Sam Howell is Geno's Backup!!

bileever

Reaction score
I'm totally in the wtf camp about this trade. It's one thing to get him for nothing, or next to nothing, but to give up that draft capital, I don't know if he's worth it. I think maybe Schneider's not the best at driving a hard bargain and getting the best deal. (I mean the Commanders had already signed Marcus Mariota and are planning on drafting a QB at #2, so it's not like they saw a future for Howell on their team.)

But clearly, Schneider must see something in the guy, and I hope he's right. And I hope Macdonald's on board with this. It's also making me think that the previous bad trades were not all about Pete, but that Schneider had a lot to do with them.

Last edited:

Jville

Reaction score
This is a good day.

Resulting cap charges will be only $985,00 in 2024 and $1,100,000 in 2025.

Plus John has a jump on draft day. He's already traded down.

I give it two thumbs up.

Brilliant Trade!

keasley45

Reaction score
I don't think this is bad. I spend a good bit of time in the mid Atlantic and have quite a few Washington fans as friends. They all loved Howell and thought he had the potential to be VERY good. He just couldn't do it alone the way they relied on him, so early in his career.

I'll say I think he's an upgrade over Lock. The guy can read defenses and has a little bit or Russ in him when it comes to his off script ability.

Curious to see how this pans out. But I guess that all but closes the door on the idea that we are taking a QBOTF in this draft. I think the FO's calculus is that they don't think anyone worthwhile will be there for them this year, and they don't like any of the top guys enough to mortgage the future in players and picks. So, better to get a guy they like who MIGHT be able to take the next step and let him go at it for a year or two. And, if at the end of that period, you aren't sold on him, you get your guy in the draft.

Not mad at this at all.

Last edited:

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I LIKE Howell. I think he can be pretty damn good if he learns how to navigate a pocket.

I'm just annoyed that they reportedly always liked him, yet passed up on the chance to take him for a fifth in 2022 and have him developing in house OUR way for 2 years.

Instead they wait for him to self-destruct in a terrible organization and pay twice as much in draft capital to undo that damage while also losing half his rookie contract.

Just so, so annoyed by the process there.
Perhaps Pete didn't want to use draft picks on his last year here?

Boycie

Reaction score

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about the Howell deal. Not excited about losing the draft picks in a top heavy draft. Feels like we are going to regret losing that 3rd round pick.

But at least the terror that I would wake up to find we picked up Fields has subsided. Hopefully that prevents us from picking him up now.
Getting Fields was my real fear.
If the price to not get Fields is to lose a 3rd, it would admittedly be steep....but probably worth it.

Hawkamaniac

Reaction score
I like the trade a lot. Young, serviceable, affordable back-up. Under contract for two more years. A year of NFL starting experience where he showed potential despite playing in a terrible situation. Fills a pressing need at QB2, and brings in a guy with decent upside. And all it costs (using the JJ draft value chart) is a late 3rd (roughly pick 95/96). And, though a trade down, we retain the same number of picks.

It's smart ... really smart.

Germanhawk7

Reaction score
I like the trade a lot. Young, serviceable, affordable back-up. Under contract for two more years. A year of NFL starting experience where he showed potential despite playing in a terrible situation. Fills a pressing need at QB2, and brings in a guy with decent upside. And all it costs (using the JJ draft value chart) is a late 3rd (roughly pick 95/96). And, though a trade down, we retain the same number of picks.

It's smart ... really smart.
This 100%

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
So they get Howell a 4th and a 6th, and give up a 3rd (one of their 3rd's was from Denver anyway)

Meh, I don't hate it or like it. I'll just enjoy the freaking out :ROFLMAO:
The Bad, The Good and the Strange. Yep, it's Free Agency time..........
It's a freak show now! 🤪

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
No harm done, really. We can do just as well with the extra fourth, it's a high fourth (#102, second in that round after 3rd round's comp picks), and John can always just bundle them up and move up to an extra third.

If not, we're picking three times in a 37-pick span, and Howell is better than Lock.

Jac

Reaction score
I choked a little when I saw the compensation, but at least we're getting two picks back. FWIW, Washington fans aren't completely gung ho with this trade on twitter. He was well-liked here, and quite a few thought he had nice potential. He does have a pretty live arm in those highlights, had almost 4000 yards as a 2nd year on a bad team, and 5 300-yard games. Nothing I can do either way, so I'll just hope that Schneider has the goods when it comes to QB evaluation. At least he's finally using a draft pick on one.

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
I choked a little when I saw the compensation, but at least we're getting two picks back. FWIW, Washington fans aren't completely gung ho with this trade on twitter. He was well-liked here, and quite a few thought he had nice potential. He does have a pretty live arm in those highlights, had almost 4000 yards as a 2nd year on a bad team, and 5 300-yard games. Nothing I can do either way, so I'll just hope that Schneider has the goods when it comes to QB evaluation. At least he's finally using a draft pick on one.
Backup QB for about a million per year, picks = about a 5th on the value chart

Latest posts