Poll: If Russ retired today does he make the HOF?

zelter

Reaction score
Wow did you see the article about his foundation? Only 24 cents actually goes to charity. 3 individuals make more than a million a year.
Even though HOF is only supposed to be his work on the field that sure won't help his case!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Wow did you see the article about his foundation? Only 24 cents actually goes to charity. 3 individuals make more than a million a year.
Even though HOF is only supposed to be his work on the field that sure won't help his case!
OJ Simpson is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I think Russell's character is not an issue here.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Bevell called a play that we run only one pattern out of that formation and one that Brandon Browner practiced against while on our team dozens of times. Do you think it might have been prudent to run a different pattern out of that formation thus crossing up what they knew was coming as soon as we lined up in that formation?

The lion's share of the blame lies directly on Bevell for that play call. I am no Me3 apologist. I have been one of the longest and loudest detractors of Me3 on this site. He made a bad throw. However, his hesitation that forced the bad throw was due to JR Sweezy getting blown into the passing lane (they knew the pattern that was coming and knew if they blow up the RG, the pass lane wouldn't be there). Wilson then had to throw the ball over the line instead of through it and of course the interception happened.

Despite what one member on this board continues to say, Bill Belichick is the best defensive mind of that era. And against the best defensive mind of that era we ran a play that literally gives the defense the advantage because they knew it was coming and had practiced against.
Once Sweezy got blown into the passing lane that is where Me3 needed to sandlot out of
there,you had Beast wide open to the left and a great chance to run it in over there as well.
At least just throw it away but he made his choice and I started really second guessing him
since.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Bevell called a play that we run only one pattern out of that formation and one that Brandon Browner practiced against while on our team dozens of times. Do you think it might have been prudent to run a different pattern out of that formation thus crossing up what they knew was coming as soon as we lined up in that formation?

The lion's share of the blame lies directly on Bevell for that play call. I am no Me3 apologist. I have been one of the longest and loudest detractors of Me3 on this site. He made a bad throw. However, his hesitation that forced the bad throw was due to JR Sweezy getting blown into the passing lane (they knew the pattern that was coming and knew if they blow up the RG, the pass lane wouldn't be there). Wilson then had to throw the ball over the line instead of through it and of course the interception happened.

Despite what one member on this board continues to say, Bill Belichick is the best defensive mind of that era. And against the best defensive mind of that era we ran a play that literally gives the defense the advantage because they knew it was coming and had practiced against.
Execution, execution, execution.
Even if they KNEW and practiced against a play, it does not guarantee success, ESPECIALLY if it's "Executed" correctly.
I attribute the failure to Wilson's inability to RECOGNIZE Defensive patterns, it's one of many patterns that has been repeating over and over again through SEVERAL years, patterns that a veteran Quarterback should be able to RECOGNIZE in his sleep.
Wilson has pulled the ball down PLENTY of times and took off running, and as has already been pointed out, AT THAT TIME Wilson was at his quickest...I mean....TWO YARDS???
And too, Brady made a 10 point come-back, where was Wilson's answers??
Belichick's Defense held Wilson's scrambling in check.
ANYBODY but Wilson was responsible for that errant pass? LOLOL Yeah, I don't think so either, and one more thing, it wasn't "Browner" who intercepted that ball.

BASF

Reaction score
Even if they KNEW and practiced against a play, it does not guarantee success, ESPECIALLY if it's "Executed" correctly.
I attribute the failure to Wilson's inability to RECOGNIZE Defensive patterns, it's one of many patterns that has been repeating over and over again through SEVERAL years, patterns that a veteran Quarterback should be able to RECOGNIZE in his sleep.
Wilson has pulled the ball down PLENTY of times and took off running, and as has already been pointed out, AT THAT TIME Wilson was at his quickest...I mean....TWO YARDS???
ANYBODY but Wilson was responsible for that errant pass? LOLOL Yeah, I don't think so either, and one more thing, it wasn't "Browner" who intercepted that ball.
Where did I say that Browner intercepted the ball?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This is an awful lot of gibberish. All you had to say is Russell Wilson dumped me and I'm butthurt.

olyfan63

Reaction score
OJ Simpson is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I think Russell's character is not an issue here.
OJ was inducted in 1985, roughly 10 years before the murders and the trial. The NFL does not seem to have a policy for removing members from the HOF, so blame the NFL.
By rule, the Pro Football Hall of Fame does not remove enshrinees after election. That extends to those who have served prison time, those with controversial backgrounds, and anything in between.
“Once elected, nothing in the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s bylaws allows for the removal of a Hall member,” the Hall of Fame told ProFootballTalk in 2020.

Recall that OJ was found Not Guilty in his Criminal Trial. The civil trial? Different animal. However, OJ was convicted of other criminal charges in 2008 and served prison time. For his on-the-field exploits, OJ absolutely belongs in the HOF. He was amazing to watch in his prime. I recall watching the snowy day in Buffalo where he hit 2003 yards.

In any case, I agree that any "character" concerns about Russell are unlikely to impact his HOF bid, absent some sort of criminal conviction, which would seem very unlikely. Given that, Russell will be enshrined, or not, based on his on-field accomplishments.

The Seahawks never made it past the Divisional Round of the playoffs after that SB49 season, despite the Hawks D again being #1 in scoring defense in 2015. In the 2015 postseason, Divisional playoffs, 10-6 Hawks vs 15-1 Panthers, Wilson threw the pick-6 to Luke Kuechly, plus another pick, and the Panthers led 31-0 at halftime, pretty much game over though garbage-time points made the final 31-24. Russell never did elevate the Seahawks in the playoffs after the 2014 season.

I've given up on caring whether or not Russell gets enshrined into the HOF; there are valid arguments FOR and AGAINST. Had Russell converted on the last SB49 drive, whether by handing to Lynch, or keeping on a Read Option run, QB sneak, or a pass, and the Hawks won the game, I would be on the First-Ballot HOF bandwagon. Against Belichick's defense, in those circumstances, that would have indeed been a huge accomplishment. It's fair to say that Bevell's crap goal line play-call royally screwed Russell over, but also fair to say Russell didn't elevate his game in that moment to overcome the crap play-call.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
OJ was inducted in 1985, roughly 10 years before the murders and the trial. The NFL does not seem to have a policy for removing members from the HOF, so blame the NFL.
By rule, the Pro Football Hall of Fame does not remove enshrinees after election. That extends to those who have served prison time, those with controversial backgrounds, and anything in between.
“Once elected, nothing in the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s bylaws allows for the removal of a Hall member,” the Hall of Fame told ProFootballTalk in 2020.

Recall that OJ was found Not Guilty in his Criminal Trial. The civil trial? Different animal. However, OJ was convicted of other criminal charges in 2008 and served prison time. For his on-the-field exploits, OJ absolutely belongs in the HOF. He was amazing to watch in his prime. I recall watching the snowy day in Buffalo where he hit 2003 yards.

In any case, I agree that any "character" concerns about Russell are unlikely to impact his HOF bid, absent some sort of criminal conviction, which would seem very unlikely. Given that, Russell will be enshrined, or not, based on his on-field accomplishments.

The Seahawks never made it past the Divisional Round of the playoffs after that SB49 season, despite the Hawks D again being #1 in scoring defense in 2015. In the 2015 postseason, Divisional playoffs, 10-6 Hawks vs 15-1 Panthers, Wilson threw the pick-6 to Luke Kuechly, plus another pick, and the Panthers led 31-0 at halftime, pretty much game over though garbage-time points made the final 31-24. Russell never did elevate the Seahawks in the playoffs after the 2014 season.

I've given up on caring whether or not Russell gets enshrined into the HOF; there are valid arguments FOR and AGAINST. Had Russell converted on the last SB49 drive, whether by handing to Lynch, or keeping on a Read Option run, QB sneak, or a pass, and the Hawks won the game, I would be on the First-Ballot HOF bandwagon. Against Belichick's defense, in those circumstances, that would have indeed been a huge accomplishment. It's fair to say that Bevell's crap goal line play-call royally screwed Russell over, but also fair to say Russell didn't elevate his game in that moment to overcome the crap play-call.
Russell's play didn't help matters but was Russell Wilson playing on defense that day? Cause they couldn't stop the Panthers run game. They gave up 144 yards. So Russell wasn't the only factor in why they lost.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
This is an awful lot of gibberish. All you had to say is Russell Wilson dumped me and I'm butthurt.
Nope, PAY ATTENTION HF-68 I've already commented >TIME AND AGAIN<to the fact that I hold no animosities towards Wilson, have STATED that I'm "GRATEFUL" for what he's done here in Seattle, H-O-W-E-V-E-R, EVERYBODY >>BUT Wilson being to blame for his F&^#ups?, yeah, that sh*t don't fly either, OKAY?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
He’s got one ring, no MVP votes, no All Pro selections, no career passing records. It’s a hard sell right now, especially since he looked terrible playing for Denver and Geno looked great replacing him in Seattle. There is a legitimate argument that Wilson benefitted from Pete Carroll’s system.

It’s like Alexander who for 3 years was one of the top backs in the league. The criticism will always be: career too short and he benefitted from the best OL in the league.

It’s tough to make the HOF with legitimate arguments against you.

Mad Dog

Reaction score

Most player foundations are simply tax dodges to spread their wealth to friends and family. The charity thing is just a secondary aspect. To be honest I’m glad that 24 cents goes to something more worthwhile than the government.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
Deon Sanders has said too many guys are making the HOF anymore who aren't really HOF-worthy. They were good, not great.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
My bad, I thought it'd be a feather in our Hawk cap for more Hawk players to get into the Hall of Fame.

I guess our emotional spite and resentment carries more weight.
What exactly would you do with that feather?

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
My bad, I thought it'd be a feather in our Hawk cap for more Hawk players to get into the Hall of Fame.

I guess our emotional spite and resentment carries more weight.
For me I only care about True Blue Seahawks making the Hall Of Fame. Largent, Easley, Jones, Kennedy. They were Seahawks their entire careers. That's perfect. Wilson abandoned us, stuck up his middle finger at all of us and said "see ya later suckas!" Then he laughed at all of us right in our faces and rode off to Denver.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
For me I only care about True Blue Seahawks making the Hall Of Fame. Largent, Easley, Jones, Kennedy. They were Seahawks their entire careers. That's perfect. Wilson abandoned us, stuck up his middle finger at all of us and said "see ya later suckas!" Then he laughed at all of us right in our faces and rode off to Denver.

Kenny Easley wouldn't set foot inside the VMAC, or attend any Seahawk games or events for almost two decades because of how much bitterness he still harbored towards the organization for pumping him full of painkillers shortening his career.

Sherman, Kam, Earl, Bobby......you name the possible HOF Hawk player in that era of Seahawk football, and all of them left on not the best terms talking crap on the way out.

It RARELY ends well, so there's no reason we need to hold Russell to some higher standard of offering him an olive branch after he retires and inviting him back into the team's good graces as the best QB in franchise history who was a major part of our 1st Lombardi trophy.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
Russell's play didn't help matters but was Russell Wilson playing on defense that day? Cause they couldn't stop the Panthers run game. They gave up 144 yards. So Russell wasn't the only factor in why they lost.
Teams run more when they’re ahead. It was on 41 carries (Newton had 3 yards on 11 carries, but you included those yards). So they did just fine against the run. 3.5ypc.