Sam Howell is Geno's Backup!!

flv2

Reaction score
Kid has a good arm, we shall see. Never know, we might have the next Brock Purdy.
I think he's more Jason Campbell than Brock Purdy - big arm, mobile, not the polished article, might improve and might not.

cheese22

Reaction score
didn't give up draft picks. just moved back 20 spots
People are full on unsmart on what was 'given up' with this trade.
That was my first thought after reading some comments.
The second was that when someone makes a comment like "who tf is Sam Howell", it only makes that poster look ignorant. Like, that poster not knowing the player means the player is no good. All it shows me is someone has a strong opinion without having much knowledge.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I live outside of DC in Virginia. Howell was well-liked out here. He’s not trash and will probably have a better career than a couple of this year’s first rounders.
IIRC, didn't he lead the league in passing yards for somewhere around half the season?
That ain't nothin'.

Since they're far from done constructing this roster, I'm going to wait and see.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Am I missing something? Why are people assuming he was brought in to be a backup? I think John brought him in to compete with Geno.
People are probably assuming that because Geno was much, much better than Howell last year?

But I'm assuming they're going to give Howell a legit chance to start and this is why Macdonald has been keeping his powder dry on the 'who is the starter' talk, but I'd be shocked (and/or worried) if Howell is the starter in 2024, but not so in 2025.

(Of course, we shouldn't read too much into non-committal coach speak at this time of the year. The amount of posts on the inter-webs assuming Drew Lock was the favorite to get the start because Macdonald said his name first when he was asked about the QB situation is somewhat embarrassing considering Drew isn't even on our team anymore.)

EDIT: And then someone posts an interview right before I say anything that immediately clarifies that he's being signed as a backup. Ok then.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
I remember being similarly pumped when we traded a third-rounder plus a second-round pick swap for a Chargers backup by the name of Charlie Whitehurst. BeastQuake wouldn't have happened without his week 17 heroics that vaulted us into the playoffs. I suspect this will end up spectacularly as well.
I remember it like it was yesterday. Chuckie Dubs altered the course of history on that cold January evening.

Attachments

• IMG_1500.jpeg
    IMG_1500.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Rat

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Despite throwing a metric ass ton of picks he does look better than Lock. 21 picks in a single season are a LOT of picks.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Am I missing something? Why are people assuming he was brought in to be a backup? I think John brought him in to compete with Geno.
I think this is right. They are doing this instead of drafting a QB. Does Howell look like QB1 franchise QB of the future? Are we going to spend the next two years testing that theory? How else does this trade make sense, if not drafting a QB? For better or worse, it looks like that’s where we’re headed.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
People are probably assuming that because Geno was much, much better than Howell last year?

But I'm assuming they're going to give Howell a legit chance to start and this is why Macdonald has been keeping his powder dry on the 'who is the starter' talk, but I'd be shocked (and/or worried) if Howell is the starter in 2024, but not so in 2025.

(Of course, we shouldn't read too much into non-committal coach speak at this time of the year. The amount of posts on the inter-webs assuming Drew Lock was the favorite to get the start because Macdonald said his name first when he was asked about the QB situation is somewhat embarrassing considering Drew isn't even on our team anymore.)

EDIT: And then someone posts an interview right before I say anything that immediately clarifies that he's being signed as a backup. Ok then.

Well that was pretty funny comedic timing. Im a little surprised he was so cut and dry

Hawknight

Reaction score
What IF the plan is for JS and MM to trade Geno all along. They restructured his contract and I've read in some articles that this may have been to make him more marketable perhaps during the draft. Im reading some positive things about Sam, perhaps the team thought with a new regime that they have something they can work with and on the cheap. Trading Geno might get us those draft picks back and IF Sam doesn't work out we look at at free agent or look to the MM's 2nd draft. All in all it's a gamble and Geno ain't taking us to the superbowl. Thought?

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Well that was pretty funny comedic timing. Im a little surprised he was so cut and dry
Yeah, I wasn't quite expecting it to be that clear, I expected a bit more hedging. He even offered 'Geno is the man' and Howell's going to 'back him up' unprompted.

I think that's the right play here (especially for the locker room), but I expected him to be more vague just to buy space with fans' expectations.

Jville

Reaction score
Sam has Geno Smiths approval ............................

................ gonna be a good quarterback room.

P.S. Ron Rivera pointed out that Sam had almost 900 yards rushing in his final year with the Tar Heels.