Russell Embarassing Himself

GeekHawk

Reaction score
speaking of next week:

Who are the Hawk fans rooting for next Monday night?
As usual, when the lambs and the whiners play I'm rooting for a small meteorite... Not a big one, just enough to take out the field and maybe the first couple rows of seats. So far, no luck. Nothing personal, I was the same way when we were in the AFCW and the donkos would play the ray-duhs.

schkoot

Reaction score
I fully admit I've been deeply enjoying watching RW's hubris catch up to him, but I'm actually in awe that he's fallen THIS FAR. I would feel bad for him if he hadn't asked for this.

For people who know more than me about this stuff: how long does this slide have to continue before his sure-bet HoF status evaporates?

evergreen

Reaction score
People have mentioned it. People ste seeing what we have accepted for these last few years. Tonight was a perfect example. He looked good early but then the mojo expired and he wasn’t awesome.

Scout

Reaction score
I fully admit I've been deeply enjoying watching RW's hubris catch up to him, but I'm actually in awe that he's fallen THIS FAR. I would feel bad for him if he hadn't asked for this.

For people who know more than me about this stuff: how long does this slide have to continue before his sure-bet HoF status evaporates?

I don't think it impacts his HoF chances to be honest.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I said last year when he came back from his thumb injury too soon that Russell looked shook, like he was rattled and seeing ghosts.

That Russ unwavering confidence was gone, and he can pretend all he wants that it's not, but it is. There's no hiding it.

Now he's on a new team where he's trying to win over a locker room that's quickly finding out he's not even close to as advertised.

Some media members are saying Wilson hasn't been the same since his mentor Trevor Moawad passed away? Not sure, but it makes sense that the one constant advisor that could keep Russell's ego in check and be real with him isn't there anymore.

Donn2390

Reaction score
You really have to wonder what is going through Russ's mind these days. For 14 + or - years he was at the very top of the penthouse. Now he is swimming in the sewer in the basement, trying hard to keep his head above water. It doesn't smell good down here..
He has to be doing some heavy second guessing about his decision to force his way out of Seattle, and he has to be wondering if it really is all over and is he finished. I'm sure he is still confident and praying for the mojo to return, but he also has to be running scared at this juncture.
Anyone can have a bad game, but six clinkers in a row has to be destroying his mind. I'm guessing that he probably won't be sitting next to Roger at the next Super Bowl, more like he will watch the game from a bar in skid row... He will never go hungry with his guaranteed millions, but he won't be able to show his face to spend his gold. This screw up will haunt him until his last breath..
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
He has to be doing some heavy second guessing about his decision to force his way out of Seattle, and he has to be wondering if it really is all over and is he finished. I'm sure he is still confident and praying for the mojo to return, but he also has to be running scared at this juncture.
Anyone can have a bad game, but six clinkers in a row has to be destroying his mind. I'm guessing that he probably won't be sitting next to Roger at the next Super Bowl, more like he will watch the game from a bar in skid row... He will never go hungry with his guaranteed millions, but he won't be able to show his face to spend his gold. This screw up will haunt him until his last breath.
I think he didn't have serious second thoughts until he got booed in Denver in game 2, and heard the crowd counting down the play clock. That's when he knew he wasn't riding into town as a football god. You know, the way he was treated in Seattle. Suddenly, he realized Bronco fans had him on a very short leash and weren't going to take any bullshit. I think that messed with his head, but he was still believing his own press clippings until last night. (He didn't finish an interview with "Broncos' country, let's ride" for the first time since he canned that phrase.)

keasley45

Reaction score
You really have to wonder what is going through Russ's mind these days. For 14 + or - years he was at the very top of the penthouse. Now he is swimming in the sewer in the basement, trying hard to keep his head above water. It doesn't smell good down here..
Anyone can have a bad game, but six clinkers in a row has to be destroying his mind. I'm guessing that he probably won't be sitting next to Roger at the next Super Bowl, more like he will watch the game from a bar in skid row... He will never go hungry with his guaranteed millions, but he won't be able to show his face to spend his gold. This screw up will haunt him until his last breath..
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I dont think Russ is necessarily second guessing leaving Seattle. The only way he could have stayed was by taking a significant pay cut and allowing Pete to show everyone that Russ was a product of his system by having him conform to the approach that made him great in the beginning - one he had zero interest in.

His choice to leave was a gamble to get max $ from someone who could be duped into believing his struggles were the product of his team.

Either play the role of manager in Seattle for less money, or go somewhere else, get max dollars and take his chances trying to run a different system... something he knew he'd struggle with but I think he thought that eventually, he'd be running his O from Seattle anyway... or enough of the improv game that hed be ok. Hackett being an offensive mind is the fly in Russ's ointment. I think what was a partnership between Hackett and Wilson will now quickly erode into a battle for who can survive this year with their reputation intact. Hackett might well lose his job, but if it's shown he was hamstrung by Wilson ( as now its obvious PC was as well) he can coach again. I don't know that Hackett wants to roll out the same thin playbook Russ ran here. It's not particularly creative and is inherently limited by his skillset.
But no, I don't think Russ is entirely surprised at how much he's struggling. I think he may be shocked that his rah rah style is so off-putting because Pete gave him a bub le to play in that likely resulted in a false sense of self and accomplishment. But him surprised entirely? Nope. This was a calculated risk. He knew what might happen, and the worst is coming to pass.