Pete Carroll Philosophy

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
No , that was bad all the way around. Pete Carroll took the heat and said it was on him but he doesn't call the offense. That's what a leader does.
Now Mr Unlimited should've as a top tier
League leading qb should've recognized this and threw it away, tuck and run (he was still fast at this point) Or called an audible and give the rock to two-fo

Peyton Manning would've thrown it in the dirt so would've Brady or any other qb
That had ANY sense .

Unlimited was probably already picturing himself on sports illustrated and making the talk show circuit juuuuusst before throwing a history changing pick.

😆

Lol. So all those QBs you listed were going to throw a split second timing play into the ground? Ok sure. You got me there. What those QBs would have done though is to take it upon themselves to call a timeout knowing the play wasnt going to work. It was the worst play call ever. The Patriots knew what it was before the ball was snapped and Seattle had the worst possible personnel on the field to execute it. Carrolls biggest blunder was not firing Bevell immediately after that play to show it wasnt acceptable. Instead he chose to lose the locker room and it hasent been the same since.

Mizak

Reaction score
Since everybody says Geno is a big part of the Seahawks success, let’s look at what he did against elite teams last year:

Week 2 vs 49ers 27-7 Loss
Week 15 vs 49ers 21-13 Loss(take garbage points away, it was 21-6; didn’t score 13 points until 3:35 remaining in 4th quarter.
Week 16 vs Chiefs 24-10 Loss(take garbage points away, it was 24-3; didn’t score 10 points until 2:25 remaining 4th quarter.
Wild Card vs 49ers, 41-23 Loss(take garbage points away, it was 41-17; didn’t score 23 points until 1:48 remaining in 4th quarter. Good plan until 2nd half and Geno laid an egg.

offense clicks because of Geno but look what happened against those elite teams.

BASF

Reaction score
Since everybody says Geno is a big part of the Seahawks success, let’s look at what he did against elite teams last year:

Week 15 vs 49ers 21-13 Loss(take garbage points away, it was 21-6; didn’t score 13 points until 3:35 remaining in 4th quarter.
Week 16 vs Chiefs 24-10 Loss(take garbage points away, it was 24-3; didn’t score 10 points until 2:25 remaining 4th quarter.
Wild Card vs 49ers, 41-23 Loss(take garbage points away, it was 41-17; didn’t score 23 points until 1:48 remaining in 4th quarter. Good plan until 2nd half and Geno laid an egg.

offense clicks because of Geno but look what happened against those elite teams.
Keepin' it real right there. Excellent job Mizak.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Lol. So all those QBs you listed were going to throw a split second timing play into the ground? Ok sure. You got me there. What those QBs would have done though is to take it upon themselves to call a timeout knowing the play wasnt going to work. It was the worst play call ever. The Patriots knew what it was before the ball was snapped and Seattle had the worst possible personnel on the field to execute it. Carrolls biggest blunder was not firing Bevell immediately after that play to show it wasnt acceptable. Instead he chose to lose the locker room and it hasent been the same since.
I agree with some of what you said regarding a top qb and it's their recognition and decision making. Yes unlimited won a bunch of games and hey this is the NFL , it says something but he was playing scramble hero ball and I give Doug Baldwin and Kearse then Lockett as much or more credit than #3 because they were bailing him out.

I would've left Bevell in Arizona , in a bad section of town .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

None of this refutes the statement that Geno was a big part of the team's success last year.

He is a mostly good, sometimes great, and sometimes bad QB who can manage a game and make some throws. But needs a good run game and the defense to play well. Statistically he was a top 10 QB in the league, but has yet to prove he can carry a team, or even come from behind in the 4th quarter of games.

Thus his team friendly contract laden with incentives and outs for the team after year 1. Very few fans think he's anything more than what I just described. So not sure what the revelation is.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
None of this refutes the statement that Geno was a big part of the team's success last year.

He is a mostly good, sometimes great, and sometimes bad QB who can manage a game and make some throws. But needs a good run game and the defense to play well. Statistically he was a top 10 QB in the league, but has yet to prove he can carry a team, or even come from behind in the 4th quarter of games.

Thus his team friendly contract laden with incentives and outs for the team after year 1. Very few fans think he's anything more than what I just described. So not sure what the revelation is.

Exactly. He could like Hasselbeck get to a Superbowl IF he has a team that is pretty loaded but you could say the very same for almost any starting NFL quarterback.

I expect very little from him other then don't make dumb mistakes.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Many quarterbacks, even the elite, make throws that should have been picked. While I'm not disagreeing with you that Geno should work to drive those as far down as possible, I think people that keep calling this out are overreacting when it comes to Geno and this stat. He's not alone when it comes to that. That isn't an aberration that is somehow unique to Geno. But you wouldn't know that based on how some sound off here about it.
Many DBs repeatedly show why they are DBs and not WRs. Some of them just can't catch the damn ball.
And that's without mentioning how many LBs show why they're not TEs when a ball hits them in the hands.

Mick063

Reaction score
Throwing out a couple scores without mentioning the defense, while critical of Geno. It reveals a very simplistic perspective. Such "analysis" cannot be taken seriously. The team far exceeded expectations despite a bottom three run defense. All because Geno broke a couple of franchise records.

It was a great decision to not draft a day one quarterback. That is what this is all about isn't it?

ivotuk

Reaction score
If the second best coach struggles with some things, maybe it's because those things aren't easy. I never understand folks wanting mea culpas for these things and Pete being flippant is just him saying "screw you, I don't have to say sorry every time you guys think I messed up."
You'll find that Andy Reid gets just as much criticism for challenges and clock management from his fan base.

FOr all the Pete Haters, my pat line is, "Be careful what you wish for." The next coach is much more likely to be worse than better. By a large margin.
You obviously didn't pay attention to what I was saying. His "flippancy" was usually prior to games.

And where do you get that in a Pete Hater and want him gone? I said nothing of the sort.

I think you already had your mind made up about what you were going to say before you read my post. I don't know how else to explain your post. 🤯

sc85sis

Reaction score
Great post Chris.

I think Pete is a great head coach, but he interferes too much. When Schotty moved upstairs, the offense came alive. I think Schotty's limitations, and Russell's ego put an end to that.

The Superb Owl we lost, Pete's asking Bevell questions while the clock is ticking down to the last seconds. Pete said "I asked Bevell, 'What've we got?'" So DB is explaining to Pete his plans, instead of focusing in a high pressure situation.

And I wonder why former DC's never come back here?

Pete's other downfall is when he gets flippant about something. Like when someone asked him about the heat and humidity in San Diego. His response? "They have to play in it too!" I'll never forget seeing people holding 4' x 8' white boards over the players for shade.

1st game last year, a couple of minutes left, and Pete throws a horrible red flag on a 1st down, and lost. Luckily we didn't need them, but Monday morning when Salk asked him if that was risky, Pete said "I don't care about them time outs!"

I was dumbfounded. RW had the 2nd most 4th quarter come backs, using time outs...

If he had cleaned that stuff up, the wasted challenges, or the inexplicable time outs, the interfering, we probably would have had more home playoff games, and advanced further in to the playoffs each time.

Despite my complaints, I think he's the 2nd best head coach in the NFL, behind only Andy Reid. Carroll is easily a Hall of Fame coach, and he should be a First Ballot Half of Famer.

I'm not sure, but he might become the only head coach in 2 Hall's of Fame, NFL, and NCAA.
He’s not eligible for the college hall of fame because he wasn’t a head coach for ten years.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
Speaking of Pete's philosophy, he's always been known for his running game (LenDale White/Reggie Bush, Lynch, Carson) and getting the most out of mediocre QB talent (Palmer, Leinart, Sanchez, Wilson(tbd), Smith).

He's achieved this by playing stout defense which has amplified the effects of being able to control the clock with the run and the impact of big plays in the pass game because his teams are built to hold leads.

Now, after our SB win, the league changed the rules to make defending the pass more difficult. Suddenly everyone wanted to throw 50x a game and we saw the rise of nickel, dime, and 3-3-5 packages to slow down the passing game. Vic Fangio's defense became popular because of its effectiveness against Patrick Mahomes.

Coming back to Pete's philosophy, what's the weakness of the Vic Fangio defense? A strong running game.

This year I believe we are going to pound the rock, first and foremost. Our toughest opponents will come from our own division, LA and SF, who know us and are built to stop us. Outside of our division, only Baltimore and maybe the Eagles look to be able to stop the run.

Ball control will improve our time of possession and keep our defense fresh so they can finish games.

And on our defense, as reported, there are a lot more packages than they were in the LOB days. I believe this means we can play a Fangio style against Burrow, Hurts, and Jackson; while lining up in Bear (4-3) fronts against the ground and pound teams like SF and TN.

All in all, I think we in a very good position to surprise the league again. We have a strong stable of running backs and WR, a point guard QB that doesn't turn the ball over, and talented enough secondary that we can play man again which allows us to blitz and put an extra defender in the box more often.

keasley45

Reaction score
Speaking of Pete's philosophy, he's always been known for his running game (LenDale White/Reggie Bush, Lynch, Carson) and getting the most out of mediocre QB talent (Palmer, Leinart, Sanchez, Wilson(tbd), Smith).

He's achieved this by playing stout defense which has amplified the effects of being able to control the clock with the run and the impact of big plays in the pass game because his teams are built to hold leads.

Now, after our SB win, the league changed the rules to make defending the pass more difficult. Suddenly everyone wanted to throw 50x a game and we saw the rise of nickel, dime, and 3-3-5 packages to slow down the passing game. Vic Fangio's defense became popular because of its effectiveness against Patrick Mahomes.

Coming back to Pete's philosophy, what's the weakness of the Vic Fangio defense? A strong running game.

This year I believe we are going to pound the rock, first and foremost. Our toughest opponents will come from our own division, LA and SF, who know us and are built to stop us. Outside of our division, only Baltimore and maybe the Eagles look to be able to stop the run.

Ball control will improve our time of possession and keep our defense fresh so they can finish games.

And on our defense, as reported, there are a lot more packages than they were in the LOB days. I believe this means we can play a Fangio style against Burrow, Hurts, and Jackson; while lining up in Bear (4-3) fronts against the ground and pound teams like SF and TN.

All in all, I think we in a very good position to surprise the league again. We have a strong stable of running backs and WR, a point guard QB that doesn't turn the ball over, and talented enough secondary that we can play man again which allows us to blitz and put an extra defender in the box more often.
Nothing there I don't agree with.

hawkfan68

Reaction score

Great points and post. On the point of QB that doesn't turn the ball over, Geno fumbled 8 times and threw 11 INTs. That accounts for 19 TOs. It's not the quantity but when he turned the ball over. In his last game (WC playoff vs 49ers), he made a crucial TO that turned the game from a closely fought contest into a blow out. He also threw 2 gimme INTs against the Panthers in the regular season (both in the 1st qtr) which put the team behind the 8th ball to start the game. A game and against a team they should have easily won. I hope he improves that piece of his game this season.

Last edited:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Great points and post. On the point of QB that doesn't turn the ball over, Geno fumbled 8 times and threw 11 INTs. That accounts for 19 TOs. It's not the quantity but when he turned the ball over. In his last game (WC playoff vs 49ers), he made a crucial TO that turned the game from a closely fought contest into a blow out. He also threw 2 gimme INTs against the Panthers in the regular season (both in the 1st qtr) which put the team behind the 8th ball to start the game. A game and against a team they should have easily won. I hope he improves that piece of his game this season.

Speaking of Pete's philosophy, the first rule of football is "It's all about the ball." (Or something close to that.) If there's anything in Geno's ball handling or decision making that needs to be addressed, I'm pretty sure it will be addressed.