OBJ a good fit for Seattle?

SlickRick

Reaction score
Seymour":2ttka6fx said:
SoulfishHawk":2ttka6fx said:
Twisted, again......EVERY team passed on him, not just the Hawks.

Just sayin

100% this.
Don't believe he's not worth the $$ and drama? The NFL's 32 teams just answered.....NO!!!

1 million $$ per game your going to pay him as a #3 here in a losing season that you ditched KJ Wright for $3.4M??

Why the hell even consider such insanity?

Faxx!!!

massari

Reaction score
LTH":2ds7a9q7 said:
who in there right mind would pay him 7.5 mil for half a year that's insane...
A desperate team with the cap space, who should be trying to please their elite HOF QB so they don't lose him after the season.

EtqpTJ WYAE8Auzformatjpgnamemedium

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It isn't always about making your team better.

Sometimes it is about keeping someone off a roster that makes another team better.

Is OBJ a perfect solution for us? Only if we other to throw the effing ball.

But there are a number of teams we don't want him on.

Teams we have to compete with for a playoff spot or might meet in the playoffs.

Personally, I think he would help the offense and more importantly be insurance for if one of our main weapons got injured/sick etc. But that is immaterial. You don't let him go to a team you have to compete with that would benefit from him.

And the sick part is that most of the best fits for him all are NFC teams we would prefer don't get better and have depth issues at WR this would assist.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1c4rvdcf said:
It isn't always about making your team better.

Sometimes it is about keeping someone off a roster that makes another team better.

Is OBJ a perfect solution for us? Only if we other to throw the effing ball.

But there are a number of teams we don't want him on.

Teams we have to compete with for a playoff spot or might meet in the playoffs.

Personally, I think he would help the offense and more importantly be insurance for if one of our main weapons got injured/sick etc. But that is immaterial. You don't let him go to a team you have to compete with that would benefit from him.

And the sick part is that most of the best fits for him all are NFC teams we would prefer don't get better and have depth issues at WR this would assist.

You and I are usually always on the same page Twisted, but I cant agree with you on this one. If the rumor mills were painted with messages of him wanting to sign with the Rams or Cardinals, I could see your point, but you cant sign players just in fear that they might sign somewhere else.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
OBJ has now cleared waivers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... s-waivers/

He can sign with whatever team he wishes to sign with now.

I'm sure his agent and the Hawks are involved in at the minimum some discussions.

He will be making $4.25 million that the Browns will be paying him so his price will be significantly less than the $7.25 mil waiver claim price. He will want to be UFA after this season and will want to play with a good QB on a team that has the ability to play in the postseason. That despite what many 'Nellies' say here is still a possibility that remains alive. signing him could if he leave result in a Comp pick acquisition possibility.

If Pete were asked now about OBJ he'd say: "we are competing".

RiverDog

Reaction score
After listening to Pete talk about Beckham, being really cryptic about our intentions, I halfway expected us to claim him for the balance of the season. After all, we had the cap space and his contract only lasts through this season, so it would have been pretty low risk, at least financially speaking.

But I was really surprised to see him clear waivers. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. With Metcalf's contract coming up in 2023, I have a hard time believing that we'd be interested in entering the sweepstakes.

LTH

Reaction score
RiverDog":ehdsqw6u said:
After listening to Pete talk about Beckham, being really cryptic about our intentions, I halfway expected us to claim him for the balance of the season. After all, we had the cap space and his contract only lasts through this season, so it would have been pretty low risk, at least financially speaking.

But I was really surprised to see him clear waivers. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. With Metcalf's contract coming up in 2023, I have a hard time believing that we'd be interested in entering the sweepstakes.

It's not over yet... he is a FA, Seattle still might be in it...but truthfully who would want to pay the guy 7.5 mil for half a season?

at this point if he signs with Seattle it will be because he wants to be here... It most certainly will be a deal Seattle can live with... If it happens better this way IMO.. if not then we don't need him anyway... we have one of the best WR tandems in the league

LTH

Elemas

Reaction score
It sounds like there’s a few teams in the mix but, who really knows? Either way, signed to the Hawks or not, is ok.

As long as he doesn’t go to the Rams….we can’t cover them as is.

RiverDog

Reaction score
GemCity":nq3y78x8 said:
It sounds like there’s a few teams in the mix but, who really knows? Either way, signed to the Hawks or not, is ok.

As long as he doesn’t go to the Rams….we can’t cover them as is.

Why is everyone so scared of OBJ? What has he done lately? In 6 games this season, he's averaging less than 3 catches for fewer than 40 yards and no TD's.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":37gm3n1e said:

Firstly, clearing waivers was always the most likely and best case scenario both for teams and for OBJ.

Odell is going to want to hit open UFA market. His current deal would have gone through 2023, but has no remaining guaranteed money in it. By not getting claimed, he essentially gets a third contract (guarantees and all) while he's in his prime. By 2023, he is well past his prime and the deal will be soft.

Teams are going to want to sign him to a one year deal instead of assume his voidable deal. His base salary is extremely high in 2022/23 and teams aren't going to want to pay the backend of that deal (or any deal really as they are structured now). It's why we're currently toting extra cap space today for when we cut/void a bunch of contracts in 2022 and have to toll the remaining guarantees in dead money.

Further, if any team that is already interested in him in the first place signs him to that one year deal he *should* be seeking -- they'll in essence buy half a season of Odell and a possible future draft pick as compensation.

For Odell, he isn't going to get more money if he's claimed. He will get more if he signs as a street FA and then enters the UFA market in March.

The only reason a team would claim him, is if they want him but don't feel like they have a shot at signing him. And even then, he is already a volatile kind of talent. Would it even make sense to claim him to his personal detriment and create a scenario where he makes trouble as a result.

Getting the Odell you want kind of needs to be one of his own volition. Otherwise you get the one you don't want and waste potential cap space in 2022 which has value too.

Fully expected him to clear waivers and go to a team more of his own accord. Makes sense for all parties involved.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
RiverDog":225ph399 said:
Why is everyone so scared of OBJ? What has he done lately? In 6 games this season, he's averaging less than 3 catches for fewer than 40 yards and no TD's.

Exactly. OBJ is a player I honestly just dont care about. Whether Seattle signs him or not,,,,who really cares?

JPatera76

Reaction score
Well if he goes to the chiefs… nothing is changing lol. They aren’t even utilizing Gordon. Lol Mahomes, reminds me of Kaepernick officially, he’s a deer in headlights when his 1st read is gone. If Hill or Kelce are covered he looks like a deer in headlights. And since he tweaked his knee previously he doesn’t take off as much bro run either. As for the Packers and Saints., well I’ll be interested to see what they to do give him the money he wants.

RiverDog

Reaction score
JPatera76":j14e5eio said:
Well if he goes to the chiefs… nothing is changing lol. They aren’t even utilizing Gordon. Lol Mahomes, reminds me of Kaepernick officially, he’s a deer in headlights when his 1st read is gone. If Hill or Kelce are covered he looks like a deer in headlights. And since he tweaked his knee previously he doesn’t take off as much bro run either. As for the Packers and Saints., well I’ll be interested to see what they to do give him the money he wants.

Agreed about Mahomes. Although he's not the primary cause of the Chief's problems, he's a different quarterback this season.

With all the bad PR that the Packers received over the Rodgers controversy, I doubt that they'd want to bring in a player with the red flags attached to him like OBJ has. I'm thinking Saints, Cowboys, Raiders, or Chargers.

I still don't see OBJ as living up to all the hype. He's not that scary.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Saints make a lot of sense. They are a playoff contending team (currently) and in need of WR as their best receiver, Michael Thomas, is out for the season. Furthermore, OBJ is from Louisiana.

If he ends up with the Chiefs, Josh Gordon could be the likely odd man out. So there's a possibility they release Gordon. That means, if the Seahawks and Gordon are willing, they could end up with Gordon.

getnasty

Reaction score
OBJ in GB would scare the hell out of me. Not sure why they've never got Rodgers a second option but he would definitely fit that role well there.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
getnasty":34l1ulmi said:
OBJ in GB would scare the hell out of me. Not sure why they've never got Rodgers a second option but he would definitely fit that role well there.

Cobb, Lazard, and Scantling are all pretty good.

RiverDog

Reaction score
PFT is reporting that the Packers are offering OBJ the veteran minimum to play the rest of the season with them:

Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that the Packers have offered Beckham a contract for the rest of the season at the minimum salary for a veteran player. He adds that the number could go up, but notes that they won’t be able to pay him “a ton.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... n-minimum/

AgentDib

Reaction score
There are two different conversations going on here. It matters enormously how strong our receiver room is after DK and Lockett. It benefits DK and Tyler themselves as the defense has to focus on other players, it benefits Russ as he has more options to work with, it benefits the running game as teams will play softer and it even helps our play calling out because the additional options can keep the opposing defense off balance. If we can upgrade it's worth quite a lot to do so.

Whether OBJ is an upgrade to that receiver room is another question. If he wants to play here and Russ is campaigning for it then I'm on board with giving him a shot. He seems like the kind of player that needs to be happy in order to be productive though, so if he doesn't really want to be here then I wouldn't want to overpay to get him here.

Rat

Reaction score
Most recent reports have him deciding between the Packers, Chiefs, and Saints now. GB and KC I get, but even with Michael Thomas out for the year, is Trevor Siemian really the better choice to help him re-establish his value than Russell Wilson?