Seahawks and Panthers in bidding war for Baker, EDIT: Panthers Outbid Hawks

W

Welshers

EDIT: Panthers have traded for Mayfield. Looks like I called this one guys, telling everyone there was going to be a bidding war. The Panthers ultimately outbid the Hawks. My sources said Seattle didn't want to pick up more than $3m of Baker's salary. A deal was almost done but Carolina came in at the last minute and offered to pick up 4.5 and got Mayfield instead of Seattle. Bummer as we would have been instant contenders with him, but good call from me nonetheless.

Wow. So a deal was almost done to bring our savior to Seattle but then the Panthers entered the mix. We are still actively trying for Baker.

Last edited by a moderator:

nanomoz

Reaction score
There’s no bidding war. The Browns are desperate and are having their lackeys in the twitterverse make noise in hopes of getting something done.

Fersher.

A bidding war? The dude's been available and the Browns have been in a precarious situation for months.

If it's a bidding war, the compensation is approximately a Taco Bell value meal, and throwing in a fuggin' churro probably gets it done.

GemCity

Reaction score
SuperBowl bound if we get Shake and Baker Mayfield!

15-2!!!

MVP!

Lead the league in check downs baby!!!

Letsssssss Riiiiiiiiiiddd….

Gimme a break.

BASF

Reaction score
My sources tell me it's basically done. In a day or two baker will be a Hawk. We are trying to get the trade down to one 1st instead of 2
At most they will give us a sixth to take his salary off their books.

chrispy

Reaction score
The mystery 3rd team is obviously the Browns trying to force something.

But, to fill the time, if Baker ends up going to the Giants or Houston or Carolina or Tennessee, would it be worthwhile to pick up someone they cut loose? I don't know their QB rooms well enough to guess who they'd drop.

Rainger

Reaction score
Who is this Guy??? An employee at the Browns or Bakers best buddie trying to get BM out of Cleveland???

How is it that only this guy has info?? Welsher who is "your source"

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
There was a time when this kind of post was required to have "Rumor:..." in the title, since there's mostly smoke here and no fire.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
I hope that this is not true. I really want to see Lock or Geno seize the opportunity and make the most of this season.

But, the Seahawks will be up for sale sometime soon and maybe having a known quantity at quarterback would add both value and a feeling of confidence to a prospective buyer. Maybe the Seahawks "product" is not in "rebuild" mode, but are in "hand-off" mode.

With the thought of a Seahawks sale in mind...I would be disappointed if they brought in Mayfield. That whole Browns story stinks and could be a distraction to the team chemistry. He is an "on sale item in the bargain bin" with a questionable personality and talent.

As the Paul Allen era ends, I really hope that this current group of players can put together an exciting and winning season, without a new quarterback. Drafting a talented rookie next year would put our cap into a really sweet place, with all the young players that comprise our current lineup. But, of course, that is providing that we roll the dice of next years draft into a winner. If not...that will be the time to consider adding Baker Mayfield.

Donn2390

Reaction score
I hope that this is not true. I really want to see Lock or Geno seize the opportunity and make the most of this season.

But, the Seahawks will be up for sale sometime soon and maybe having a known quantity at quarterback would add both value and a feeling of confidence to a prospective buyer. Maybe the Seahawks "product" is not in "rebuild" mode, but are in "hand-off" mode.

With the thought of a Seahawks sale in mind...I would be disappointed if they brought in Mayfield. That whole Browns story stinks and could be a distraction to the team chemistry. He is an "on sale item in the bargain bin" with a questionable personality and talent.

As the Paul Allen era ends, I really hope that this current group of players can put together an exciting and winning season, without a new quarterback. Drafting a talented rookie next year would put our cap into a really sweet place, with all the young players that comprise our current lineup. But, of course, that is providing that we roll the dice of next years draft into a winner. If not...that will be the time to consider adding Baker Mayfield.
When and if the Hawks go up for sale, it won't matter if they haven't won a game in years. some billionaire will put up the cash convinced they can fix the problem. After all, there are no second choices, NFL teams for sale aren't plentiful, it's a once in a life time opportunity, you have the coin, you take the risk. Anyone who can toss 5 bill around for a toy isn't concerned about money. It's an investment if nothing else the value will increase many fold in a very short time period.. It definately is not a hand off mode...