Reed suspended 6 games....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Blitzer88":289usore said:
Well crap...........no wonder they've been interested in bringing back Rubin.

Also, if there were no charges or arrests how can he be suspended, but Tyree Hill is off without a suspension???

I guess the NFL bought Hill's insistence that it was his GF, and not him that hurt their child after the investigation and charges were dropped.............and I guess they didn't buy Reed's side of the story after their investigation.

It's all bad, but yes the NFL does seem arbitrary and all over the map when it comes to who they decide and who they don't decide to suspend.

Chapow

Reaction score
In domestic violence cases the victim does not get to choose whether to press or drop charges or not, that is up to the prosecutor.

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/washingto ... -laws.html

I Changed My Mind. Can I Drop the Charges?

No, you cannot. If charges are filed, only the prosecutor has the authority to drop them. A judge must approve the prosecutor's request to dismiss a case. The victim is a witness for the state and has no authority to drop charges. In many cases, the State will prosecute a case even if the victim refuses to testify.

In other words, the victim can't be paid off into dropping or not pressing charges. If the prosecutor believes there is enough evidence to convict, they will prosecute regardless of the victims wishes.

So dropped/no charges do mean something. They mean that there either isn't enough evidence to convict, or that whatever happened doesn't warrant prosecution.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
If common sense is used.....the victim could change their story after being "hushed" with $$$ or some other motivation. A changed story could lead to the investigation being dropped.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Chapow":1s80dg0y said:
In domestic violence cases the victim does not get to choose whether to press or drop charges or not, that is up to the prosecutor.

No, you cannot. If charges are filed, only the prosecutor has the authority to drop them. A judge must approve the prosecutor's request to dismiss a case. The victim is a witness for the state and has no authority to drop charges. In many cases, the State will prosecute a case even if the victim refuses to testify.

In other words, the victim can't be paid off into dropping or not pressing charges. If the prosecutor believes there is enough evidence to convict, they will prosecute regardless of the victims wishes.

So dropped/no charges do mean something. They mean that there either isn't enough evidence to convict, or that whatever happened doesn't warrant prosecution.

"If charges are filed". If no charges were filed because there wasn't enough evidence and/or the victim was compelled to not go through with filing them means they still could be paid off, especially if the prosecutor doesn't think the victim will testify in a manner that makes it worth everyone's time.

He needs to keep his hands off women. Hopefully we don't re-sign him. Those aren't the kinds of people I want to win with anyways.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I'm sorry but you will never convince me it's right to suspend a guy for something the justice system ruled there wasn't enough to charge him for

GLio14

Reaction score
Never arrested, never charged, never proven this happened. This is actually a load of garbage.

How can you let this happen when Tyreek Hill has a history, and was caught on tape admitting with pride to doing everything he done? NFL really has a lot of explaining to do.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't like it either, but I do think the NFL as an entertainment business should have the right to choose who represents them. It's really no different from a news network dropping a host for dumb/controversial comments.

I don't agree with their conclusions here when you compare Reed and Hill's track records. Hill has a long list of transgressions including being arrested in college for choking a pregnant girlfriend. Is Reed really tarnishing the NFL's image more than that?? Either there is some evidence that was kept hushed up at the time or Reed is really getting a bum deal here in his contract year.

Chapow

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3ulfsjln said:
Chapow":3ulfsjln said:

"If charges are filed". If no charges were filed because there wasn't enough evidence and/or the victim was compelled to not go through with filing them means they still could be paid off, especially if the prosecutor doesn't think the victim will testify in a manner that makes it worth everyone's time.

He needs to keep his hands off women. Hopefully we don't re-sign him. Those aren't the kinds of people I want to win with anyways.

Again, in DV cases the victim doesn't get to decide whether to file charges or not, the prosecutor does. There is no such thing as "the victim being compelled into not filing charges" in DV cases. It doesn't work that way.

But yes, a victim can be compelled into not cooperating with the prosecution, obviously. And we have no idea if that is the case here or not. We also don't have any idea what happened. I would hope that if he actually assaulted a woman that he would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2hjmrzdd said:
I'm sorry but you will never convince me it's right to suspend a guy for something the justice system ruled there wasn't enough to charge him for

Many employees can be dismissed for conduct that is neither egregious or illegal. As a physician I can have my license revoked for having any romantic involvement with a patient. Funny that this happens on TV medical shows all the time, but in the real world its a big ethical no-no.

NFL has standards. Don't even get close to an altercation with a woman or you can be suspended. Everyone knows it. How hard is it really to follow that dictum?

Chapow

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1usmladp said:
NFL has standards. Don't even get close to an altercation with a woman or you can be suspended. Everyone knows it. How hard is it really to follow that dictum?

I don't know. Ask Tyreek Hill.

Oh wait. That was a small child, not a grown woman. Well, this time. The first time it was a grown woman. A pregnant grown woman.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Mad Dog":35yidac7 said:
therealjohncarlson":35yidac7 said:

Many employees can be dismissed for conduct that is neither egregious or illegal. As a physician I can have my license revoked for having any romantic involvement with a patient. Funny that this happens on TV medical shows all the time, but in the real world its a big ethical no-no.

Umm "romantic involvement with a patient" if indeed is able to be proven, is something clearly crossing a line that has been established. You either were involved with a patient romantically or you wren't.. it would be unfair if your job thought you might have been in a relationship with a patient but without being completely sure they can your ass, wouldn't it?

What exactly is "getting close to an altercation with a woman"? An inch away from her? Yelling at her and pretending to punch her? We have clear lines for a reason.. he either got into a physical altercation with her or he did not. And justifying punishing someone who didn't necessary get into a fight by saying they shouldn't be in that position at all is dangerous and takes power away from the individual. (Not to mention it's throwing those who hit their wives and those who showed restraint to not hit their wives in the same category, which is F'd up)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Terrible obviously, but bright side is it might drive his extension demands down a little.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Seymour":3ualj8en said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3ualj8en said:
If he hit a woman, eff him. At least we didn't give him a big contract before the suspension and if we do keep him it may be at a discount.

I

Charges dropped means squat in this case. God says guilty and now Pete and John have to choose a side.

Charges were NOT dropped, there was never an arrest and there were never any charges. Happened before the 2017 and 2018 seasons, two full seasons ago. They sure work slowly....

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":6lawm7nk said:
Terrible obviously, but bright side is it might drive his extension demands down a little.

We have a zero DV tolerance policy. This guilty verdict by Goodell means he is off the team by all rights.

McGruff

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1p3y6v8t said:
Seahawks Twitter is already blowing up in condemnation of Reed. Cant imagine what would happen if we re-signed him now.

McGruff

Reaction score
Seymour":1spfvjw9 said:
Sgt. Largent":1spfvjw9 said:

We have a zero DV tolerance policy. This guilty verdict by Goodell means he is off the team by all rights.

Like this kind of condemnation.

Reed has not been arrested, charged, or convicted of DV.