Okung to IR with designation to return

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawksSoc":2tg1ndn7 said:
Seems like the best news we could hope for in the situation, though is anyone a little concerned we have to play JJ Watt next week...?

Watt is a terror for 99% of the offensive linemen in the game. So I think that was a given.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1juwboky said:
HawksSoc":1juwboky said:
Seems like the best news we could hope for in the situation, though is anyone a little concerned we have to play JJ Watt next week...?

Watt is a terror for 99% of the offensive linemen in the game. So I think that was a given.

Very true, but Okung v him feels better then McQuistan. Ah well we can't do anything about it so no point in worrying I guess. Rollout Russ, roooooooooll.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Agreed that it could have been worse....... But man it still sucks that he is gonna miss a good chunk of the season.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Looking at the schedule, if he's going to be hurt, the mid part of the season is the time to do it. You've got Watt and the Rams DEs who are particularly scary. The rest of the teams...not as much.

Veilside

Reaction score
This right here is a big reason we are lucky to have Russell Wilson. Even if pressured, he is still super accurate on the run and will always give us a chance to make plays despite having guys like JJ Watt blow through our LT (ala Aldon Smith last game). He'll still take his sacks but he'll also still make plays and that so far combined with our elite defense has been enough to keep us in EVERY game.

Heal well Okung.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
We will scheme away from Watt at every opportunity, just as we would have with Okung in.

All the talk about how good our depth is.... well, here is where we prove it. We've been without Clemons, Harvin, Irvin and Browner already.

We'll be fine.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
C'est La Vie! Next man up! But seriously if I was to think of one Seahawk that had won me over this year it would be Okung. I was pretty down on him for his injuries early on and now that he is MIA it hurts.

Johnny

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1oelklnh said:
Great point by Breer here too:

AlbertBreer 12:03pm via Web
The Okung news shows the wisdom in the Seahawks keeping Percy Harvin on PUP. Saved the IR-return designation, which is huge now.

Pete-Carroll.jpg

+

2011656813.jpg

=

albert-einstein.jpg

pmedic920

Reaction score
HawksSoc":dqa2ln6x said:

I am. But I was before this injury. I think they will game plan a reasonable fix though.

oasis

Reaction score
Putting Mcquistan in at LT will allow us to get the most out of our rookies.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
This just takes options away from our offense and makes us easier to defend. We are going to have to give mcquiston help with either a back or te to chip.

Largent80

Reaction score
This game Sunday is perfect for McQ. He didn't take a single snap at LT for the entire week before the 9er game and didn't do too bad considering. This week he is a full go at practice and the game.

Sturm

Reaction score
I really hope that when it comes time to negotiate to resign Okung, that his injuries are heavily weighted. In short, he should't be paid much more than your above-average veteran player.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Really tough break, and really unfortunate. News like this makes the 3-0 start* that much more important. If he's back by week 11 it also gives all your returning players time to gel before the playoffs, which is also a positive that can be gleamed out of this negative situation, IMO. If everyone comes back on track you guys are going to be really, really scary at the exact right time.

The bigger and more long term concern of course though is that while Okung is a real talent for sure, if he makes it back by week 11 and doesn't go out again, in his four years he'll have averaged about 11 games per season on the field, not counting any of the games he's had to leave. At about 10 Mil per year for the next two years, that's hard to stomach with all the contracts coming up. Am I wrong or is it different stuff all the time? (I remember his groin during the combine and a shoulder thing that made him miss five or six games, but don't know the history as well as most of ya).

*I know you guys haven't beaten the Jags yet, but c'mon. :)

Sac

Reaction score
HawksSoc":19f2bgvj said:

We're going to run the ball right at him.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We're going to need to rely even heavier on the run just like we did in the second half vs. the 49ers. I think we'll be fine, but people might need to get their expectations of a highly dynamic passing offense in check for a while. Getting Percy back will help, but that's still at least 5-6 weeks away at best.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
This is a big loss, but in all honesty, I haven't "lost any sleep" over it. This is not downplaying Okung's impact/importance, but for some odd reason I am not too worried about this. Yes, this (potentially) changes the scheme quite a bit, but with RW, I feel like he embraces crap like this and only plays better.

Call me crazy...I wouldn't blame you, but I see a team that truly embraces the "next man up" mantra and will find a way to overcome it.