Sam Howell is Geno's Backup!!

James in PA

Reaction score
I've seen a few comments about us giving up draft picks. We didn't lose any draft picks. We swapped draft picks. We traded down twice. We swapped our 3rd for their 4th, and our 5th for their 6th. I don't have a strong opinion either way on the trade, but I just want to get the facts straight.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I remember being similarly pumped when we traded a third-rounder plus a second-round pick swap for a Chargers backup by the name of Charlie Whitehurst. BeastQuake wouldn't have happened without his week 17 heroics that vaulted us into the playoffs. I suspect this will end up spectacularly as well.
As a Bonus you got that Browns game!

One of the finest QB performances in NFL history!

Charlie looks like Sam Hartman having the worst hangover in the history of mankind.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Yikes. Sam Howell just got sacked again. This guy takes way too many sacks. And to boot, this is a backup not a starter for this team currently. However, MacDonald must have some info about him since Baltimore and DC are in close proximity to each other.

Jac

Reaction score
Backup QB for about a million per year, picks = about a 5th on the value chart
And that's the floor. I know we're all saying "backup", but Geno hasn't played in this offense or for this HC/OC. He doesn't have much of a head start. There's no reason Howell isn't in the starting QB competition this training camp.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score

Sorry guys. This is my fault. I jinxed us.

Bright side is if you count all those completions to the other team, his comp % is nearly 67%!

And if you miss Russell Wilson, Sam led the league in sacks beating Wilson 65-45! True greatness!

/sarcasm

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm sure some of us will feel differently about the deal later. Shoot, maybe even later today :cool:

I'm ok with it. Kind of shocked at the jumping off bridges and kicking puppies, but that's ok. I mean, this is dot act like the end of the world after every move.....net.

seabowl

Reaction score
I remember reading a few years ago that John was really high on him coming out of UNC.
I heard that as well, however, how high could he have been on him if he lasted until the fifth round without us taking him?

Hawkamaniac

Reaction score
The math on the trade value crunches as follows:

Seattle gives: #78 - 200 points, and 152 - 31 points: Total 231
Washington gives #102 - 92 points, and 179 - 20 points: Total 112
Difference is 119 points, which equates to 95th or 96th overall pick (end of round 3)

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Does this mean we're out on Fields?
Yes, if there is a god.

He is a definite upgrade over Lock, and JS obviously has a plan for this guy.
I have been relatively down on Lock, but he's not as clear of an upgrade over Lock as one would like. I'd say he's a slight upgrade with more overall potential. That said, he is younger and cheaper, so--forgetting draft capital--I think we have an overall better QB situation than we did in 2023.

His biggest knock is that he doesn't sense/evade pressure very well. Commanders offensive line wasn't great but they were still better than our O-Line (as measured by Pass Block Win Rate) and his sack rate was terrible. It wasn't based on him holding the ball forever, either, as he had a basically league average time-to-throw, right in line with Geno's. He's either just oblivious or he thinks he's just a bit quicker than he actually is.

James in PA

Reaction score
I wonder if this trade was to throw off the scent of us taking a quarterback with our first pick. John might think this decreases the chances of someone leapfrogging us if a guy like Nix, for example, starts to slide.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
I wonder if this trade was to throw off the scent of us taking a quarterback with our first pick. John might think this decreases the chances of someone leapfrogging us if a guy like Nix, for example, starts to slide.
It would also greatly increase the value of the 16th pick in that scenario - I think we will trade back and get some picks but maybe not - this just adds more intrigue

seabowl

Reaction score
I got an entirely different answer using the trade value chart on OTC.com.

The difference in pick values is equivalent to Seattle giving up a mid-7th round pick for Sam Howell
They were right. It’s equivalent to the 97th pic in the draft which is the first pick of the fourth round. In my opinion it’s an overpay for a guy drafted in the fifth round that hasn’t done much in the NFL. I would say the only reason why schneider pulled the trigger on this is because of having to pay him only $1 million a year for the next two years to be the back up. Drew lock got $5 million and Sam Darnold got $10 million so it puts this in perspective.

Latest posts