Poll: If Russ retired today does he make the HOF?

seabowl

Reaction score
If this were two years ago, I’d say yes. Now with his reputation being knocked down, not so sure.

sdog1981

Reaction score
This season was devastating for his HoF chances. He will have to get Denver to an AFC title game at a minimum to get back into the discussion.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Yes and he's going to bounce back and be fine. He probably won't be in the conversation for best QB in the league like he was in Seattle at times but he will be very good again.

BASF

Reaction score
No. I find it very interesting that so many of his supporters that believe he will be, were the ones that were telling all of us that Carroll was holding him back from getting the numbers he needed. Yet, they feel that with the numbers he has, he will go into the hall of fame. As much as they want to pigeon hole Wilson into the conversation of best QB's of his time, he was never as good as Brady or Rodgers. He is not as good as Mahomes, Allen or Burrows now that the old timers are starting to fall off. Why would the third or fourth best QB in almost all of his seasons be a hall of famer?

Seahawker

Reaction score
That's cruel. I still have PTSD from that moment.
Yes, point taken seatownlowdown, I would ask a courtesy in this poll, I cast another vote that THE video be taken down.
No, no this is not HOF QB play, Like NoGain said the PTSD factor is just too much. We are all Hawk fan's here, that video does not need to perpetually play in this forum...😵‍💫.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
No. I find it very interesting that so many of his supporters that believe he will be, were the ones that were telling all of us that Carroll was holding him back from getting the numbers he needed. Yet, they feel that with the numbers he has, he will go into the hall of fame. As much as they want to pigeon hole Wilson into the conversation of best QB's of his time, he was never as good as Brady or Rodgers. He is not as good as Mahomes, Allen or Burrows now that the old timers are starting to fall off. Why would the third or fourth best QB in almost all of his seasons be a hall of famer?

He wasn't among the top five QBs in the league for most seasons of his career. He was top-ten most of the time, top-five maybe twice. And as @BASF points out, Wilson wasn't one of the top two QBs in the league in any full season.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
does this answer your question?

That always has bothered me..I keep wanting him to either throw it 1 second sooner
or roll out left,throw it to Beast or run it in.
Had he done that it's hard to deny back to back rings.

BASF

Reaction score
He wasn't among the top five QBs in the league for most seasons of his career. He was top-ten most of the time, top-five maybe twice. And as @BASF points out, Wilson wasn't one of the top two QBs in the league in any full season.
Only because Pete Carroll (the monster in his nightmares) held him back for all those years! Just ask the marks.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Depending on what happens with this next draft and if there are any Super Bowl wins in the next few years based on the haul from his trade, he might be the most valuable Seahawk ever. I could easily see them parlaying one of the two remaining picks into additional draft capital. It would be the trade that keeps on giving.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
He would not have made the HOF had he retired last year, rather than going to Denver. There is no question that he was on a HOF trajectory, but he wasn't there yet. Why would the travesty of a season he had in Denver change that?

For Induction - 9 Pro Bowls, 2 Super Bowls, 1 Lombardi, Fourth best passer rating of all time (so far), and 7/10 winning seasons look good in retrospect (compared to previous inductees), but he would be compared to his contemporaries, which causes some of the luster to fade.

Against Induction - No MVP votes. Never been 1st team all pro. Never been offensive player of the year. Much of his success is due to one of the best defenses of all times, keeping the scores low and close. Played for a small-market team (Not Steelers, Cowboys, Giants)

The two closest HOF comps, in terms of accomplishments, would be Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger. Both have 2 rings, though. Aikman had similar lack of all pro, OPY, and MVP, but he had 3 rings. All three have the unfair advantage of playing for legacy teams.

Once he is eligible, he will be competing against the stats of his contemporaries, and I don't see how his numbers will stack up to an induction. If he turns things around, becomes a top ten QB, earns another ring, and pads the stats, then he probably gets in, but not on the first ballot. This past season is completely forgivable, and won't count against him, if he returns to top ten form.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
He’s going to need a few more years of high end stats on a winning team or another SB ring.

As offensive numbers continue to climb the bar for HoF will just get higher.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
russ could have made the HOF, but... he was too short
russ could have made the HOF, but... he tossed out the playbook altogether
russ could have made the HOF, but... he advocated for the jimmy graham and jamal adams trades
russ could have made the HOF, but... his truck just wasn't big enough
russ could have made the HOF, but... pete carroll held him back ...
russ could have made the HOF, but... for some reason he started calling himself "mr. unlimited"
russ could have made the HOF, but... he killed my vibe ...
russ could have made the HOF, but... me3
russ could have made the HOF, but... wearing a playbook wristband didn't look cool
russ could have made the HOF, but... he walked into yet another sack
russ could have made the HOF, but... subway didn't give the 'dangerwich' a fair shot
russ could have made the HOF, but... he forced his way to a nathaniel hackett coached broncos team lmao
russ could have made the HOF, but... he married ciara
russ could have made the HOF, but... he done pissed of beastmode
russ could have made the HOF, but... he got fat and wasn't young, motivated russell wilson anymore
russ could have made the HOF, but... he couldn't remember that he wasn't in seattle anymore
russ could have made the HOF, but... the world just doesn't appreciate sir russell carrington wilson
russ could have made the HOF, but... ... i digress, and defer to keasley45 for further analysis