy? You guys basically wanted to launch him back to KC via trebuchet all season.

OL? Worst OL performance probably of my entire lifetime following the team (late 1970s).

TE's? Rookie QB's security blanket? Nope. Logan Thomas was blech....

No elite playmakers to speak of on offense.

Ron out the door by October.

Teammates quit in November....

But I'm supposed to take the season long stats as a reasonable, and gospel. Is this Jalen Hurts landing in Philly? Or is this David Carr landing in a dumpster fire 22 years ago? I think I know the answer.

I don't know what he is. He may fade out like Patrick Ramsey did in Denver after leaving, who knows, we'll find out. The only thing I know for sure is that it was highly unfortunate that he was saddled with this ---- team for his one chance to win a starting job in his career so far.

So glad we're giving our new QB a higher floor side, even if its still crap."

EXAMPLE POST:
"I hate to see him leave. I can see why the move was made though.Seattle seems really excited to have him and have apparently had their eyes on him for a while. He should have a good situation there. The only down side for him there is that he will have a head coach who is both a rookie and DC head coach.

I think he is a much better QB than he was able to demonstrate during his time here. He joins the number of so many players who came here only to have their careers short circuited by the curse of our former owner. Many of them were lucky enough to get out and have great careers with other teams, ala Kirk Cousins.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Sam goes on to be a starter at Seattle (or somewhere else) and has a reliable 10 year + career, regularly leading some other team to the playoffs each year and perhaps a SB or two along the way. "

VegasSeaHawk

Reaction score
I saw a Podcast from one of Howell’s former NC team mates and his nickname was “Yosemite Sam”.

Rat

Reaction score
So try to answer this question: If the Commanders believed he has all this upside potential, why did they bring in Mariota and trade Howell for a 4th round pick?
Probably because they got a pick high enough to land one of the elite QB prospects and preferred a veteran backup to someone who still needs development. Mariota blows, but they're apparently operation under the assumption that he doesnt. If they were picking in the 10-20 range, Howell is probably still there and maybe they bring someone in to compete with him.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If I hit the powerball once it doesn’t make me a “power ball expert”.

JS has drafted ONE late round QB since RW and while some like GS I don’t feel like he’s going to take us any further than a first round playoff loss.
And he brought in Geno, who has been pretty spectacular compared to expectation. And we know he wanted to bring in Mahomes, and Allen.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I gotta say, I'm really confused by you having this viewpoint considering the discussions we've had prior about having to keep taking chances at the spot regardless of circumstance.
Never once have I advocated taking a chance on a middling qb who has already been in the league two years "regardless of circumstance." I've advocated taking a chance on drafting a rookie that we can mold in our image, but this is not that.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Backup QB for about a million per year, picks = about a 5th on the value chart
The cost difference between obtaining Howell vs. retaining Lock is significant, and I'm liking Howell as our backup QB a lot better as well.

xray

Reaction score
He was an interception machine and got benched in favor of Jacoby Brissett . No QB drafted again this year JS ?

WarHawks

Reaction score
I'm actually not disappointed about Howell he looked pretty good to me given the situation he was put into. Why I'm frustrated is us giving up draft picks for worse draft picks before we even try to draft a quarterback we keep trading for other teams castoffs it's infuriating.

Why won't JS ever actually draft a quarterback not named Russell Wilson or above the 7th round?
This! I'm so tired of this team always treating the most important position in football as an afterthought. This move only reinforces that track record. The qb should be the cornerstone of the team, and we keep trying to make do with cast-offs or late round picks. Even Russ, as good as he was, had limitations because of his height that stunted his overall development somewhat. Here's a crazy idea. Why not just get a high qb pick in the draft like other teams are able to do? It seems to have worked out pretty well for KC. Is it because the Mirer pick didn't pan out decades ago? Baffling, and frustrating.

Last edited:

Jac

Reaction score
This! I'm so tired of this team always treating the most important position in football as an afterthought. This move only reinforces that track record. The qb should be the cornerstone of the team, and we keep trying to make do with cast-offs or late round picks. Even Russ, as good as he was, had limitations because of his height that stunted his overall development somewhat. Here's a crazy idea. Why not just get a high qb pick in the draft like other teams are able to do? It seems to have worked out pretty well for KC. Is it because the Mirer pick didn't pan out decades ago? Baffling, and frustrating.
I take this as a potential sign that JS has been unleashed to start using draft capital on QBs that he likes. This move doesn't fit the pattern of this team over the past decade. I think our approach to this position is fortunately changing.

DirectMessage

Reaction score
Who was your number 1 QB on your draft board?

WarHawks

Reaction score
I take this as a potential sign that JS has been unleashed to start using draft capital on QBs that he likes. This move doesn't fit the pattern of this team over the past decade. I think our approach to this position is fortunately changing.
That's an optimistic take on it. I hope you're right.

Jac

Reaction score
That's an optimistic take on it. I hope you're right.
Me too. Just listening to JS over the years, I don't think he's a GM that's averse to drafting QBs. Our draft history doesn't make sense in that context. He was potentially handcuffed. I think there's still a good chance we draft another guy this year.

RiverDog

Reaction score
And he brought in Geno, who has been pretty spectacular compared to expectation. And we know he wanted to bring in Mahomes, and Allen.
This.

I trust JS's eye when it comes to quarterbacks, and the word is that he has had his eyeballs on Sam Howell for some time.

Dallashawksfan

Reaction score
Low risk, cheap backup QB

If he takes over from Geno then they are in trouble anyway but you never know. Geno wasn’t so hot when they got him also.

bobsuncle

Reaction score
"this team"...is no longer "that team". Let's see how MM does with JS and lets not label them yet since they haven't played 1 game yet.

Latest posts