Random Thoughts™ on the Saints playoff game

Jville

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2a5k1sae said:
I'll add my own random thought if that's allowed:

Count me in the minuscule "do not pay Tate" group. Tate's disappearing act in crucial games is wearing really thin. Dude was useless once Harvin got hurt. He is not worth the $6+ million per year that someone is going to pay him. Let's get a WR with some SIZE. Tate has to have a better WR than he is on the field with him to truly be effective.

The fumble on the on side good hands team caught my eye. That misplayed fielding error was a break down in basic fundamentals. I keep thinking Tate will eliminate those big negative plays. But, they keep returning to neutralize his contributions.

Reaction score
ivotuk":26xeg1u6 said:
The non fumble was legit and was why Pete didn't challenge.
Ummmm, not sure how that wasn't a fumble, unless it was ruled he got pushed to the ground by a hawk player before he got back up and fumbled BEFORE his knee hit...

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
I think we finally found a Left Guard. Bowie played very well and his blocks sprung Marshawn on a couple big runs. That is an extremely positive development as LG was arguably the weakest position on the team.

Reaction score
The Russ apologizers keep saying that the WR's are dropping passes (and they have dropped some), but you still need to see RW throwing behind receivers, over-throwing receivers, throwing at the feet of receivers...he hasn't been playing great lately despite what folks are seeing. I wonder if that left shoulder is bothering him way more than what he's been letting on...

BUT. A win is a win in the Playoffs. Survive and Advance.

Seeker

Reaction score
I don't really blame bevell for the that throw call on first down. he saw that they had no safety up top and a big play would have been nail in the coffin. I agree with being aggressive in that situaiton.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
That was definitely a fumble and a missed call. The only think I wonder is if Pete challenges it, do they rule immediate clear possession and give Seattle the ball? Correct me if I am wrong, but even with the Wagner penalty, could we not have still challenged, and got the ball 15 yards further back?

Were two of those FGs due to stalled drives inside the red zone or just the one? Going up 20-0 at halftime would have only been a 4 point differnce but might hav avoided the drmatiics at the end

jewhawk

Reaction score
kearly":35sf7nuy said:
If Lynch slides in bounds the clock would have reached the 2 minute warning. The Saints had no timeouts. 1st, 2nd, 3rd down. 3 knees. 2 minutes off the clock. Game. Another first was not needed.
This was my initial thought too, but the ball was snapped on the Lynch TD play at 2:48 and he scored at 2:40. If he slides at 2:41, we have to run another play before the 2 minute warning. I think not sliding is fine in that situation.

AVL

Reaction score
Trade Wilson for a second and a truck load of skittles.

Boutte

Reaction score
Robinson's arm and elbow were in contact with the turf. Anything other than hands or feet is down.

Since kicking our butts in the first game you guys have been on a bit of a slide. I wouldn't worry too much about Wilson's game today. The conditions were terrible for passing. He and Luck are are going to be the Brady/Manning of the next decade.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
If you can't sit back for 24 hours and enjoy a playoff win, I don't even know why some of you guys are fans. Isn't this why we are fans? To enjoy victories? Didn't most of us, well, some of us, sit through the rain at Husky Stadium, the half empty Kingdome, Rick Mirer, Stan Gelbaugh, all of that just hoping that one day we would win playoff games?

And you can rip that 3rd and 3 play call, but in terms of strategy, it was a sound decision. Seahawks had been running slants on third down all game. Saints were jumping on it with tight press man to man. One of the best way to beat man to man? Rub routes and the slant/wheel concept. Which is exactly what happened, Wilson put the ball where it need to be, Baldwin made a play.

The offensive gameplanning was conservative and unimaginative. However, this was more on execution. Tate and Baldwin had plenty of opportunities to extend drives. Offense didn't play well, against a good defense, in a playoff game, and guess what, the Seahawks still won.

But, let's mope around and bitch about everything the team did wrong instead of enjoying the win, enjoying the great play by the defense, and enjoying the fact that the team is one win from the Super Bowl.

This fan base, for the most part, has a higher level of football knowledge than most. And I think the analytic sense detracts from the emotions of a fan sometimes.

Success is fleeting my friends, take a few minutes and enjoy it.

Reaction score
Boutte":3s7lagm3 said:
Robinson's arm and elbow were in contact with the turf. Anything other than hands or feet is down.

Since kicking our butts in the first game you guys have been on a bit of a slide. I wouldn't worry too much about Wilson's game today. The conditions were terrible for passing. He and Luck are are going to be the Brady/Manning of the next decade.
Nope, needs to be touched. If he stayed down, he would have been called down. Same as when a receiver makes a catch, falls down, and gets back up and runs before nobody touches him.

zifnab32

Reaction score
MissoulaHawkFan":2ju967an said:
ivotuk":2ju967an said:
Ummmm, not sure how that wasn't a fumble, unless it was ruled he got pushed to the ground by a hawk player before he got back up and fumbled BEFORE his knee hit...

Got touched by a DL and his elbow hit the ground prior to the hit that caused the fumble, he was down.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1zwmfao7 said:
More negativity. Bleh.

By all means create a long winded post with your statistical findings on how epically great we played this game.

Lbh, we largely played like crap, and there were tons of moments where you just were either scratching your head or were cringing tough.

We were fortunate to pull out the win with the way we played. Tons of mistakes, or as Pete would say, opportunities to improve.

BlueOne

Reaction score
zifnab32":1t3kzble said:
MissoulaHawkFan":1t3kzble said:
ivotuk":1t3kzble said:

Got touched by a DL and his elbow hit the ground prior to the hit that caused the fumble, he was down.

That is what the ref rules, which is why he blew the whistle prior to the Seahawks recovering the ball and thus the play was dead and unchallengable. That said, I've watched the replay and I'm pretty sure the call was incorrect.

Reaction score
BlueOne":3o1dshk1 said:
zifnab32":3o1dshk1 said:
MissoulaHawkFan":3o1dshk1 said:
ivotuk":3o1dshk1 said:

That is what the ref rules, which is why he blew the whistle prior to the Seahawks recovering the ball and thus the play was dead and unchallengable. That said, I've watched the replay and I'm pretty sure the call was incorrect.
Gotcha. They never showed when he got hit by the DL on TV. Thanks for clarifying what happened folks!

kigenzun

Reaction score
Pros:
Excellent play by Bowie at LG.
Doug Baldwin play of the game.
Marshawn Lynch game ball.
The wind basically scored us 6 points!
Hauschka is money!!! He personally outscored the whole Saints team until :27 seconds left in the 4th quarter.
Russell Wilson= Zero Turnovers.
Cons:
Percy Harvin & Golden Tate both being concussed once or twice or thrice. But hmmm.... no calls for obvious headhunting.
Of course... the referee being from New Orleans; born and raised, and living there now. I mean, that simple fact should make a ref ineligible.
The holding call on Breno on Turbo's big run. Same on Okung, when it looked like we were going to blow them out of the building.
The dropped pick opportunities. Any one of those would've sealed the game.
The gift of a 15 yard automatic first penalty on Wagner at the bottom of a fumble scrum. For what... recovering the football?
The gift of a 5 yard auto first on Clemons for what I originally thought was intentional grounding. 2nd and 15. Incomplete. Oh wait ref calls it an automatic first down. Gee whiz.
Earl Thomas paying the "ultimate price".

Bottomline:
W.
AND I'M ECSTATIC!!!
GO HAWKS!!!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Scottemojo":aqsx66rg said:
Tate got dinged in the head. He might have escaped the doctors, but the effects showed afterwards.

The Saints coaches were congratulating Bush after his cheap shot on Harvin. Bush league bullshit. IDK why he can't be back next week, concussion protocol is 6 days, with some practice allowed. I always kind of liked the Saints, but not after that shit today.
Agreed. Personally I am pissed and my estimation of the Saints and their sorry ass fans dropped into Arizona territory and quickly entering Ram territory. I am disgusted with the bullshit they got away with.

Reaction score
seahawk2k":1rtzg5g3 said:
If you can't sit back for 24 hours and enjoy a playoff win, I don't even know why some of you guys are fans. Isn't this why we are fans? To enjoy victories? Didn't most of us, well, some of us, sit through the rain at Husky Stadium, the half empty Kingdome, Rick Mirer, Stan Gelbaugh, all of that just hoping that one day we would win playoff games?

And you can rip that 3rd and 3 play call, but in terms of strategy, it was a sound decision. Seahawks had been running slants on third down all game. Saints were jumping on it with tight press man to man. One of the best way to beat man to man? Rub routes and the slant/wheel concept. Which is exactly what happened, Wilson put the ball where it need to be, Baldwin made a play.

The offensive gameplanning was conservative and unimaginative. However, this was more on execution. Tate and Baldwin had plenty of opportunities to extend drives. Offense didn't play well, against a good defense, in a playoff game, and guess what, the Seahawks still won.

But, let's mope around and bitch about everything the team did wrong instead of enjoying the win, enjoying the great play by the defense, and enjoying the fact that the team is one win from the Super Bowl.

This fan base, for the most part, has a higher level of football knowledge than most. And I think the analytic sense detracts from the emotions of a fan sometimes.

Great post, I agree with everything here. I was dancing with joy after the game and about driving my wife nuts :)

To add...it was a playoff game in tough weather for both teams. The defense played lights out again while leaving two picks on the field. The offense was controlled and did enough to win while leaving some on the field as well.

But dammit we WON and are moving on...and don't forget the Saints were one of the 4 best teams in the conference, one of the best QBs in the sport, and a high rated defense.

Also feel fortunate that we didn't get injured up like KC experienced. I believe Percy will play next week.

We won and are healthy. Go Hawks!

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
seahawk2k":3necypra said:

Dude, this isn't about winning a playoff game. We've done that. This is about winning a Super Bowl. Everything is viewed through that prism. Any potential impediments to that goal are identified and evaluated. Why do people have a problem with that? If you enjoyed today's win and saw nothing that caused you concern then I admire your rose colored glasses. Thankfully Carroll and his staff don't think like that. Pete has already called out the tackling in his presser. I guess that makes Positive Pete "negative" and a "moper" and a "bitcher". :roll:

Some of you just need to start a Seahawks religion where you can burn the infidels that dare to question your gods: Carroll, Schneider, Wilson, and Harvin. Stop feeling so threatened when someone disagrees with you and stop acting so smug as if you're a better fan than everyone else because you never say a mean word about your beloved team. You're not a better fan. You're a robot. It's seriously creepy.

The NFL is a business. Never forget that.