Votes: 134 56.3%
  • Overpaid

Votes: 102 42.9%
  • Underpaid

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

bigcc

Reaction score
Could not disagree more. Heck, the Cowboys were offering a second for Thomas when he was still a great safety and we kept holding out for a first. Any comp, if we get one, will be end of the third round. The wins this year were absolutely meaningless. If we had made the playoffs, we'd have been out in the Wildcard round. If we miraculously survived that, we'd have been destroyed in the next game. No way we were beating Detroit again. We caught them early and they weren't ready for us, since we had looked so bad against the Rams. They'd have crushed us.

One of the dumbest trades of the Carroll era and that's saying a lot, given how many clunkers we've seen. We had one great trade, and Pete was forced into it because Russ made clear he wasn't signing another contract. It's clear Schneider was ready to let him go A LOT sooner.
We would have played the bucs, the missed game winning field goal after lock handed them the game winning drive with an int to lose by 1 was against the rams.

I don't know if we even would have beaten the bucs, my point is that I think it's fair to judge the trade on the season results... We were 5-2 and 1st in the division,we weren't trying to rescue a doomed season at that time.

I agree 100 percent about Pete's trades in general, but this was Far from the dumbest.... Like not even close

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Could not disagree more. Heck, the Cowboys were offering a second for Thomas when he was still a great safety and we kept holding out for a first. Any comp, if we get one, will be end of the third round. The wins this year were absolutely meaningless. If we had made the playoffs, we'd have been out in the Wildcard round. If we miraculously survived that, we'd have been destroyed in the next game. No way we were beating Detroit again. We caught them early and they weren't ready for us, since we had looked so bad against the Rams. They'd have crushed us.

One of the dumbest trades of the Carroll era and that's saying a lot, given how many clunkers we've seen. We had one great trade, and Pete was forced into it because Russ made clear he wasn't signing another contract. It's clear Schneider was ready to let him go A LOT sooner.
It's irrelevant whether he's re-signed. Could have signed him in the off season without giving up any picks. We got a ten game rental for a second and a fifth in a year where we weren't going anywhere anyway. In fact, we'd probably have higher picks had he not been there. Any wins he caused are meaningless. Was major malpractice to trade for him and, in my view, a more than fireable offense. A selfish and wasteful move by a head coach looking out primarily for himself. Should have stepped down a few years back rather than running the team like a spoiled, entitled kid running his own little football fiefdom. So glad Jody finally stepped in.
Wow. It's been a while since not only the conclusion of a post, but every single supporting point, was wrong.

For me, that's a gross understatement. I'm pounding my fists over loss of that second and want to string someone up.
Have you considered therapy?

Parallax

Reaction score
If we can sign Williams to a 3-4 year extension then this is a fair trade.
There is some solid DLine in this class, but honestly I prefer Williams over whose available in the draft simply because of M/M, I believe he will have Williams become this team's Michael Bennett! I can see him moving Williams all up & down the line. Jones & Williams could be in for Monster '24
What does the trade have to do with signing the guy now? He's a free agent. If we can sign him, which I doubt, we could have done so without sending the Giants a 2nd and 5th.

Parallax

Reaction score
We would have played the bucs, the missed game winning field goal after lock handed them the game winning drive with an int to lose by 1 was against the rams.

I don't know if we even would have beaten the bucs, my point is that I think it's fair to judge the trade on the season results... We were 5-2 and 1st in the division,we weren't trying to rescue a doomed season at that time.

I agree 100 percent about Pete's trades in general, but this was Far from the dumbest.... Like not even close
See, to me it seemed obvious that that 5-2 record was an illusion. The only impressive win was against the Lions and it seemed clear they had looked past us after that atrocious home loss to the Rams.

bigcc

Reaction score
What does the trade have to do with signing the guy now? He's a free agent. If we can sign him, which I doubt, we could have done so without sending the Giants a 2nd and 5th.
We can sign him whether he wants to be here or not lol.

For the exact same reason we couldn't have just signed him this year.

The giants would have tagged him, as can we

You should be familiar with the concept of tagging and trading, Texans sent clowney for a 3rd/Martin/Mingo, we sent clark and a 3rd to the chiefs for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

The 3rd round comp is likely the worst return we'd get.

You keep defending Schneider, I don't know why you don't think he will get anything back for him.

Last edited:

bigcc

Reaction score
See, to me it seemed obvious that that 5-2 record was an illusion. The only impressive win was against the Lions and it seemed clear they had looked past us after that atrocious home loss to the Rams.
I can just as easily have said at the time that the rams was just a fluke to start the season after going 5-1 the next 6, with the one loss being at Cincinnati by 4 points before burrow got hurt, come on dude

Parallax

Reaction score
We can sign him whether he wants to be here or not lol.

For the exact same reason we couldn't have just signed him this year.

The giants would have tagged him, as can we

You should be familiar with the concept of tagging and trading, Texans sent clowney for a 3rd/Martin/Mingo, we sent clark and a 3rd to the chiefs for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

The 3rd round comp is likely the worst return we'd get in return.

You keep defending Schneider, I don't know why you don't think he will get a return for him.
We cannot afford to tag the guy. I don't what the Giants' cap space situation was or is but they would have kept him and tagged him if it made sense. We overpaid for the guy so of course they took our trade.

Carroll acted like we were a piece away. From like making the Superbowl or something. Unfortunately it was the stupid bowl.

bigcc

Reaction score
We cannot afford to tag the guy. I don't what the Giants' cap space situation was or is but they would have kept him and tagged him if it made sense. We overpaid for the guy so of course they took our trade.

Carroll acted like we were a piece away. From like making the Superbowl or something. Unfortunately it was the stupid bowl.
We can't afford to tag him this second... There are all kinds of moves to get there.

The giants traded him because they were 2-6 and by trading him, didn't have to pay his salary the rest of the season.

They still would have tagged him, they just saved 9 million or whatever instead of waiting.

Parallax

Reaction score
We can't afford to tag him this second... There are all kinds of moves to get there.

The giants traded him because they were 2-6 and by trading him, didn't have to pay his salary the rest of the season.

They still would have tagged him, they just saved 9 million or whatever instead of waiting.
Makes no sense. Like us, they too are not a piece away. They need to build the core of the team through the draft. They would have traded him while he still had value instead of just giving the guy another big contract, which is more the Seattle way.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Makes no sense. Like us, they too are not a piece away. They need to build the core of the team through the draft. They would have traded him while he still had value instead of just giving the guy another big contract, which is more the Seattle way.
I'm hopeful that it was more Pete's way and not the Seattle way.

12forlife

Reaction score
We gave up the 2nd & 5th because Williams is a talented BIG man. Did you consider there were other offers on the table for Williams? As long as they can get him resigned which I am hearing is one of the 5 top priorities. I believe Williams wants to play for MM. Also Williams brings Veteran leadership which this team needs with all the youngsters on the team.

bigcc

Reaction score
You misunderstood me, I was implying they'd tag and trade him.

Think of it this way.

Does it make more sense for the giants to trade him mid season when they're 2-6 and can roll over the cap they saved to this year, or to keep paying him and do the same after tagging him?

Likewise, does it make more sense for the seahawks to trade for leonard when they're 5-2, or trade for him after the season?

Let's assume that he still has a 2/5th round pick value (don't know why it would have dropped, he played great).

If we tag and trade him for only a 2nd (to illustrate a point) you'd tell me with a straight face that the 5th wasn't worth taking a shot at a position of need for the rest of the season at 5-2 and first in the division?

If you think there's no shot a team would give a 2nd for him if we tagged him that's one thing (keep in mind we did it with Clark, and traded FOR clowney in the same situation) but the way you talk we were 3-5, trying to rescue a burning ship, and will get nothing in return.

If Williams walks for nothing and the best we can hope for is a 3rd rdr comp, Schneider needed to go right with carroll. I don't think Macdonald is going to let him walk though, he fits in beautifully with what Macdonald does.

Last edited:

Parallax

Reaction score
We gave up the 2nd & 5th because Williams is a talented BIG man. Did you consider there were other offers on the table for Williams? As long as they can get him resigned which I am hearing is one of the 5 top priorities. I believe Williams wants to play for MM. Also Williams brings Veteran leadership which this team needs with all the youngsters on the team.
If we can get him signed without overpaying, fine. We'll see. That's the hometown discount. It posits that he likes it here and will sign without pushing for top dollar in the free agent market because he values quality of life. If it plays out that way, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I imagine the Seahawks want to sign him at a certain price but will back off if it becomes a bidding war. He's going to be worth more to other teams. Teams that are closer. Teams that really may be one or two key pieces away. If that's the case, we should go with young guys and coach them up.

As for other offers, obviously none as generous as ours or he would have been elsewhere. My best guess is Williams would have gone for less if the Hawks had held firm. Perhaps to another team, which would have suited me fine. If we could have gotten him straight up for a third, I'd say the value was reasonable but it would still be a bad move given where our team was at. When Diggs was good, we got him for a fifth if memory serves. That was a good trade. One of the few these last years.

We paid a lot for Duane Brown but one could argue we needed to. And he held up well so it turned out alright, though I was skeptical at first. When I think of great Seahawks trades, I think of Wilson (which Pete was forced into) and Lynch. I can think of more really bad trades. Harvin. Unger. Adams. Williams. The first three -- Harvin, Unger and Adams -- are far worse than Williams in the sense of paying way too much. But given the context, the sheer idiocy of the moment in time, the obviousness of the situation and the unwillingness to see reality as it was, Williams is right up there. In that sense, maybe the worst, because the others one could make a reasonable case for at the time. Not ones I would have made but reasonable just the same.

Parallax

Reaction score
You misunderstood me, I was implying they'd tag and trade him.

Think of it this way.

Does it make more sense for the giants to trade him mid season when they're 2-6 and can roll over the cap they saved to this year, or to keep paying him and do the same after tagging him?

Likewise, does it make more sense for the seahawks to trade for leonard when they're 5-2, or trade for him after the season?

Let's assume that he still has a 2/5th round pick value (don't know why it would have dropped, he played great).

If we tag and trade him for only a 2nd (to illustrate a point) you'd tell me with a straight face that the 5th wasn't worth taking a shot at a position of need for the rest of the season at 5-2 and first in the division?

If you think there's no shot a team would give a 2nd for him if we tagged him that's one thing (keep in mind we did it with Clark, and traded FOR clowney in the same situation) but the way you talk we were 3-5, trying to rescue a burning ship, and will get nothing in return.

If Williams walks for nothing and the best we can hope for is a 3rd rdr comp, Schneider needed to go right with carroll. I don't think Macdonald is going to let him walk though, he fits in beautifully with what Macdonald does.
How can we afford to tag him? Not seeing it. I'll get to that in a second. The entire cap hit would come this year when we have no cap space. I think we're either finding a way to make enough cap space to get him signed or we're letting him go and hoping to get a compensatory pick at the end of the third round.

If Williams is a DE, it would cost $23.3M. If he's a DT, it would be $19.7M. Except that Williams has been tagged twice in his career so those numbers, which we can't afford anyway, would go up by something like 20%. No way we can afford $25M or more for one year of Williams. Especially not this year, when we have so many guys we'll have to cut just to get to a place where we can sign the guys we need to sign. We can maybe do a multi-year deal with Williams if he's willing to sign at a reasonable number but we'd spread out the cap hit.

I don't think we could tag and trade Williams because the numbers are too high for them to make sense for any team. It's a situation where we either negotiate a contract or let him go.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
i voted "fair value", but I think it is a lot more important than that. In fact, I think he should be considered an "essential core player", that the D-line can be built around.

He was drafted in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft by the New York Jets, with the sixth overall pick! Some people are unhappy that we did not draft Jalen Carter. But this trade for Leonard Williams should be considered to be our "2024 second round draft choice".

He has proven himself and is a real professional... He is an asset to the team on the field and as a veteran in the locker room.

Our "home grown" defensive line draft choices mostly haven't really worked out as we had hoped. Malik...LJ...(sorry to compare the two).

I hope we sign him soon!!!

Parallax

Reaction score
i voted "fair value", but I think it is a lot more important than that. In fact, I think he should be considered an "essential core player", that the D-line can be built around.

He was drafted in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft by the New York Jets, with the sixth overall pick! Some people are unhappy that we did not draft Jalen Carter. But this trade for Leonard Williams should be considered to be our "2024 second round draft choice".

He has proven himself and is a real professional... He is an asset to the team on the field and as a veteran in the locker room.

Our "home grown" defensive line draft choices mostly haven't really worked out as we had hoped. Malik...LJ...(sorry to compare the two).

I hope we sign him soon!!!
First of all, he's not that good. 5.5 sacks does not a Lawrence Taylor make. He's one of our best players on defense, but what does that really say? He's decent. I'm not saying he's bad. But Nick Bosa or Aaron Donald he isn't.

We need good (even if not game changing) players on the D line. But he's older and he's expensive. Not some kid playing on a 2nd round rookie contract. This is not, in my view, the way you successfully build a team. It's not enough to say "he's good". You have to ask yourself "Is he good value?" Williams is definitely not. A second, a fifth and gone; or a second, a fifth and whatever we have to pay him to keep him around a while. Either way, NOT worth it in my view.

Let's contrast that with Boye Mafe. Second round pick. Number 40 if memory serves. So about a bit higher than where the Giants will pick with our second this year but not much. Not enough to make very much difference. Another Boye Mafe on a rookie contract for four years would be immeasurably better for the team than this trade. This "Pete Carroll special". "Eat your seed corn now for tomorrow we retire!"

bigcc

Reaction score
If we can get him signed without overpaying, fine. We'll see. That's the hometown discount. It posits that he likes it here and will sign without pushing for top dollar in the free agent market because he values quality of life. If it plays out that way, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I imagine the Seahawks want to sign him at a certain price but will back off if it becomes a bidding war. He's going to be worth more to other teams. Teams that are closer. Teams that really may be one or two key pieces away. If that's the case, we should go with young guys and coach them up.

As for other offers, obviously none as generous as ours or he would have been elsewhere. My best guess is Williams would have gone for less if the Hawks had held firm. Perhaps to another team, which would have suited me fine. If we could have gotten him straight up for a third, I'd say the value was reasonable but it would still be a bad move given where our team was at. When Diggs was good, we got him for a fifth if memory serves. That was a good trade. One of the few these last years.

We paid a lot for Duane Brown but one could argue we needed to. And he held up well so it turned out alright, though I was skeptical at first. When I think of great Seahawks trades, I think of Wilson (which Pete was forced into) and Lynch. I can think of more really bad trades. Harvin. Unger. Adams. Williams. The first three -- Harvin, Unger and Adams -- are far worse than Williams in the sense of paying way too much. But given the context, the sheer idiocy of the moment in time, the obviousness of the situation and the unwillingness to see reality as it was, Williams is right up there. In that sense, maybe the worst, because the others one could make a reasonable case for at the time. Not ones I would have made but reasonable just the same.
If he's worth more to other teams, it sounds like there's a market to trade him if/when we tag him.

That being said I thought about the trades and a few thoughts came to mind.

We got a 7th along with diggs for that 5th as if it wasn't good enough already.

A 2nd/3rd for Duane brown and a 5th was a steal, he made a pro bowl or all pro 3/5 years here at one of the most important positions, I'd make that trade again in a heartbeat at any point in seahawks history. He could have played RT across from Walt if needed 😂

Kearse a 2nd and 7th for Sheldon Richardson and a 7th - - - I'm surprised you didn't mention this one, because this is literally what you're afraid of with leonard. One year of play, signed elsewhere, and we signed too many fa's to even get a comp. Literally a SIGNIFICANTLY worse trade (Leonard actually played well here) with dudes at similar positions for similar prices for one year from a new york team, and it still wasn't bad enough for you to remember. Food for thought, especially since leonard is even remotely worth discussing tagging and trading. However much you hate the leonard trade, you can't tell me he isn't better than the 1 year 8 million stud Richardson got in free agency.

Darryl tapp for Chris Clemons and a 4th. Fun fact, in his 4 years here Clemons had 9 more sacks than tapp had in his 12 year career (38-29). Clemons was the og bad ass in a carroll defense, I'm glad he got the ring before leaving.

A 5th for Leon Washington and a 7th.... Unlike Clemons, left right before the superbowl, but I'd kill for a returner like that again.

Jacob Martin, markevious Bingo, and a 3rd for clowney. Funny you didn't mention this either, because like Richardson, 1 year, similar compensation, d-line again, no comp pick. Once again, makes you wonder why leonard was such an atrocious trade, when you didn't even mention clowney or Richardson. Leonard still has a chance to be re-signed, tag+trade, or comp pick. Any of which make the two I've mentioned objectively worse.

Frank clark and a 3rd for chiefs 1,2,3- was a good trade in return value, WORST trade in seahawks history in terms of results.... The picks resulted in collier, Barton(🤮), and Lewis(meh). We traded for clowney and jamal in prayer for a pass rush. The next 4 years clark made 3 pro bowls, made 3 superbowls and a conference championship, and won 2 of the bowls. He's also now 3rd all time in playoff sacks.

You sold them short on a couple, but to be fair at the verrrry beginning. More interesting though, you forgot to mention two of them VERY similar to Leonard in circumstance, despite howling about he was one of the most egregious of Pete's errors. And this is without even remotely knowing how Leonard's trade turns out. Also I gotta say, I don't know how anyone could try to tell me with a straight face that these were all Pete's fault and Schneider, unburdened from Carroll's dead weight will suddenly start drafting like the early days.

Anyways If leonard walks like the other two with nothing to show I'll be the first to tell you that I was a buffoon and simply wrong. But even if he gets like a 4th round comp, he'd probably only be the third worst trade for a defensive Lineman with 1 year left on his contract in the last 6 years..... God I hope third times the charm, what a ridiculous sentence to type out.

bigcc

Reaction score
How can we afford to tag him? Not seeing it. I'll get to that in a second. The entire cap hit would come this year when we have no cap space. I think we're either finding a way to make enough cap space to get him signed or we're letting him go and hoping to get a compensatory pick at the end of the third round.

If Williams is a DE, it would cost $23.3M. If he's a DT, it would be $19.7M. Except that Williams has been tagged twice in his career so those numbers, which we can't afford anyway, would go up by something like 20%. No way we can afford $25M or more for one year of Williams. Especially not this year, when we have so many guys we'll have to cut just to get to a place where we can sign the guys we need to sign. We can maybe do a multi-year deal with Williams if he's willing to sign at a reasonable number but we'd spread out the cap hit.

I don't think we could tag and trade Williams because the numbers are too high for them to make sense for any team. It's a situation where we either negotiate a contract or let him go.
The percentage bonuses are for consecutive years. So not relevant. What matters is the 120 percent actually. Info below

The numbers at each position are included in there per position (estimates), but his 120 percent would be higher at 21.6 (not an estimate). So 21.6 is likely the number.

There's a number of ways they can get there, but may not need to be that high.

From espn 3 days ago:

According to Jeff Howe of the Athletic, the Seahawks felt Williams played well after coming over from the Giants to warrant a contract extension and the two sides are expected to work towards a new deal to keep him in the Pacific Northwest.