Pete, culture, and quarterbacks

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Lol. Even Geno was sacked 13 times in his limited time. Its a Pete Carroll thing. He just didnt care enough about the Oline. Its a big reason why Wilson left.
No it isn’t a Pete Carroll thing it’s a Russell Wilson holding onto the ball to long guy

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
No it isn’t a Pete Carroll thing it’s a Russell Wilson holding onto the ball to long guy
I think that depends. If RW was holding on to the ball too long because slow developing plays were being called that is somewhat on PC or the OC right? We all saw RW get happy feet after years of getting pummeled. That learned behavior was the result of years of bad O lines. Even if the line improved some, that reaction doesn’t simply go away.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I think that depends. If RW was holding on to the ball too long because slow developing plays were being called that is somewhat on PC or the OC right? We all saw RW get happy feet after years of getting pummeled. That learned behavior was the result of years of bad O lines. Even if the line improved some, that reaction doesn’t simply go away.
I’ll bet anyone in here a million bucks that sacks are down this year. I want an apology at the end of the season from you

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Maybe all those open layups werent so open after all.
Or, maybe Geno was a quarterback seeing his first real action in like 7 years, and he's a slow processor to begin with - which is true, even if I like the guy.

If Geno wins the job, he's probably gonna get teed off on a good bit unless he continues to improve how he processes the field. With an offseason of reps as the number 1 and another year under Waldron, maybe he can if he ends up winning the job.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Or, maybe Geno was a quarterback seeing his first real action in like 7 years, and he's a slow processor to begin with - which is true, even if I like the guy.

If Geno wins the job, he's probably gonna get teed off on a good bit unless he continues to improve how he processes the field. With an offseason of reps as the number 1 and another year under Waldron, maybe he can if he ends up winning the job.

All I ever hear is how great he did. Hey he did beat the Jaguars.

hawkfan68

Reaction score

He's been in the league for 10 years...if he can't process the field quick enough by now, he's most likely never going to.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He's been in the league for 10 years...if he can't process the field quick enough by now, he's most likely never going to.
Sure, but marginal improvement is possible, especially if he's kicking off the rust after 7 years of backup duty.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The same team that has failed in the post season the last 7 years with RW as QB has also failed with PC as the head coach. Now you may ascertain responsibility for those failure different than me but I go with 80/20 ish PC/RW. I am sure everybody has their own different numbers.

I am not sad to see RW go with his limitations and salary cap hit but I think a different coach/RW this year would do far better than PC/HIS choice of QBs. IF PC wanted a better QB he had plenty of opportunities and did not take any of them so the QB SUCCESS or FAILURE this year is on squarely on PC.
What QB?Baker?The draft where all were ass?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Geno preformed above average given the untimely situation he was thrown into. His arm talent has never been the issue and going through the progressions of a set play weren’t the issue either. This offense is designed for efficiency. Seems like penalties killed us last year and if the running game is stagnant you can stick a fork in us.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
He did show improvement in that game. He was getting more decisive as time rolled on.

I think you generally mistake mild defense of Geno's play for rabid fanaticism. They're not the same.

Mild defense? Lol. This board was all about his numbers and the Russell Wilson hate train. People were making Geno sound like the next Johnny Unitas because he was taking the short, open stuff that Wilson supposedly wasnt taking. Only problem was, it wasnt winning games. It wont this year either.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I’m speaking more to those who claim Pete is just a motivator and doesn’t know his Xs and Os. I find that laughable. And while he’s definitely not Kyle Shanahan, much of what he’s doing offensively is based on both the Shanahans (especially run game from Mike), Gruden, and now adding in the Rams stuff via Waldron. He also was the one who saw what they were doing with RG3 and had Bevell add read-option in for Russ. So no, he’s n’t an innovator on O, but he watches and adjusts as needed.
Not always, Pete Carroll isn't a great offensive mind. Just look who he has surrounded himself with during his tenure here. Bates, Bevell, Schottenheimer??? Come on. Carroll's offenses have cost us many postseason games. It's not his forte and he tends to meddle here.

Even with an old Matt Hasselbeck we kept trying to throw those same deep passes. That right there is the definition of a square peg into a round hole. We were scheming and offense like Russell Wilson was playing. His offenses were far more rudimentary than most anything in the NFL and we telegraphed everything we were going to do. Carroll has the same philosophy of "keep it simple" on offense which isn't necessarily a good thing.

Every coordinator/HC has to understand X's and O's to some degree. Carroll made his name in the NFL as a defensive coach. He understands offenses to some degree but that doesn't mean you can operate an offense at a high level. Our offenses on the Seahawks have been problematic for a while in big games and i lay that squarely at the feet of Pete Carroll and his coordinators that he's hired.

A good example of what I'm talking about is in 2015. Wilson was finding rhythm in the short passing game. He looked better than he ever has in that area of his game. Then towards the end of the season we started the long developing plays and deep bombs with a run heavy attack. This stymied our offense production, especially in the playoffs.

Or how about when we kept using Jimmy Graham as an inline blocker? Carroll is NOT a great offensive mind and at times has hindered his offense from doing its job.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
A good example of what I'm talking about is in 2015. Wilson was finding rhythm in the short passing game. He looked better than he ever has in that area of his game. Then towards the end of the season we started the long developing plays and deep bombs with a run heavy attack. This stymied our offense production, especially in the playoffs.
And you think that is all on the Pete and the OCs?

Interesting.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
And you think that is all on the Pete and the OCs?

Interesting.
Blame lies on both parties, Pete isn't innocent here -- especially with the way he managed Wilson the player. Bevell, Schottenheimer, and Bates were all below average coordinators. Our conservative strategies in the playoffs also fall on Pete to some degree.

Offense is not Pete Carroll's forte.