Is PC a QB coach?

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
Pete Carroll has been known as a great DB coach and primarily a defensive coach. But, can you say he's a great QB coach as well? Does his offense of run first and ball control set up his QB's for success? I choose to look on the bright side because of Pete Carroll’s history with quarterbacks. Simply put, it is unparalleled excellence when he is the head coach. Here is a list of QB's PC has been involved with.

1. Drew Bledsoe
2. Carson Palmer
3. Matt Leinart
4. Mark Sanchez
5. Matt Cassell
6. RW 3
7. Geno Smith
8. Drew Lock

That list is pretty impressive with not a lot of failures there.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
No.

Bledsoe came from the Parcell regime

Leinart, Sanchez, and Cassel were all failures or below average in the NFL

Smith had half a good season last year and has been uninspiring this year.

Lock is a career back up

RW3 and Palmer are the outliers, but even then those two were just naturally talented.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'd say Pete is a great developer of the emotional/mental side of of players, including his QB's. He knows how to fill them up with confidence, and that translates on the field.

But he's deficient in developing the skillset of QB's. Wilson for example was not leaps and bounds better at the X's and O's part of the game between the time he got here, and the time he left.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think Pete masters the mental side of things which for young QB's or guys under pressure its a great environment for them. I don't think he develops guys at all though like Largent said. Palmer and Wilson were just freaky talents and probably are elite regardless of who's coaching.. I really just copied Largent and probably should've hit the like button instead but I can't stop typing....

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, a borderline HOF is "middling"
He saved Pete's a** for years. Pete is a hell of a coach, but to STILL act like Russ had nothing to do with it is hilarious. In Dec. of 2023....still going on and on.
Clearly it was PETE who had all those game winning drives.
Dude is long gone, time to let it go kid.
Hilarious.

Last edited:

Welshers2

Reaction score
He saved Pete's a** for years. Pete is a hell of a coach, but to STILL act like Russ had nothing to do with it is hilarious. In Dec. of 2023....still going on and on.

Hilarious.
Why is it that when Russ leaves Russ loses while Pete wins with Geno Smith? And geno ties the record for most game winning drives in a season? There's a common denominator of winning. Pete orchestrates it. Russ has been proven to be nothing without Pete!

Actually I'll give Me3 some credit. I think he has the ability to be between the 25th and 20th best starter in the league without Pete Carroll. Not even rock bottom. But in terms of value for contract he is dead last. Probably the worst quality of play for pay ratio in NFL history. They are paying this guy 150 million dollars to leave the team and not play a second of his extension. Think about that. Payton saw what Russ was and said goodbye

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Meh, we got his best years. Glad he's gone. I just enjoy laughing at the 974 threads these days.
We fleeced them, good enough.
What has Pete won without Russ? A bunch of regular season games.....might be good enough for you, it isn't for me.
Let's see him actually WIN some playoff games with Geno. Hopefully he does. Geno is an above average QB that can win some games from time to time. Not sure where he all sudden is now some top tier QB (not saying that you said that, but that's the vibe I get) Let's see what he does in the PLAYOFFS.
And I'm glad Geno is the QB right now.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
What’s impressive to me is that some fans here in these forums, saw the writing on the wall as early as 2018.

Think about that…a professional organization scooped him up for hundreds of millions of dollars…talking a SB win (like….a sure shot)…while a good handful of folks here were ready to offload him.

At first I thought, damn .net has a lot of haters. I worshipped Russ. Good, god loving guy…charity…wife that’s hotter than fish grease. Haters.

Then…the lights turned on. I realized I was fooled and ultimately, should’ve never ate that gotdamn Dangerwich.

*Edit* - total thread derailment. As to the original question, it would be hard to argue against that at least, at a minimum, PCs style benefits quarterbacks greatly.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Meh, it's December 2023. He's long gone and isn't coming back. He's not our problem these days.
On to Sunday. I was a huge Russ fan too, now I'm just glad he's out of the picture.

In case people have forgotten, there are much more important things right now: Like winning these next 2 games.

RiverDog

Reaction score
What’s impressive to me is that some fans here in these forums, saw the writing on the wall as early as 2018.

Think about that…a professional organization scooped him up for hundreds of millions of dollars…talking a SB win (like….a sure shot)…while a good handful of folks here were ready to offload him.

At first I thought, damn .net has a lot of haters. I worshipped Russ. Good, god loving guy…charity…wife that’s hotter than fish grease. Haters.

Then…the lights turned on. I realized I was fooled and ultimately, should’ve never ate that gotdamn Dangerwich.

*Edit* - total thread derailment. As to the original question, it would be hard to argue against that at least, at a minimum, PCs style benefits quarterbacks greatly.
For my part, I, too, noticed the decline in Russell's skill set, although I don't think I started catching on as early as 2018. However, I thought that he could and would, make an adjustment to his style and be successful in the back 9 of his career. Even today, his time to throw number is the third slowest in the league:

His personality change was a lot more obvious, the "Let Russ Cook" crap, the "I'm getting hit too much" interview, and so on. He really got spoiled during his time here, got a little too big for his britches.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Dude is long gone, time to let it go kid.
Hilarious.
100%

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

IMO even on here many fans thought this was a bad move, and would lead to the Hawks losing double digit games per year for a very long time.

So let's give John and Pete credit, they knew Russ's game was on the decline and found a gullible suitor to give up a king's ransom for him.

Russ could still be a decent QB, but since the Ciara years began he's delusionally never been able to have the self awareness to listen about, or admit to his limitations.................and really THAT'S what led to his departure in Seattle.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Meh, we got his best years. Glad he's gone. I just enjoy laughing at the 974 threads these days.
We fleeced them, good enough.
What has Pete won without Russ? A bunch of regular season games.....might be good enough for you, it isn't for me.
Let's see him actually WIN some playoff games with Geno. Hopefully he does. Geno is an above average QB that can win some games from time to time. Not sure where he all sudden is now some top tier QB (not saying that you said that, but that's the vibe I get) Let's see what he does in the PLAYOFFS.
And I'm glad Geno is the QB right now.

As you told someone else, You don’t have to open the threads….

lol

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
True. But I'm not going to stop finding it hilarious. To each his/her own. I think it's hilarious and childish.
Then again, I enjoy how obsessed people are over a former player. To the point that they just make things up. So, kind of childish on my part too. I'll own it. It's entertaining.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Look what he got out of a 3rd rd pick with a huge ego issue and obvious shortfalls..I'd day absolutely!

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Look how many times that 3rd round pick saved Pete's a**

It goes both ways. They were good together. They needed each other for true success. Both can exist at the same time.

Welshers2

Reaction score
Not sure where he all sudden is now some top tier QB
I'm so tired of people insinuating and saying this. I have over and over and over said that Geno is a very average quarterback but because I don't blast him you say "that's the vibe I get".

In fact I very specifically called him average in one of the posts you responded to, but of course you have a long track record of not reading posts you respond to, like the time I made a Mariners thread that you didn't read and blasted me for talking shit about the Hawks when you didn't read the thread.

Here's my exact quote:

Then he turned Geno freaking Smith into a serviceable starter
Does that sound like I'm calling him elite?

So many people on this board do this and I'm really sick of it. Multiple posters keeo insinuating people are calling Geno top 10 and elite. Everyone responds and says that's simply not true but you guys continue to post that narrative. As I've told PNW several times and something he agreed with is that Geno is an average qb in the league.

But continue to spread your false narrative. I haven't seen anyone call Geno elite a single time on this board. I've specifically said to haters 100 times that I don't think he's elite and consider him average and yet over and over you guys dishonestly misrepresent our arguments.

You probably aren't even being dishonest I just don't think you read people's posts before responding

knownone

Reaction score
Pete has always been the scapegoat for disgruntled RW3 fans. Instead of acknowledging Russell's limitations, they've blamed Pete for them.

Does Pete make his QBs better? Obviously. Can he win without Russell? Yes. He's made the playoffs in roughly 60% of his seasons without Russ.