Russell Okung signs with Broncos ($53m/5yr OR $5m/1yr)

Cyrus12

Reaction score
2 dollar o line protecting a 20 mill qb...wilson is tough but you damn well know hes gonna get hurt because of having a shitty o line...perhaps the worst in the league.

kearly

Reaction score
John Elway is a slimy car salesman ("No Haggle Prices!"), so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he has been such a savvy GM in free agency, or that he took advantage of a player foolishly representing himself. Barring an amazing season from Okung in 2016, this is very likely to be a 1 year deal on an offense that isn't going to make him look all that good in a division loaded with scary pass rushers.

I wouldn't have minded if Seattle had done this deal. But I'm not surprised they let Okung walk. If they really felt that Okung was a priority, then they would have locked him up last offseason. Durability is a big deal to Seattle, which is also why they traded Max Unger.

Most offseasons I would be greatly disturbed by this event, but I really like some of the tackles in the upcoming draft. Even in a worst case scenario where Gilliam starts at LT and is bad, Seattle still has the money they saved on Okung and they could bankroll that into a 2017 LT acquisition.

It's no slam on Okung when I say that I'm okay with him leaving. If we're lucky, he might get us a 3rd round pick and save a lot of money while being replaced by someone younger and healthier in the draft. The downside is that we miss him badly and then go out and buy his replacement in 2017.

But since Okung is leaving I do have some critiques. The guy obviously couldn't stay healthy, and IMO, his level of play has declined every year since 2012. Even when healthy in 2015 he had some pretty bad games. I used to think he was an elite tackle when healthy. But in 2015 it felt like he was an average-ish tackle when healthy.

Like Max Unger, I'll terribly miss Russell Okung the person. If Tharold Simon is a "Humble Thug" then Russell Okung is a "Humble Geek." He seemed like the quiet dude who's actually really cool to hang out with, a wallflower.

I wish him the best, not only because it might get Seattle a better pick but also because he seems like a cool dude and he helped Seattle win a SB. I look forward to the draft and am hoping for some of my favorite OL prospects to get drafted. Maybe this whole offseason will end in disappointment but for now I'm excited to see what comes next.

chris98251

Reaction score
Okung has that glass ankle which has hurt him in speed rush blocking, he also has never been the same since the Eagles game where I think it was Trent Cole that did the shoulder toss. He may have played less then his draft stock after those two events and was always trying to get the jump on plays due to that, thus the many false starts he had on his resume.

I think we have a plan, if we didn't you would have seen us negotiate much more diligently with him.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The plan is pretty obvious we're going for an LT or C at 26. Which is just as well given Okung is too much of a risk to give 10+ million. 8-9M? Maybe....thing is he's just above good but nowhere near great and miles away from elite.

I love that we are no longer screwing around at guard and going big in the interior to both erase the Aaron Donald issue and give Russell an actual pocket going inside first given he doesn't need protection from the outside in most cases.

kearly

Reaction score
chris98251":2w4rd4nw said:
I think we have a plan, if we didn't you would have seen us negotiate much more diligently with him.

That's how I feel as well. PCJS have plans and preparations for this scenario. If they felt they were doomed without Okung they would have signed him to an extension last offseason.

chris98251

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3o41zn24 said:
The plan is pretty obvious we're going for an LT or C at 26. Which is just as well given Okung is too much of a risk to give 10+ million. 8-9M? Maybe....thing is he's just above good but nowhere near great and miles away from elite.

Silly girl, the plan is working perfectly, they are going LS at 26, why else would they release Gresham. :)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":2c1ymmtb said:
MizzouHawkGal":2c1ymmtb said:

Silly girl, the plan is working perfectly, they are going LS at 26, why else would they release Gresham. :)
:th2thumbs:

Willyeye

Reaction score
kearly":36u55e4f said:
John Elway is a slimy car salesman ("No Haggle Prices!"), so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he has been such a savvy GM in free agency, or that he took advantage of a player foolishly representing himself. Barring an amazing season from Okung in 2016, this is very likely to be a 1 year deal on an offense that isn't going to make him look all that good in a division loaded with scary pass rushers.

I wouldn't have minded if Seattle had done this deal. But I'm not surprised they let Okung walk. If they really felt that Okung was a priority, then they would have locked him up last offseason. Durability is a big deal to Seattle, which is also why they traded Max Unger.

Most offseasons I would be greatly disturbed by this event, but I really like some of the tackles in the upcoming draft. Even in a worst case scenario where Gilliam starts at LT and is bad, Seattle still has the money they saved on Okung and they could bankroll that into a 2017 LT acquisition.

It's no slam on Okung when I say that I'm okay with him leaving. If we're lucky, he might get us a 3rd round pick and save a lot of money while being replaced by someone younger and healthier in the draft. The downside is that we miss him badly and then go out and buy his replacement in 2017.

But since Okung is leaving I do have some critiques. The guy obviously couldn't stay healthy, and IMO, his level of play has declined every year since 2012. Even when healthy in 2015 he had some pretty bad games. I used to think he was an elite tackle when healthy. But in 2015 it felt like he was an average-ish tackle when healthy.

Like Max Unger, I'll terribly miss Russell Okung the person. If Tharold Simon is a "Humble Thug" then Russell Okung is a "Humble Geek." He seemed like the quiet dude who's actually really cool to hang out with, a wallflower.

I wish him the best, not only because it might get Seattle a better pick but also because he seems like a cool dude and he helped Seattle win a SB. I look forward to the draft and am hoping for some of my favorite OL prospects to get drafted. Maybe this whole offseason will end in disappointment but for now I'm excited to see what comes next.

Agree with all of this...you're always the voice of reason. Change is exciting. I can still remember the drafts when we got our core guys. Many fans were unable to see the vision...if PC/JS hadn't been willing to take some huge risks, some of our core players would have ended up on other teams. To me, this is the way of the NFL...out with the old, in with the new. The young kids coming in are what makes the game exciting for an old fart like me. The only thing that bums me out is the fact that they essentially signed Russell to a 1-year deal for $5 million...we'll probably get a 6th round pick for that instead of the 3rd rounder we deserve. It reminds me of the Patriots/Revis deal...they virtually cut him after the year, and they got a 3rd round pick for him. Looks like the Broncos might do the same. I'd almost feel sorry for Russell, but it was his decision to represent himself...I do think Elway totally took advantage of him.

Rob12

Reaction score
I guess I'll withhold judgment until after the draft, but our offensive line currently looks like the worst unit/depth in football.

Gilliam, LT
Britt, LG
Lewis, C
Glowinski, RG
Webb/Sowell, RT

Not sure if that's how the line plays out or not, but that's not good.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly":3469z7gb said:
chris98251":3469z7gb said:

That's how I feel as well. PCJS have plans and preparations for this scenario. If they felt they were doomed without Okung they would have signed him to an extension last offseason.

To be fair, we all thought they had a plan after trading Unger. Then they missed in the draft and flushed six games on a DL convert they later cut.

I have a tiny bit more faith this year, if only because of the lesson they learned last season.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I tried to stay on the Okung bandwagon but finally fell off when he again got injured in the playoffs. Unless he has an insane season like he has never had for us I can't imagine Denver picking up the option so I think he signed a one year deal. If his option is picked up he did well for himself, if it is not picked up he made a huge error by not getting an agent. I'm more upset about losing our long snapper at this point. I hope we go tackle in the 1st round, DT in the 2nd and then a whole bunch of offensive lineman after that but I'm sure I will be shocked on draft day.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Rob12":9669gaqc said:
I guess I'll withhold judgment until after the draft, but our offensive line currently looks like the worst unit/depth in football.

Gilliam, LT
Britt, LG
Lewis, C
Glowinski, RG
Webb/Sowell, RT

You could say the same thing if you listed the names from last year.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/710884798265466885[/tweet]

Okung didn't get a signing bonus.

Man, the more details that come out, the more it looks like Okung was worked on this deal. Elway took advantage of Okung, not that I blame him.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Rob12":luu4t6b8 said:

Gilliam, LT
Britt, LG
Lewis, C
Glowinski, RG
Webb/Sowell, RT

I think Webb or Sowell both would be a HUGE upgrade over Britt at LG. Gilliam, Webb/Sowell/Pick #56 or 90 (lots of really good OG's between #56 and #124), Kelly/Lewis, Glow and Sowell/Webb/Britt. Of course, with this young O-Line, there will be a REAL competition this year...no gimme's. I'm hoping for Center Ryan Kelly in the 1st round at #26. I think he'd be a HUGE upgrade from Lewis. At least 2 more draft picks and one more FA signing, and I think the line could easily sort itself out into a decent O-Line. Pick #56 or 90, pick #124, another FA, Sokoli (at Guard), Nowak (at guard), Schwenke, Poole, Jeanpierre, Britt...14 young, hungry guys competing for 9 spots. No old guys, but not really inexperienced either. At least there's a shot that this line could be together for 3 or 4 years and still be relatively inexpensive...a great value O-Line.

According to Rob at Seahawks Draft Blog, the Rams started TWO rookies on their O-Line last year, and their line ended up ranked #1 in pass pro. I have a gut feeling that this will be the year we finally get a decent O-Line for Russell. Think positive thoughts :)

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1sbq9t9y said:
kearly":1sbq9t9y said:
chris98251":1sbq9t9y said:

To be fair, we all thought they had a plan after trading Unger. Then they missed in the draft and flushed six games on a DL convert they later cut.

I have a tiny bit more faith this year, if only because of the lesson they learned last season.

I blame Tom Cable for that. Not that Patrick Lewis is a revelation, but the issues were far worse with Nowak. Had Seattle just stuck with Patrick Lewis from day one like they should have, it wouldn't have been all that bad. JS even name-checked Lewis after trading Unger, so I think that's what JS had in mind when he agreed to the deal.

Like you said, hopefully somebody (ehem Tom Cable) learned a lesson from 2015.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
HawkFan72":136f8spq said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/710884798265466885[/tweet]

Okung didn't get a signing bonus.

Man, the more details that come out, the more it looks like Okung was worked on this deal. Elway took advantage of Okung, not that I blame him.

That's not a "prove-it" deal; that's an "I got worked like a rented mule" deal. Starting to feel bad for the guy.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
And yet there is this:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/710887890885091328[/tweet]

Okung signed that bad of a deal, a completely team-friendly deal, and the Seahawks still didn't want to make it happen. That's pretty telling.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3a6t6ijj said:
And yet there is this:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/710887890885091328[/tweet]

Okung signed that bad of a deal, a completely team-friendly deal, and the Seahawks still didn't want to make it happen. That's pretty telling.

Why would the Hawk's not match that one year prove it kind of deal?

Hsu is the man, but I don't think this is entirely true. My guess is Okung was pissed that after all he's done for the Hawks, they were only willing to give him a one year incentive laden contract, so all things being equal he went to Denver.