Sam Howell is Geno's Backup!!

flv2

Reaction score
People are probably assuming that because Geno was much, much better than Howell last year?

But I'm assuming they're going to give Howell a legit chance to start and this is why Macdonald has been keeping his powder dry on the 'who is the starter' talk, but I'd be shocked (and/or worried) if Howell is the starter in 2024, but not so in 2025.

(Of course, we shouldn't read too much into non-committal coach speak at this time of the year. The amount of posts on the inter-webs assuming Drew Lock was the favorite to get the start because Macdonald said his name first when he was asked about the QB situation is somewhat embarrassing considering Drew isn't even on our team anymore.)

EDIT: And then someone posts an interview right before I say anything that immediately clarifies that he's being signed as a backup. Ok then.
That always happens. lol. It doesn't invalidate your opinion. Howell starting is unlikely but you never know. If he performs well enough often enough it'll happen. Every so often a UDFA wins a starting job.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
In a supposedly rich QB draft, to trade for a QB with no real future as a good to great starter - is an interesting choice.
I'm skeptical of the depth of this QB draft in terms of potential stars too. And John has a reputation as a QB guru in terms of scouting out the great QBs early.
But man, this one might be a look-back moment later.

GemCity

Reaction score
I LIKE Howell. I think he can be pretty damn good if he learns how to navigate a pocket.

I'm just annoyed that they reportedly always liked him, yet passed up on the chance to take him for a fifth in 2022 and have him developing in house OUR way for 2 years.

Instead they wait for him to self-destruct in a terrible organization and pay twice as much in draft capital to undo that damage while also losing half his rookie contract.

Just so, so annoyed by the process there.
Well said! Exactly how I feel.

It doesn’t bother me but, it does make me question JS and MMs thoughts about this class overall.

Now, if I were in the “draft a QBoTF” club, I would quite possibly be annoyed.

Anything is possible.

I’ll trust the process…maybe with a head scratch here and there.

GemCity

Reaction score
What makes me wonder is why Washington let him go?

Do they have a backup signed?

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
What IF the plan is for JS and MM to trade Geno all along. They restructured his contract and I've read in some articles that this may have been to make him more marketable perhaps during the draft. Im reading some positive things about Sam, perhaps the team thought with a new regime that they have something they can work with and on the cheap. Trading Geno might get us those draft picks back and IF Sam doesn't work out we look at at free agent or look to the MM's 2nd draft. All in all it's a gamble and Geno ain't taking us to the superbowl. Thought?
This..

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
What IF the plan is for JS and MM to trade Geno all along. They restructured his contract and I've read in some articles that this may have been to make him more marketable perhaps during the draft. Im reading some positive things about Sam, perhaps the team thought with a new regime that they have something they can work with and on the cheap. Trading Geno might get us those draft picks back and IF Sam doesn't work out we look at at free agent or look to the MM's 2nd draft. All in all it's a gamble and Geno ain't taking us to the superbowl. Thought?
My thought is none of this sounds remotely plausible but it's not entirely impossible and therefore this thought will continue to be floated up until halftime of week 9.

But that's just my first thought.

What makes me wonder is why Washington let him go?

Do they have a backup signed?
They just signed Mariota and they have the #2 pick.

GemCity

Reaction score
My thought is none of this sounds remotely plausible but it's not entirely impossible and therefore this thought will continue to be floated up until halftime of week 9.

But that's just my first thought.

They just signed Mariota and they have the #2 pick.
I knew about the pick…not Mariota though.

Thanks Dark!

nanomoz

Reaction score
It's better than the Whitehurst trade, that's for sure.

Howell is a scrappy dude with great feet. And he has sneaky athleticism. And his teammates seemed to love him.

BigMeach

Reaction score
He was even more worth just taking him in the fifth in 2022 and being able to develop him somewhere that isn't the hell that is DC.
Maybe. But we can't go back in time and do that and Schneider didn't have the last say then.

GemCity

Reaction score
It's better than the Whitehurst trade, that's for sure.

Howell is a scrappy dude with great feet. And he has sneaky athleticism. And his teammates seemed to love him.

I never paid him much attention but, watching this…he’s got a cannon.

Maybe the mic sensitivity was turned up during all of those games/highlights but, you can hear the pigskin hitting the receivers hands *smaaacccck*

Jegpeg

Reaction score
I'm new here, but do this many people usually b**ch and moan about the moves the Seahawks make?
Everyone on this site knows more the John and Mike particularly about QB prospects. When someone on this forum has a different opinion than the front office it is clearly the front office who got it wrong.

Howell flashed last season but was far too inconsistent. He is however a far better prospect than anyone we could get in the third round (and we gave up less draft capital for him than either of our 3rd round picks), he also takes up less cap space than a 3rd round pick. The downside compared to drafting a rookie is if he turns out a franchise QB we will have to pay him in 2026. I think the chances of him becoming a top 10 QB are at least as good as anyone available at 16.

At worst we have a decent back-up for less cap space than Lock, at best we have found a franchise QB for a lot less draft capital (and a lower salary) then we could have got by signing a rookie. While I was surprised at the move I am willing to trust John and Mike that this is a good move.

Latest posts