Oh you silly Jets. (Geno Smith punched by team mate)

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
Maulbert":12538v8e said:
HAWKAMANIA":12538v8e said:
I heard that Geno tried to swing at him in retaliation and missed by 10 yards.

I also heard he hit the grass.
Which is especially amazing when you consider that he was in the locker room when he started to throw the punch. :D

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2015":wnn28ypy said:
What was taking Geno so long to pay the guy back? It's $600 . . . he has made over $3 million in the last two seasons.

Anyway, he is not a very good QB. This could be the beginning of the end for him.

I give Geno the bigger share of the blame myself.

I know that Geno had a good excuse for missing the trip, but it doesn't change his financial liability to a teammate who's making a fraction of his salary. We don't know what was said, but procrastinating on 600 bucks sounds to me like Geno was trying to wiggle out of it. If you want to be the face of the franchise, you pay the guy back as soon as possible and would never even think of trying to skirt responsibility.

Violence is never the answer, but I kinda feel bad for the LB. If it had been a "normal" punch this would have been next to nothing, but because he landed a good one and broke Geno's jaw, it's probably going to be his career.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Exactly.

And the very plausible rumor is that Geno was wagging his finger in the guy's face and challenged him as to what he was going to do about it. Cementing his douchebag status forever, as if his accomplishments could support his career.

A few things:

You can pay people without having to meet up with them. Mail a check, wire money, whatever. You pay your obligations to your people.

As to whether the LB should get another shot? Two words (or one name) Olin Kreutz.

Football is a violent sport for violent people. It is not a referendum on being a good citizen, that is just a nice to have bonus.

Look at Ray Rice potentially joining the Browns. Or Michael Vick still playing. In the scheme of things, decking a teammate is not really a career killer but for the fact that right now the NFL has to pretend like it cares about violence outside of stadium. It cares but not in proportion to how much it cares about ability to produce on field.

McGuinest already pointed out that he is more on IK's side on this one and as a former player, he would prefer a guy like IK on the team than say, Martin. Considering the potential, I still say the Hawks should look at him as a possible camp addition - pass rushers are always a fantastic addition and I don't think Wilson would be in danger since I bet he just would have paid him the $600.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":1b72h5eg said:
hawknation2015":1b72h5eg said:
What was taking Geno so long to pay the guy back? It's $600 . . . he has made over $3 million in the last two seasons.

Anyway, he is not a very good QB. This could be the beginning of the end for him.

I know that Geno had a good excuse for missing the trip, but it doesn't change his financial liability to a teammate who's making a fraction of his salary. We don't know what was said, but procrastinating on 600 bucks sounds to me like Geno was trying to wiggle out of it. If you want to be the face of the franchise, you pay the guy back as soon as possible and would never even think of trying to skirt responsibility.

Violence is never the answer, but I kinda feel bad for the LB. If it had been a "normal" punch this would have been next to nothing, but because he landed a good one and broke Geno's jaw, it's probably going to be his career.

It's not the first time a player has been punched in a locker room over money. Remember Olin Kreutz getting sent to anger management at UW after breaking teammate Sekou Wiggs' jaw in the locker room?

Also, when Carroll was at USC, during the spring before their attempt to go for a Three-Pete in 2005, Steve Smith (former Giants' 2nd Rounder, now retired) fractured the jaw of USC's starting TE. That kind of stuff happens when money (and/or respect) is at stake between young men.

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/apr/13 ... sp-uscfb13

I don't feel sorry for him though, as it's a very dumb move for a player trying to make a roster.

mikeak

Reaction score
kearly":24tjbagp said:
hawknation2015":24tjbagp said:

Agreed 100%

Also just guessing but I have a really hard time seeing that Geno gets punched if he says "I am really sorry but I just keep forgetting the money - I promise I will pay"........

kidhawk

Reaction score
This story just keeps getting better and better

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/631561073318100993[/tweet]

kidhawk

Reaction score
Maulbert":98coanc7 said:
kidhawk":98coanc7 said:

Seriously, who didn't see this coming?

They needed something to sell tickets to the Nov. 12 Bills/Jets game besides Ryan facing his old team

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Or he could just be a really physically gifted defensive player with a ton of raw talent...that was sitting there for the taking.

Say what you want about Rex, but you cannot accuse the guy of not being able to spot solid defensive talent.

He might really like feet or whatever, but he can coach a defense.

Good chance IK lasts longer in the NFL than Geno.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
kidhawk":2w0jkigl said:
Maulbert":2w0jkigl said:
kidhawk":2w0jkigl said:

They needed something to sell tickets to the Nov. 12 Bills/Jets game besides Ryan facing his old team
2 things:

1- IK has proven he know how to get to the QB ... the Bill just hope he can get to the other team's QB (what, no rim-shot smilie?)

2- Is there any doubt now that the Jets are gonna press assault charges on behalf of Geno?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":3fdv1t2e said:
kidhawk":3fdv1t2e said:
Maulbert":3fdv1t2e said:
kidhawk":3fdv1t2e said:

2 things:

1- IK has proven he know how to get to the QB ... the Bill just hope he can get to the other team's QB (what, no rim-shot smilie?)

:thmusik36:

2- Is there any doubt now that the Jets are gonna press assault charges on behalf of Geno?

I thought we had one...dammit. So I improvised. Tshhhhhh.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
SeatownJay":94wu53af said:
Trenchbroom":94wu53af said:
Broken jaw by a hothead 6th round LB. Rex Ryan must be dyin' of laughter right now.
If Rex was still the Jets coach, he would've given the LB a bonus.

When the news came out today, the first thing I thought of was this post. Had to stop by to offer kudos on the good call

-bsd

pmedic920

Reaction score
Does anybody think a law suite will be in the future, on this?

Geno had the starting job, now he doesn't and IMHO probably won't get it back. Hell he may get cut before its all said and done.
Sounds like the basis for a big civil case against IK.

nanomoz

Reaction score
How has the MTPO meme not been posted in here yet? Did I miss it?

Attachments

• resize.png
    resize.png
    192.4 KB · Views: 400

kidhawk

Reaction score
ESPN took notice to the Fitzpatrick jinx, heretofore known as the FitzJinx

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/631863617126801408[/tweet]

He was signed to back up Carson Palmer, Trent Edwards, Jake Locker and Geno Smith and they all got injured.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":3ngcev74 said:
ESPN took notice to the Fitzpatrick jinx, heretofore known as the FitzJinx

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/631863617126801408[/tweet]

He was signed to back up Carson Palmer, Trent Edwards, Jake Locker and Geno Smith and they all got injured.

So, you're saying he's theoretically behind all these injuries....? I can picture him doing some back alley meetings to get the starters injured. It makes me laugh.