RW and the HOF

ZagHawk

Reaction score
So about 2 years ago I think most Seahawks fans saw RW as a guaranteed HOFer. Well his last two seasons with the Broncos have been what they are. Curious how people feel now about RW's end of career probability of getting into the HOF?

Torc

Reaction score
I didn't see him as a guaranteed HOFer. I thought that he would definitely get consideration with two super bowl appearances and one win, and some of his stats were very impressive. I don't have them handy but his TDs at 100 games played and that kind of thing were really high. I think he also made people look at his position and the type of players they draft a bit differently. All good HOF pointers. When he got traded I figured that there was a good chance that in a more modern offense he'd prove his abilities even more.

BUT.....there was concern at the time that he'd been carried by a generational defense, and that Pete had shielded him over the years. His stats by quarter show some concern and there's discussion that he doesn't go through anything like a read progression. (Kurt Warner did a really detailed video on this that revealed a lot.) His trade to Denver was his chance to prove that HE was the catalyst for all those wins over the years. A year later his coach is fired after one of the more inept offenses was a total disaster.

Enter Sean Payton. A QB 'guru', who was going to build an offense around Russ' impressive talents and *BOOM* he'd be back on a HOF track. Turns out that he improved from disaster to 'pretty good' with some big stat increases in the 4th quarter. Sounds familiar..... There are also reports that players are noticing on film that he is not seeing wide open receivers and again isn't going through his progressions. Payton benches him and it appears that he'll be released after the season. Yikes.

At this point I don't think he's a serious contender for the Hall of Fame. I think his name will be brought up at least once, for sure, but that his detractors will mention a lot of the stuff above and he won't have enough support (especially given the competition he'll face from his era). That could change if he gets released as expected, goes somewhere as a free agent and returns to his winning ways. Frankly I'd be surprised if that happens. I think he's simply too 'limited' for that to happen. I'd be happy if he proved me wrong though.

Wheetie

Reaction score
Likeability plays into voter's decisions. His likeability has plummeted and, if he's a fringe consideration, I bet he'll be passed over due to not being thought of highly any longer.

Seahawker

Reaction score
As I understand it, once you are on the ballot, which is quite a process of narrowing down the best candidates. Then you need (80%), 40 of 49 voters to get in. Your eligibility starts after 5 years of retirement and then you have 20 years to make it in or they will throw the half eaten Dangerwich in the garbage.
I think RW's best shot is to sign with a middling, playoff starved team or a team with most of the pieces but needs a veteran QB and once again put up solid numbers and win a couple playoff games. No fancy bells & whistles, no gimmics. All business, just football and push his statistical numbers further up the list closer to #15- #10 alltime.
That turn a round and effort could win him some favor with the HOF committee. But who knows?, he could get in as is, early on he broke a lot of records and put himself on the NFL map as a legend & lore big play maker. I think that's why Denver signed him, watching old tape.
There are currently 36 QB's in the HOF, I think his chances will depend on what other QB(s) are in competition with him for a spot when the time comes.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
RW to the HOF?

I suspect it will depend on how he does going forward until he retires. he sure started well but started reading his press clipping as the NFL slowly figured out how to stop him.

My suspicion is at present he's only on the cusp

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I've stated this before if the hall ever lets in Donovan McNabb then they should let in Dangerwich. Kind of the same career arc except the sandwich artist has a ring. Although he did play on an absolutely stacked team kind of like Dilfer and his one win.

Welshers2

Reaction score
Unless his career has a magical third act he won't get in. If he had retired in Seattle he had a chance but single handedly destroying a franchise in Denver made it so he's on the outside looking in right now. If he somehow goes somewhere else and gets good results he will have a chance at the hall. As of now, he's not in

knownone

Reaction score
I said it when Russ was traded, and I'll repeat it. If Russ fails outside of Seattle, the most significant thing working against his HoF case is the Kirk Cousins counterfactual (what if they swapped places in the draft). If you look at their post-LoB careers, they are virtually identical in stats, playoff wins, etc. That fuels the product-of-the-system narrative and pushes him toward the fringe of the HoF debate.

Rosco

Reaction score
In the big picture, other than the SB.. what has he done?
Not a lot.
He was never a league MVP.
His passing numbers are above average at best. He’s only exceeded 4,000 yards 3 or 4 times.
his 1 SB win he was a ride along, not the reason they won. The LOB/Lynch were the primary reason for winning the championship. He’s had a good career which is not HOF worthy

NoGain

Reaction score
With the way the HOF has become watered down over the years, sure there's a chance he gets in. It would probably take a good long while, though, if he did.

I have a higher standard for who should qualify for the HOF. Deion Sanders talks a bunch about a need for an upper room in the HOF for the real HOFers. Asked how such a thing would be decided, he says the players know who the real dogs were.

So yeah, IMO if he gets in it's because the parameters for getting in have stretched wide enough.

Seahawker

Reaction score
With the way the HOF has become watered down over the years, sure there's a chance he gets in. It would probably take a good long while, though, if he did.

I have a higher standard for who should qualify for the HOF. Deion Sanders talks a bunch about a need for an upper room in the HOF for the real HOFers. Asked how such a thing would be decided, he says the players know who the real dogs were.

So yeah, IMO if he gets in it's because the parameters for getting in have stretched wide enough.
Well, if we are going by the Deion standard of 'real dogs' then it's safe to say that-
Largent* Kennedy* Easley* Jones*
are dogs that belong in the upper room.

flv2

Reaction score
Here's a list of 9-or-more time ProBowlers that have stayed out of the HoF:

Weadoption

Reaction score
40k passing yds and 5k rushing and has a ring.
Not a lot on that list.
He’s going in the HoF because Prime Russ is one of the greatest dual threat qbs of all time and that’s where he belongs.

chrispy

Reaction score
There's a minimum of 5 yrs before anyone makes that call. If he becomes a pariah and can't find a starting job, that'll be his swan song. If he can find a coach that'll put up with his, ...well, put up with him... he'll have a chance for an interesting comeback story.

Whether he'd make it in today is irrelevant; just an exercise in argument. I'd say no. He'll further increase his chances or decrease them going forward.

Frankly, if he does any more advertising, no one will ever vote him in. Joke...but I think it's also true.

bileever

Reaction score
The narrative is very important, the arc of the player's story. And that narrative isn't that good for Russ right now. I agree with others that he would have been better off staying in Seattle and try to get in as "the greatest QB in franchise history." Instead, he wanted to be Peyton Manning or Tom Brady and win two Super Bowls with two different teams. That narrative failed.

As for stats, I think that what will hurt him is that by the time he's eligible, his stats won't be impressive compared to a lot of other QBs that follow, like Mahomes, Burrow, Tagovoiloa, Allen, and others.

I don't think Eli Manning is getting in even though he won two Super Bowls, and he has the advantage of having played in New York. He has more yards and TDs than Russ.

Also, Matthew Stafford is the same age as Wilson, so there's a chance they become eligible at the same time, and I wonder if Stafford has the better story, having toiled for years at a sorry franchise before getting to the Rams and winning it all. He will also have more yards and TDs than Russ, having gone to the NFL at a younger age, as well as a longer career.

Kirk Cousins is also the same age, and I think people might make the argument that Wilson is too much like Cousins and we're not going to put all three of them in the HOF.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Who knows? I'm always for more Seahawks in Canton, but I'm dubious with Russ.
BUT!
My thing is this:

If Joe Namath is in the HOF, anyone has a chance of being enshrined.

Dude did three things.
1. Legitimized a league by winning one Super Bowl representing the AFL.
2. Played in NYC
3. Boned tons of chicks.

Not even joking.

Dude was pedestrian regardless of how many men wanted to be him and women wanted to ummmm, have their jersey signed by him.

Career stats..

Pass attempts - 3762
Pass Completions - 1886
Percentage - 50.1%
TD/INT- 173/220
Passing Yards- 26,663
Passer Rating - 65.5

If this dude made it, there is always a chance for RW.