Road Wins

nsport

Reaction score
Just a quick note to you guys - I didn't peruse all of the posts to see exactly how our "ugly win" was perceived - I personally didn't see it that way, I thought it was a nice road victory with lots of positives. Primarily I was happy with the defense and the offense managed to beat a team that really had excellent play from their front 7 while we overcame some less than stellar OL play. All positive - as I believe that this is the key ingredient in beating our NFC West foes, earning victories on the road, and forcing people to respect our pass game, which conversely will allow our run game to flourish as the season goes on. All good stuff!

The 2nd reason for the post today was some simple thoughts on perceived strong playoff teams and their road performances in week one:

1: Seattle - WIN - beat Carolina 12-7.
2: New England - WIN - beat Buffalo in the closing minutes - poor performance overall from NE
3: Atlanta - LOSS - Awful performance at New Orleans
4: Tampa - LOSS - Road loss to what is perceived to be a bottom feeder in the AFC
5: Kansas City - WIN - Excellent win by KC on the road against a poor team in Jacksonville
6: Miami - WIN - Quality win against a very strong defense on the road in Cleveland
7: Cincinnati - LOSS - Close game on the road, if my memory is correct this was a quality road performance by Cincinnati. Chicago is a good team.
8: Green Bay - LOSS - Made this game closer than it should have been - GB defense again had no answer for SF.
9: NY Giants - LOSS - Another game that you gotta give credit that they came back, but they did not have a great performance against Dallas
10: Houston - WIN - Week first half, strong second half. SD put up a fight at home, but typical early lead unable to be held by a weak defense
11: Baltimore - LOSS - I didn't think they would be a factor in this game - leading at the half but falling to conditioning in the 2nd half against Denver

Really when you chalk that up on a road record for these playoff-caliber teams, the overall road record was 5-6, with only 2 of those as "quality wins" - everybody else lost. If we can keep up the grind-it-out wins on the road, I think we are in for a great season. As you can see, road wins are really a tough thing to get on the road, unless you are playing Jacksonville or Buffalo. :)

Other notable road wins that were not included: Philadelphia, Tennessee - neither team was really considered a preseason contender for the playoffs.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
What I like best about the 12-7 win is that it's going to quiet the hype a bit surrounding the team. Pundits will say, "It was a win, but..." a lot, and the Seahawks will likely see a drop in various power rankings.

This outcome is like a physical manifestation of Cable's symbolic trashing of the preseason hype, and it will help keep the team a bit more grounded and focused, imo.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
nsport":1sxf49as said:
As you can see, road wins are really a tough thing to get on the road, unless you are playing Jacksonville or Buffalo. :)

Road wins are even harder to get at home! :mrgreen:
(Sorry, I just had to...)

OP
OP
nsport

nsport

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1nejswjq said:
nsport":1nejswjq said:
As you can see, road wins are really a tough thing to get on the road, unless you are playing Jacksonville or Buffalo. :)

This is a function of not having coffee yet. I totally agree with your assessment of my crappy choice of redundant reuse of words. :)

A

Anonymous

Well, word redundancy is, well, a tough thing to overcome sometimes. I mean, you go to the well of knowledge in your brain to find a word that fits well in a sentence, then you fit it in a well-placed spot, then you stand back and squint to see it really well. A feeling well's-up inside you as you admire your well-constructed sentence. You read it very well and think you typed it well, but somebody will always have a problem with how well you've done. Sometimes I just say, "well, hell with it", and hit submit anyway.

Well? Anybody can anybody else explain it that well?

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
GeekHawk":3w8bk610 said:
nsport":3w8bk610 said:

+1

OP
OP
nsport

nsport

Reaction score
Uhh.... I feel like the Kracken from Carolina right now. :)

Latest posts