OBJ a good fit for Seattle?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well that gets back to the root of the issue, the problem is PC.

You win by leveraging your best player. Your best player passes the ball. Your greatest strength is your offense.

Not going to a pass heavy offense when that is one of the few things you can do well is just being stubborn or stupid or both.

But setting that aside, Fade pointed out the obvious - if Tyler or Metcalf get hurt you are screwed.

OBJ is insurance.

The other issue is that you need OBJ to keep him out of the other teams you have to compete with.

We are chasing other teams, we don't need them improving their WR group.

But you are right, the problem is PC. It is the biggest obstacle to the team's success and will continue to be so.

OBJ just placates Wilson a bit which is all we can hope for right now.

hawker84

Reaction score
Scorpion05":17pgydv6 said:
It amazes me how much the narrative is painted for these guys. Multiple DBs respect his game, literally no player has ever called him a locker room cancer (unlike AB and others).

It’s also pretty clear that many here are uhhh… old school. The Buccaneers proved how valuable it is to have 3 great wide receivers in the modern NFL. You cannot dominate in today’s NFL without a good WR3. We can blame any quarterback we have here, but we have to get with the times. Odell would be a tremendous addition. If we get him, every person here should publicly eat crow when he thrives here. :D

What's wrong with being uuhhh, old school, you mean old?

First off Tampa has an O line and a quick passing game where Brady has time progress through reads or dump off. We don't have either... so I say again, whats the point bringing in another Percy Harvin or Jimmy Graham? Unless he can block defensive ends..

Rat

Reaction score
SlickRick":1fk9rfgt said:
Rat":1fk9rfgt said:
SlickRick":1fk9rfgt said:
IMO Odell doesn't make this a 10 win team. Let's throw $ at WR that oughta win us another SuperBowl.. yeah... Right ... No. Wide Receiver isn't the problem.

Odell isn't going to protect Wilson against the Rams updated Pass Rush, he's just another head case & distraction like Percy Harvin. He"ll be good in flashes . But why bring him on now, because it's what Wilson wants ?

What great pass rusher or offensive lineman is available? Keep in mind, the trade deadline already passed. He'd be cheap anyway, so we'd still have money to spend if someone else surprising becomes avialable.

So you want Percy Harvin 2.0 ? More of locker room cancer ? You're fine with that ? The insanity on these message boards my god. Rather take a level headed player than Harvin 2.0 . How did it work in Cleveland again with him & Mayfield ?

December 19/ 2021 Seahawks Vs Rams in L.A ,
I hope we do get OBJ, just so you see how ridiculous this post was, when the Rams Curb stomp Seattle while OBJ is just standing out there. Seahawks about to get swept again by the Rams. Oh well atleast OBJ is a house hold name.

This would be nothing like Harvin. We invested a LOT in him. OBJ wouldn't cost any draft capital, and he's cheap after restructuring his deal. He can't hold us hostage, because we could just cut his ass the second he causes any problems. We didn't have that luxury with Harvin. It's basically no different than when we signed Josh Gordon, except OBJ has actually flashed ability more recently than 2012.

Maybe it wouldn't work, but hell, we're 3-5. Time to gamble. How often is someone as good as him available this late into the season?

Lagartixa

Reaction score
hawkfan68":dtil6c3m said:
Lagartixa":dtil6c3m said:
Fade":dtil6c3m said:
The Seahawks have 2 good WRs so they don't need another one argument makes no sense.

Lockett has gotten hurt the last 2 seasons and the offense went into the tank. The Seahawks are 1 injury away from having only 1 good WR in other words.

OK, but adding Odell Beckham, Jr., who hasn't been good in six years, is not going to improve that situation.

Beckham's last reasonably good season was 2015. His only two good seasons were 2014 (his rookie season) and 2015. And he's been downright bad in 2019, 2020, and 2021.

The Seahawks have two WRs who are very clearly better than Beckham will ever be again in his career. The thing is that I'm not convinced Beckham would be better than sixth on the depth chart if the Seahawks were to actually acquire him. Should all the promise (and actual performance!) Beckham showed in 2014-2015 weigh more than his piss-poor play in 2019-2021 or his league-average performance in 2016-2018? I say no. There's a clear trend in his career, and it's not the good kind.

Beckham is very famous and quite wealthy, and he's made some truly spectacular plays, but he just isn't a very good wide receiver.

His stats state otherwise. He had 74 receptions for 1035 yards in 2019 and 77 receptions for 1052 yards in 2018.
https://www.nfl.com/players/odell-beckham/stats/career

He's more of a threat to a defense than any other WR on the Seahawks roster not named Lockett or Metcalf.

74 receptions on 133 targets, good for a 56% catch rate. That's bad. His DVOA reflects that: -5.4%. Below-average, heading toward bad. And 77 receptions on 124 targets, for a good-for-Beckham 62% catch rate and a DVOA of 2.5%, good for 27th in the league, his only top-FIFTY showing since 2015.

Not a good receiver. He's a famous one with some spectacular highlights, one who looked like he could be a great receiver in his unforgettable rookie season. But he hasn't actually been a good receiver since 2015.

rcaido

Reaction score
Lagartixa":3keblt60 said:
hawkfan68":3keblt60 said:
Lagartixa":3keblt60 said:
Fade":3keblt60 said:
The Seahawks have 2 good WRs so they don't need another one argument makes no sense.

Lockett has gotten hurt the last 2 seasons and the offense went into the tank. The Seahawks are 1 injury away from having only 1 good WR in other words.

OK, but adding Odell Beckham, Jr., who hasn't been good in six years, is not going to improve that situation.

Beckham's last reasonably good season was 2015. His only two good seasons were 2014 (his rookie season) and 2015. And he's been downright bad in 2019, 2020, and 2021.

The Seahawks have two WRs who are very clearly better than Beckham will ever be again in his career. The thing is that I'm not convinced Beckham would be better than sixth on the depth chart if the Seahawks were to actually acquire him. Should all the promise (and actual performance!) Beckham showed in 2014-2015 weigh more than his piss-poor play in 2019-2021 or his league-average performance in 2016-2018? I say no. There's a clear trend in his career, and it's not the good kind.

Beckham is very famous and quite wealthy, and he's made some truly spectacular plays, but he just isn't a very good wide receiver.

His stats state otherwise. He had 74 receptions for 1035 yards in 2019 and 77 receptions for 1052 yards in 2018.
https://www.nfl.com/players/odell-beckham/stats/career

He's more of a threat to a defense than any other WR on the Seahawks roster not named Lockett or Metcalf.

74 receptions on 133 targets, good for a 56% catch rate. That's bad. His DVOA reflects that: -5.4%. Below-average, heading toward bad. And 77 receptions on 124 targets, for a good-for-Beckham 62% catch rate and a DVOA of 2.5%, good for 27th in the league, his only top-FIFTY showing since 2015.

Not a good receiver. He's a famous one with some spectacular highlights, one who looked like he could be a great receiver in his unforgettable rookie season. But he hasn't actually been a good receiver since 2015.

So you would take Swain over OBJ? What if Metcalf or Lockett gets hurt? You also have to factor in who the QB is in Clevland...Mayfield was throwing less than 60% accuracy, 22td 21int during those years.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Rat":1t3v9c0y said:
What great pass rusher or offensive lineman is available? Keep in mind, the trade deadline already passed. He'd be cheap anyway, so we'd still have money to spend if someone else surprising becomes avialable.

Rams just picked up Von Miller. While a shell of his former self, he's still better than anybody Seattle has. Players of need do exist if you look hard enough. OBJ doesnt seem like a player of need, but again, he'll be so irrelevant in Seattle,,,,who cares.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
GemCity":3ur9u46a said:
pittpnthrs":3ur9u46a said:
He's a 1M dollar rental that will never thrive in Seattles offense. Who cares? Its meaningless if the Hawks sign him or not.

Respectfully, I disagree.

When was the last time Seattle picked up a big name FA and the results were what you expected them to be?

seabowl

Reaction score
We don't even use the receivers we have nearly enough (DK and Lockett). What makes anyone think that Odell will help with that?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":38ahn18u said:
GemCity":38ahn18u said:
pittpnthrs":38ahn18u said:
He's a 1M dollar rental that will never thrive in Seattles offense. Who cares? Its meaningless if the Hawks sign him or not.

Respectfully, I disagree.

When was the last time Seattle picked up a big name FA and the results were what you expected them to be?

Those 170 yards and no TD's were magical.

D2Dw1HkVAAEL9EO

hawkfan68

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1am7gx4e said:
Rat":1am7gx4e said:

Rams just picked up Von Miller. While a shell of his former self, he's still better than anybody Seattle has. Players of need do exist if you look hard enough. OBJ doesnt seem like a player of need, but again, he'll be so irrelevant in Seattle,,,,who cares.

Rams got Miller in a trade. It's not like they got him for nothing which if the Seahawk get OBJ, that what they will do.

LTH

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":vc20a671 said:
Rat":vc20a671 said:

No he is not... Taylor is a better player way more up side.

LTH

Fade

Reaction score
Lagartixa":3qfyws61 said:
Fade":3qfyws61 said:

[youtube]80NFbaUbdbg[/youtube]
He looks good to me. He just needs a QB.

LTH

Reaction score
The more I think about it the more I think its a no lose situation.

LTH

themunn

Reaction score
Fade":1p78opju said:
[youtube]80NFbaUbdbg[/youtube]
He looks good to me. He just needs a QB.

That's the first time I've actually watched the video - I thought it was sour grapes when I read about it being posted, but that's pretty damning - either he is running his own routes and making it up on the fly, or Mayfield doesn't want him to catch the ball, because there's no reason he should be missed so many times - with passes directed AT HIM

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ECSN206/status/1457871378166673410[/tweet]

Parsing Pete.

I think they claimed him, but did a team ahead of them claim him too?

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":wubv3gzi said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ECSN206/status/1457871378166673410[/tweet]

Parsing Pete.

I think they claimed him, but did a team ahead of them claim him too?

Ohhhh the drama... will OBJ be a Seahawk? got to wait till tomorrow LOL that so sucks A$$...

I agree fade I think they claimed him as well.. well see tomorrow...

LTH

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
LTH":1kjm0h9o said:
pittpnthrs":1kjm0h9o said:
Rat":1kjm0h9o said:

No he is not... Taylor is a better player way more up side.

LTH

Taylor is not better than him right now.