Ok. QBOTF. Who/when/where/why & how?

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
This is not an anti Geno thread. This is not an anti-'anyone' thread. I firmly believe that Geno is an above average QB with a busted Oline, shitty playcalling, and no time to throw at the moment. I believe that all these things are correctable - whether they will be corrected or not.

Whether 12, 24, or 36 months from now, it's inevitable that the Hawks will need someone to replace Mr. Smith.

I do not follow college ball - just don't have the headspace and/or time to do so.

Who do you want? When should it go down? How do we amass the draft capital that it will take? Who would we trade to amass this draft capital? How much should we pay? Is this a draft acquisition or a pricey veteran trade?

I don't have the answers - and I don't even have tendencies towards answers. But I'm sure some people have a plan -

Anyone?

Edit: and this assumes that it's 'not Lock'. Which I don't even have a big enough sample size on to even judge. He's a valid vote if you wanted - I just need more info if it is.

Last edited:

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Michael Pennix Jr. He will elevate this offense to new heights.

He has a rocket of an arm, superb accuracy, great leadership. He's just a winner.

Teams will be frightened by the fact he turns 25 by the start of next season, so he'll slide to the Seahawks in the middle of the 1st.

I have spoken.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
The Seahawks don't draft QBs. We'll end up with someone else's leftovers...

Cousins could win it all for us in his twilight years, something like that, I bet.

I hate that, but I think they're too scared to draft a QB, I mean what if they bust?

We just don't EVER draft QBs. Wilson was an anomaly cuz he could be had in the 3rd round.

If we DO get a QB it will be something like Levis, a 2nd day guy at best.

GemCity

Reaction score

He has a rocket of an arm, superb accuracy, great leadership. He's just a winner.

Teams will be frightened by the fact he turns 25 by the start of next season, so he'll slide to the Seahawks in the middle of the 1st.

I have spoken.
This sounds nice!

mistaowen

Reaction score
Pete and John think highly of Drew Lock, so I am very curious what their long term vision for him is. He absolutely has the arm talent and athleticism to succeed as a starter and is being paid good back up money to stay, problem for him all the way back to college has been the mental part, so maybe these 2 years learning on the bench is exactly what he needed. I know JS was very high on him in the draft too and typically has an excellent eye for college QB's. Pete even mentioned yesterday he sees growth from him and how badly he wants to be out there, so I'll be interested if they view him as the heir or just trust him as the back up.

I doubt they have any chance on Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, there are QB needy teams drafting ahead of us who will sprint to the podium for them. Rattler/Penix/Nix/McCarthy are all in the next bucket, I don't know if any of them are NFL ready but all have starter traits for sure. I would think one of them would fall to the Seahawks pick, if JS feels strongly enough.

I wouldn't be shocked if JS really likes Spencer Rattler. He is an absolute monster as far as QB attributes go but has had such a bizarre college career after initially being locked in as a #1 pick that he may slide. Huge arm, tremendous accuracy, great feel in the pocket, excellent on the move to all areas of the field, athletic, has become a clear leader after being humbled at Oklahoma, etc. The talent level at SC is poor and in every major win, it's basically been Spencer dragging the team. I would be happy taking him if he were to fall in R1.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
No one in contention for first overall is going to answer calls for Caleb, and Drake Maye to me isn't sure-fire enough to mortgage the next half decade of football for.

You just gotta keep turning over stones. I am so far pretty unmoved by this QB class, but keep looking. Don't force yourself into an error.

The reason some teams enter QB hell and don't get out of it is because they continually force flawed moves to try to solve the issue.

The answer is simply to scour the draftable prospects, scour the free agency list, and take whoever you can if you really think they can help you. Trade up if you're smitten. Stay pat if you have doubts.

It can take time. You can have some decent runs in between the decade-long stalwarts.

Note specifically on Penix: I like Penix. I don't know if I like him here. I'd take him in the second or third.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
It's likely going to take something like a bad injury history for a big name QB to fall to us.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
Pete and John think highly of Drew Lock, so I am very curious what their long term vision for him is. He absolutely has the arm talent and athleticism to succeed as a starter and is being paid good back up money to stay, problem for him all the way back to college has been the mental part, so maybe these 2 years learning on the bench is exactly what he needed. I know JS was very high on him in the draft too and typically has an excellent eye for college QB's. Pete even mentioned yesterday he sees growth from him and how badly he wants to be out there, so I'll be interested if they view him as the heir or just trust him as the back up.

I doubt they have any chance on Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, there are QB needy teams drafting ahead of us who will sprint to the podium for them. Rattler/Penix/Nix/McCarthy are all in the next bucket, I don't know if any of them are NFL ready but all have starter traits for sure. I would think one of them would fall to the Seahawks pick, if JS feels strongly enough.

I wouldn't be shocked if JS really likes Spencer Rattler. He is an absolute monster as far as QB attributes go but has had such a bizarre college career after initially being locked in as a #1 pick that he may slide. Huge arm, tremendous accuracy, great feel in the pocket, excellent on the move to all areas of the field, athletic, has become a clear leader after being humbled at Oklahoma, etc. The talent level at SC is poor and in every major win, it's basically been Spencer dragging the team. I would be happy taking him if he were to fall in R1.
Rattler. Good lord he comes off as over-the -top arrogant and entitled. Maybe - as you mentioned - he has been humbled. I hope so. You are correct his physical talent is off the charts, but it is hard to see past his early behavior to this point.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't see a 72 year old coach and GM who think they're putting together another SB roster dealing with a rookie QB who's going to take 2-3 years to develop, if he develops at all.

If Geno tanks the rest of the year, I fully expect a trade or another scrap heap free agent QB brought in to game manage the offense in hopes the rest of the team continues to improve around him.

Rookie QB's are for complete rebuilds, or in the Niners case out of desperation.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Rattler. Good lord he comes off as over-the -top arrogant and entitled. Maybe - as you mentioned - he has been humbled. I hope so. You are correct his physical talent is off the charts, but it is hard to see past his early behavior to this point.

For sure, at Oklahoma he was basically Jimmy Clausen. I saw an interview with him coming into this year and he's an entirely different kid. Very mature, well spoken, admits he wishes he handled his time at Oklahoma better, etc. So I think him having to go to a much inferior SC team, putting the team on his back, and still losing humbled him. Somewhat reminds me of Will Levis at Kentucky but with more raw talent. His combine will be very interesting, if he just wow's everyone I'm sure QB needy GM's may go for it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I would go nuts if it was Penix but there are some other interesting candidates too in this draft class.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I've been able to watch Penix play in person several times. He is a phenom. His field vision, his cannon for an arm, his ability to fit the ball in to tight windows, and how he elevates in big moments. You can't measure that at a combine, imo. He doesn't scramble around like he used to, but he's very capable. He just happens to be behind an o-line that gives him time to scan in the pocket. He can make EVERY throw, period.
Sure, I'm a Dawgs fan, but I know what I see. Does a QB elevate his game in the big moments? He absolutely does.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Let's start with the basics and go from there....

1. Size (over 6'2" & 200lbs)
2. Accuracy
3. Arm Strength
4. Mobility
5. Leadership

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Penix has ALL of that and then some. Even people who don't like UW can't honestly deny that. He's a ridiculous football player, and he is clutch.
Another thing he has that you don't see in a lot of guys: Short term memory loss.

He could overthrow a guy a couple times for a sure TD, and he almost ALWAYS comes back and makes the same throw on the money. This has happened on a regular basis. He's a cold-blooded killer with the game on the line. That matters a lot.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score

I have spoken.
This would be ideal. And an unlikely dream come true. But it would be great - maybe we trade up

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Penix has ALL of that and then some. Even people who don't like UW can't honestly deny that. He's a ridiculous football player, and he is clutch.
Another thing he has that you don't see in a lot of guys: Short term memory loss.

He could overthrow a guy a couple times for a sure TD, and he almost ALWAYS comes back and makes the same throw on the money. This has happened on a regular basis. He's a cold-blooded killer with the game on the line. That matters a lot.
Penix is everything you want, for the most part. I just worry about his footwork and his escapability. He has a great arm, but it feels like he's going to be prone to over-reliance on his arm strength. He's got some stuff to rework.

Then, you add in the injuries, and you add in the relatively low rate of lefty QBs hitting as prospects, and I think you've got enough dings to have him outside of the first round. But I think most other teams will too, so it might just be fair game.