Rams Fan First Post

OP
OP
M

mr.stlouis

Reaction score
kearly":2zan3ybv said:
There is a line to be drawn where an NFL starting QB goes from acceptable to not good enough. Right now, I'd call it the Dalton/Bradford line, because Andy Dalton is just barely on the good side of it and Sam Bradford is maybe the 1st quarterback on the bad side of it.

I know Bradford hasn't had weapons, but he just lacks the body language, subtleties, and intangibles of a top shelf QB. And truth be told, he never had them even at Oklahoma where he was damn good. I think as a pure system/timing/chemistry QB at a place that runs spread like New England, he could be good, but as a prototypical QB that is asked to improvise, I think he'll always be mediocre.

I am eternally grateful that the Rams drafted Bradford. If they hadn't, RG3 might be a Ram right now. And even if the alternate universe Rams hadn't gotten Bradford or RG3, they'd probably be bad enough this season to have a shot at Teddy Bridgewater or Tahj Boyd. Basically, Bradford is keeping his team in the bubble of mediocrity- too good to rebuild, to but not good enough to seriously contend for a championship. As a Seahawks fan who lived through the 1990's, I can tell you that this isn't a place you want to be.

On the plus side, I think Tavon Austin is legit, and Fisher is a very good coach in game. I thought the Rams draft was probably the best in the NFC West this year, at least in terms of starters added.

Very interesting! We've discussed numerous times on Rams forums on Bradford's leadership qualities. One thing is for certain, this has been Jackson's team for several years and Bradford knew it. With Jackson gone, Bradford admitted there was a leadership void that he must step up and fill. That's when we first got a glimpse of an interview like this...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=woQmusGito4

This IS NOT the same humble, passive, Bradford we all know. Dig around, Bradford has never looked this confident or commanding like he has when Jackson left. Reports from camp indicate Rams's offense this year will more resemble the spread offense like Sam ran in college rather than the "power-I/dink and dunk" offense of the last few years. It's a totally different team and a totally different Bradford. Bradford is "The Man" in STL now and he carries himself in that manner. Look for it when the real games start up. I believe you will be surprised.

pinksheets

Reaction score
A guy who has to wait for a leadership void isn't really a natural leader, though.

Bradford and Ponder are both in that boat of never-gonna-be-good-enough types whose supporters will tend to lean towards their weapons being the problem more so than them. It creates a state of perpetuity that I fully support our NFC West rivals to adopt.

HawkWow

Reaction score
bestfightstory":t7vnw3yx said:
Scottemojo":t7vnw3yx said:
mr.stlouis":t7vnw3yx said:
Hello Seahawk fans!You guys look to have a high quality forum here. I expect a very competitive division race within the highly respected NFCW this year. I assure you I am no troll, but am very passionate of the Rams. I look forward to exchanging opinions of our two teams this year. It's gonna be a great year beingwe are fans of teams in the toughest division in football. It's amazing how much our teams have grown over the last 3 seasons.

Beat the Niners and we can forgive your condition.

In their first meeting, yes. I think the Niners could be buried in the first half of the season if we and the Rams take care of business.

But by the time December 1st rolls around, I won't be surprised if this forum is hoping for the Niners to tag an 'L' on St Louis.

I couldn't agree more. I just have a hunch things are not going to go as well as the pundits predict for SF. Kaep doesn't strike me as the cerebral type, and unless he's this generation's Terry Bradshaw, I think he will throw as many Ints as TDs this year. Not all his fault, but I think that's what the numbers will show regardless.

Jeff Fischer couldn't be in a better spot right now. I'd be willing to bet JS is envious, perhaps PC as well. Lots of bulletin board stuff out there for the Lambs and on top of that, their D line alone will keep them in a lot of games. As always, it will depend on Bradford, but if he stays healthy, I think Harbaugh will be happy with a 2nd place finish in the division. There's a lot of people (outside SF) picking them to represent the NFC. IMO, that makes them the most over-rated team in the league. Offensively, I don't think they are great. Gore is getting old, they have no true 1 WR (or KR) and Kaep won't surprise anyone (this year). I will be disappointed if we don't get the sweep.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I just don't think Bradford is particularly any good. If him standing up straighter in an interview convinces you we're seeing a sea change, have at it. :th2thumbs:

I'm just saying, I want a franchise quarterback to come in and take over that team and lockerroom, Bradford didn't, he deferred. It doesn't mean he won't put up decent numbers, I just think it means he's not a natural leader.

OP
OP
M

mr.stlouis

Reaction score
pinksheets":1f081uj5 said:
A guy who has to wait for a leadership void isn't really a natural leader, though.

Bradford and Ponder are both in that boat of never-gonna-be-good-enough types whose supporters will tend to lean towards their weapons being the problem more so than them. It creates a state of perpetuity that I fully support our NFC West rivals to adopt.

And THIS is where we agree to disagree. You think Steven Jackson was the leader he became to be while he was learning the game behind the great Marshall Faulk? No sir. And Sam's leadership was never questioned when he was the ROTY honors in 2010. Sam is still developing going into his fourth season. But to write him off after completing 3 seasons is a very cynical thing to do. HOF Troy Aikman's (A QB Bradford resembles) first three seasons seasons weren't impressive, either. But did the Cowboys do? Gave him a terrific OL, excellent weapons (Irvin), and turned him loose. The same format is happening here.

Bradford's first three seasons are better than E. Manning's first 3 seasons. Eli was receiving a lot of criticism. I think that turned out alright.

It's OK, though. Bradford's success = the Seahawk's failure

I understand that. We all need to believe our team is the best. We are rivals, after all. ;)

OP
OP
M

mr.stlouis

Reaction score
pinksheets":36k9ls5h said:
I just don't think Bradford is particularly any good. If him standing up straighter in an interview convinces you we're seeing a sea change, have at it. :th2thumbs:

I'm just saying, I want a franchise quarterback to come in and take over that team and lockerroom, Bradford didn't, he deferred. It doesn't mean he won't put up decent numbers, I just think it means he's not a natural leader.

I got you, man. :th2thumbs: lol

As long as he's a natural TD thrower then I could care less. :D

HawksFan5704

Reaction score
Something that hasn't been discussed here is the RUN game. If there is no solid run game, Bradford will be under duress ALOT. In a division where DL's and LB's are pretty good, no run game will make him lunch meat for opposing defenses...

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Never ever over look a Jeff Fisher team. I am not a Rams fan by any stretch of the imagination but I am a huge JF fan. The guy is a great coach.

RedAlice

Reaction score
v1rotv2":uw048w8h said:
Never ever over look a Jeff Fisher team. I am not a Rams fan by any stretch of the imagination but I am a huge JF fan. The guy is a great coach.

This.

As of last year this is Fisher's team. And all of the new young excited talent is his to work with. For a long time. Fisher did damn good last year, and I'm so in love with him controlling the Rams' future.

If I want a Bradford debate, I can visit a Rams board. Nothing new is said here, there is nothing new to say. Games will be played. Facts will be.

RedAlice

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3c6v5moh said:
bubbrubb":3c6v5moh said:
Weird...I AM buying the hype because Bradford is the QB.

That must be some good stuff you're smokin'.

I like the boy. Just over the constant debate on both sides. It's time for silence and play on the field. End.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RedAlice":1idiy1sk said:
I like the boy. Just over the constant debate on both sides. It's time for silence and play on the field. End.

Liking him is just fine. Heck, look at how many of us like Tarvaris Jackson as a person and teammate in that T.J. thread; doesn't mean he's a good NFL player, though. As you refer to though, this is a pivotal year for him. I think most Rams fans will start calling for blood at the end of the year if he doesn't improve.

OP
OP
M

mr.stlouis

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":83bwiyfy said:
RedAlice":83bwiyfy said:

Liking him is just fine. Heck, look at how many of us like Tarvaris Jackson as a person and teammate in that T.J. thread; doesn't mean he's a good NFL player, though. As you refer to though, this is a pivotal year for him. I think most Rams fans will start calling for blood at the end of the year if he doesn't improve.

It's weird, some fans have been calling for blood ever since we didn't draft Suh.

RedAlice

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2mo3vv2b said:
RedAlice":2mo3vv2b said:

Start? Rams boards have made trolling about Bradford a full time profession already.

Fisher will figure it out. He did not come to the Rams to be mediocre. Bradford may become what he needs to, or lots of draft picks to play w next year.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
mr.stlouis":utxwy6zv said:
It's weird, some fans have been calling for blood ever since we didn't draft Suh.

A lot of fans (for all franchises, Seahawks included) just want to be able to say they called it. *shrug* I'd say grabbing Suh and having another season with 3-4 wins to get a QB the following year might have been a better option, but hey, hindsight is always perfect, you know? I'm not sure you had the coaching at the time to become a long-term winning team, though. Your owner should try to make The Stache© sign a 10-year contract, haha. He's a very good coach.

Latest posts