Ruminations on the Ravens Game

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":n34ovwjz said:
Anyway, I have a garbage-time question. When the game is defacto done with six minutes left in the fourth quarter, why don't teams put 2s out there to 1) see what they have and 2) mitigate potential injury loss to the 1s? Not just Seattle but generally. The game is effectively over with the only advantage being possibly giving live snap experience to said 2s.

A few things with this. Seattle specifically.

Pete, and Wilson for that matter, believe they always have a chance. They are super competitive and think they can find a way to win no matter the circumstance.

Teams also do not dress enough players to go fully with 2s.

But in general I am with your line of thinking, star players need to be pulled, and anyone playing hurt need to be pulled as well.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
xray":1o2bnwgv said:
They got whipped by a hungry road team ; with a QB that is almost impossible to contain by the defense . The defense were in awe of Jackson...they said so after . How about the weather factor ? The Hawks live in the Seattle area . Do they practice in a climate controlled practice facility ? Looked like it .They don't look fully prepared this season. 5-2 is a good record though but how sustainable ?

We'll all know in a couple of weeks.

Beat ATL, Beat Tampa, and give the 9ers a game on the road. Maybe they pull off the upset. Jimmy G isn't great. He could lose them the game with some bad turnovers.

7-3 / 8-2. Is what they will need to be. Post MNF.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
bbsplitter":2z6qke1b said:
-
- The replays didn't really show it, but that pass they credited Earl for breaking up in the endzone to Moore earlier in the game actually went right through his hands, so that missed TD wasn't really because of good defense like the announcers were crediting it with.

Yeah, I forgot to point this one out in my OP. The throw was amazing. It whizzed over ETs head and into David Moore's hands as he fell to the ground in the end zone. It was either the rain, or the shock that he actually fit that ball in there.

But it easily could've been a TD.

Your DK observation is on point as well.

chris98251

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2tb0z7s2 said:
Well Earl was cammed going up to seahawk players and then exchanging jerseys with Russ. I don't think he hates us necessarily.

But this was a pit in your stomach-type game. Not just the pick-6 and fumble, but the drops and the lackluster defensive play that IME has been overlooked because it's the NFL and that wasn't important because we won, right--by 1 or 2 or 4.

Sooner or later--and probably sooner--it was gonna catch up.

Anyway, I have a garbage-time question. When the game is defacto done with six minutes left in the fourth quarter, why don't teams put 2s out there to 1) see what they have and 2) mitigate potential injury loss to the 1s? Not just Seattle but generally. The game is effectively over with the only advantage being possibly giving live snap experience to said 2s.

Many players don't want to come out and let others clean it up, especially if they feel responsible in many ways.

Secondly they don't want to take the chance of someone showing them up either.

They are competitors and when things are down true team mates stick together and suffer the consequences, it builds a comradery also and that Chip we have been talking about.

Those are some I have more but competitors, true competitors don't throw in the towel and hate it when someone else does it for them.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":nc1db6hw said:
Russ pick 6 changed the whole game.

Meyers is whatever.

I agree with the back end of the defense if we get a awesome safety we will be fine.

The offense lost the game today. The defense isnt good this yr but today i know lamar ran all over but 16 points allowed is fine. You win 90% of the time. The offense gave them 14.

Earl hates Pete.

The offense lost the game but the defense didnt help. We lose even without the pick 6 and fumble return. We couldn’t control the clock, couldn’t stop Lamar, couldn’t get off the field. And the offense couldn’t move the ball well

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
xray":278xflhw said:
They got whipped by a hungry road team ; with a QB that is almost impossible to contain by the defense . The defense were in awe of Jackson...they said so after . How about the weather factor ? The Hawks live in the Seattle area . Do they practice in a climate controlled practice facility ? Looked like it .They don't look fully prepared this season. 5-2 is a good record though but how sustainable ?

Jackson is basically a bigger faster version of Russell, it takes some fo serious discipline by your entire defense to make sure he stays contained. You watch the Patriots play the Ravens next week, and you'll see what a fundamental disciplined defense does against Jackson.

That's just not us this year.

- Bad scheme to begin with
- Poor tackling
- No pressure to cause mistakes
- Poor lane, fits and gap control

Just hasn't been a Pete Carroll kind of defensive effort thus far.........or maybe this is a Pete Carroll defense now. Idk. Hasn't been great in a while.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3vjmtkdq said:
xray":3vjmtkdq said:

Jackson is basically a bigger faster version of Russell, it takes some fo serious discipline by your entire defense to make sure he stays contained. You watch the Patriots play the Ravens next week, and you'll see what a fundamental disciplined defense does against Jackson.

That's just not us this year.

- Bad scheme to begin with
- Poor tackling
- No pressure to cause mistakes
- Poor lane, fits and gap control

Just hasn't been a Pete Carroll kind of defensive effort thus far.........or maybe this is a Pete Carroll defense now. Idk. Hasn't been great in a while.
Agree with everything you said. I'll wager the Pats hold him to under 200 TOTAL yards. Evil hoodie is always first and foremost about taking away what you do best and he has the horses to do it this year.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Agree with everything you said. I'll wager the Pats hold him to under 200 TOTAL yards. Evil hoodie is always first and foremost about taking away what you do best and he has the horses to do it this year

He's going to do something like 2 or 3 max d-linemen on the field and the rest all linebackers and backs who can run. He'll take away run lanes from Jackson with speed guys and we will all be frustrated watching it ;)

Figured I would put this in the game thread. I attended a game live for the first time since 2014. Maybe it was just luck that I was in a section / area of people who felt this way I was in (304), but was shocked at the negativity towards Russ. And it wasn't later in the game when things weren't going well or after the pick 6. Even early, comments like "is your arm sore" when he'd hand off. Snide comments about earning his salary etc. I know not 100% of the fan base will be behind a guy, even someone like Russ but hearing it as much as I did was still shocking.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":1hi54uv1 said:
Agree with everything you said. I'll wager the Pats hold him to under 200 TOTAL yards. Evil hoodie is always first and foremost about taking away what you do best and he has the horses to do it this year

He's going to do something like 2 or 3 max d-linemen on the field and the rest all linebackers and backs who can run. He'll take away run lanes from Jackson with speed guys and we will all be frustrated watching it ;)

Figured I would put this in the game thread. I attended a game live for the first time since 2014. Maybe it was just luck that I was in a section / area of people who felt this way I was in (304), but was shocked at the negativity towards Russ. And it wasn't later in the game when things weren't going well or after the pick 6. Even early, comments like "is your arm sore" when he'd hand off. Snide comments about earning his salary etc. I know not 100% of the fan base will be behind a guy, even someone like Russ but hearing it as much as I did was still shocking.
It's very, very sad isn't it?

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1rdxscoh said:
HawkRiderFan":1rdxscoh said:

It was. I had bought a ticket off ticketmaster and sat beside the guy who sold it. He was used to the negative talk. We just shook our heads and smiled at each other when we would hear them.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The run-run-pass is seen as the safest overall, but Russ has a higher ceiling than overall. I would like to see him pass more on the strategic level as that's a team strength. But more than this, I'd like to see more attempts at 4th down conversion, especially when more statistically probable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":2jankegq said:
hawksfansinceday1":2jankegq said:
HawkRiderFan":2jankegq said:

It was. I had bought a ticket off ticketmaster and sat beside the guy who sold it. He was used to the negative talk. We just shook our heads and smiled at each other when we would hear them.

Yeah for anyone that thinks all the Negative Nellies live in this forum, just go to a couple games, it's bad there too.

Maybe that's just the anxiety and tension of watching football as fans, we're all hyper critical in the moment and the negativity gets to us.

Idk, but anyone that thinks Russell's the problem, even when he's not playing all that great is an idiot. He's literally the only reason we're 5-2 right now.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":20lkv9dz said:
HawkRiderFan":20lkv9dz said:
hawksfansinceday1":20lkv9dz said:
HawkRiderFan":20lkv9dz said:

Yeah for anyone that thinks all the Negative Nellies live in this forum, just go to a couple games, it's bad there too.

Maybe that's just the anxiety and tension of watching football as fans, we're all hyper critical in the moment and the negativity gets to us.

Idk, but anyone that thinks Russell's the problem, even when he's not playing all that great is an idiot. He's literally the only reason we're 5-2 right now.
If we had Garoppolo we would be 2-5.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1dfdy8mq said:
HawkRiderFan":1dfdy8mq said:
hawksfansinceday1":1dfdy8mq said:
HawkRiderFan":1dfdy8mq said:

It's Seattle if your not Amazon, Google and Microsoft your a loser, so many Tech Geeks out there that don't understand most places you have to build something to be successful rather then buy out a company. I know we have Tech Geeks here and I am sure some of you fit that description, many others don't. The Imports to the City are the biggest part of this. They go to be part of something popular and not necessarily have been emotionally invested for years. But Society has headed towards that direction also for years. Being emotionally invested in something isn't happening as much as it used to, we have become a very disposable society in all aspects. Sports is a easy one to change allegiances with.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":3jhy16r8 said:
hawksfansinceday1":3jhy16r8 said:
HawkRiderFan":3jhy16r8 said:

I sit in 304. Not hearing this in my area.

D

DomeHawk

chris98251":1txnfgc7 said:
Sgt. Largent":1txnfgc7 said:
HawkRiderFan":1txnfgc7 said:
hawksfansinceday1":1txnfgc7 said:

It's Seattle if your not Amazon, Google and Microsoft your a loser, so many Tech Geeks out there that don't understand most places you have to build something to be successful rather then buy out a company. I know we have Tech Geeks here and I am sure some of you fit that description, many others don't. The Imports to the City are the biggest part of this. They go to be part of something popular and not necessarily have been emotionally invested for years. But Society has headed towards that direction also for years. Being emotionally invested in something isn't happening as much as it used to, we have become a very disposable society in all aspects. Sports is a easy one to change allegiances with.

Jezuzz Chris, it's just a game.

And yes, you're the only REAL fan.

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2hswfn8v said:
chris98251":2hswfn8v said:
Sgt. Largent":2hswfn8v said:
HawkRiderFan":2hswfn8v said:

Jezuzz Chris, it's just a game.

And yes, you're the only REAL fan.

Oh Peanut Gallery Central weighs in on me being a Real fan and that wasn't what I was saying, I was saying that people are not attached to teams win or lose anymore, they follow trends of winning in everything and if your not there then you a loser and not worth investing time with, this has been predominant in the tech industry since most move on after a couple years chasing the money or the headliners. We throw away EVERYTHING now rather then fix it, including relationships. It's how society has evolved unfortunately. It was nothing about being a Real Fan, if you want to stick a title on it old school fans versus New Age Fans.

I have .Net Hijacker in my Avatar but your really are the one that should have it, maybe .Net Attention Whore would be better.

olyfan63

Reaction score
sinceday1, that seems an unnecessary dig *here* but at least you appear to be a Rush fan. Nice pumpkin avatar!

Latest posts