Sam Howell is Geno's Backup!!

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I mean, this really trashes some of the thought of a drafted QB. You have a top-level backup in Howell and Geno under contract with not a lot of prospect to trade him.

OP
OP
CactusJack

CactusJack

Reaction score
This kid's a gamer. Kinda reminds me of Mayfield. Very athletic and an impressive arm. I enjoyed watching him a bit last year, he stood out to me.
Yeah, I can see why John would like him.

He threw the ball a ton last year as the starter.

DirectMessage

Reaction score
Nice deal. It doesn't seem like we were going to be able to draft JJ or Nix at 16, without moving up. Good job JS. We'll probably still draft a QB late in this draft, too.

G-Money

Reaction score
Wow.........did NOT see this coming. HATE HATE HATE losing that 3rd round pick (especially with no 2nd). I actually think Howell has some upside (played VERY well at times on a horrible Commanders team). I'm stunned this happened. Can this guy beat out Geno?? I don't think it's that far of a long shot at all.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Seattle, on the draft chart, gave up value equal to pick 97 overall (a late third) in the pick swaps.

Just to more clearly quantify the value.
Which, if we were already considering drafting a QB at that point, there isn't any guarantee he'd be better than Howell, who is only going to be 24.

This saves us from throwing a draft pick at a QB if we weren't thrilled with who we might have had a chance at and we get a 24-year-old with 2 years of NFL experience. Is it a great move? No. But I don't think it's terrible now that the initial shock is wearing off.

Jville

Reaction score
This move means only two quarterbacks are required for the active roster.

Developmental prospects can carried on the practice squad.