Not acquiring Mayfield proves Hawk mgmt wants to tank...

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
He said Baker is trash. I'm saying as opposed to these 2 guys? Come on, Baker is a MUCH better QB than both of those guys. If you honestly think the guy is trash, you clearly don't understand football.
Bring something to the table for once.
He said Baker is trash. He did not mention the other two. You twisting his statement into a defense of the other two rather than what he actually said is a straw man. It is a dishonest and deceptive way to engage in an argument.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
He said Baker is trash. I'm saying as opposed to these 2 guys? Come on, Baker is a MUCH better QB than both of those guys. If you honestly think the guy is trash, you clearly don't understand football.
Bring something to the table for once.

Every NFL team knew Mayfield was available (and he was available because the Browns thought he was trash), and none of those teams was willing to give up more than a conditional 5th-round pick for him, nor pay him more than $5M. That suggests every other NFL front office thinks he's trash.

Would you say all those NFL front offices "clearly don't understand football"?

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Every NFL team knew Mayfield was available (and he was available because the Browns thought he was trash), and none of those teams was willing to give up more than a conditional 5th-round pick for him, nor pay him more than $5M. That suggests every other NFL front office thinks he's trash.

Would you say all those NFL front offices "clearly don't understand football"?
Most NFL teams were pretty set at QB at that point. When your QB competition is between two marginal backups you look for a veteran and bring them in.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Because he's not trash. And he's absolutely better than Geno or Lock.
My uncle is a retired psychologist. I’ve sent him some links to posts here trying to get a diagnosis on some of the activity. IF you say you don’t like Geno you get mobbed by a few posters who then, after aggressively going after you end with a “but I don’t think Geno is great“ finale in an effort to insulate themselves for when Geno stinks. It’s like if you really think Geno is not great then just leave the posters who don’t like him alone. There has to be a term for it and I don’t think it’s “gaslighting“ But it might be.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I honestly think Pete and John want to find out what they have in Geno and Lock, and specifically Lock before dumpster diving for retreads.

I know a LOT of people don't want to admit this team's in a complete rebuild, but this team's in a complete rebuild.

So you don't begin your rebuild with a one year rent-a-player like Mayfield, especially if you think one of your current QB's has the potential to solidify the job. Argue with that point, you certainly have a case. But I think that's why we didn't go after Baker. Pete honestly thinks he can win with his QB's.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And Pete's opinion is the one that matters really when it comes to the starting QB of this team. Good points ^

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
But why
I honestly think Pete and John want to find out what they have in Geno and Lock, and specifically Lock before dumpster diving for retreads.

I know a LOT of people don't want to admit this team's in a complete rebuild, but this team's in a complete rebuild.

So you don't begin your rebuild with a one year rent-a-player like Mayfield, especially if you think one of your current QB's has the potential to solidify the job. Argue with that point, you certainly have a case. But I think that's why we didn't go after Baker. Pete honestly thinks he can win with his QB's.
would Baker HAVE to be a one year rent a player? iF he came and played great he could be resigned.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
But why

would Baker HAVE to be a one year rent a player? iF he came and played great he could be resigned.

But this is why we traded Russell, Pete and John aren't interested in tying up 15-20% of the cap in a franchise QB during a rebuild. They're trying to do the build an elite defense and run game/O-line and get back to the playoffs with a young QB on his rookie deal type of scenario.

So they certainly don't want to get into a situation where they're now paying a lesser QB than Russell like Mayfield 20-30M a year on a long term deal, even if he plays decent this year.

Which means what, maybe 2-3 more wins? So we're 8-9 instead of 5-12? Still in a rebuild.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Unlike other teams, we saw our starter start every preseason game. Was he serviceable? Yeah, but we lost every one of these. It would have been worthy to put Geno in after the two Lock ints to see if he could close in that dallas game.

Remember when the Raiders lost Carr to the broken leg During playoff contention? They rapidly started losing even with all the other 1s. Same when the Niners had to go with Mullens.

I would think that at least we would prefer our future qb1 to be mentored by a veteran with a winning record, like Jimmy G.

Vesuve

Reaction score
No NFL coach intentionally loses games or 'tanks' so they can get a better draft position. For one, except for one or two coaches, none of them, and certainly not Pete, can afford to have a bad season as it could be their last. A bad season, except for those one or two coaches, always results in the natives getting restless and results in calls for their head. All owners are sensitive to their fan base and hear the calls. They do not live in a vacuum and don't like losing any more than anyone else. It's bad for business.

In bold above:

I'm not so sure with Jody.

I doubt Pete wants to tank but losing more and winning less will set us up for picking one of the 5 QBs available in the draft next year, as we know

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
In bold above:

I doubt Pete wants to tank but losing more and winning less will set us up for picking one of the 5 QBs available in the draft next year, as we know
Agree. Pete wants to win but ownership if you recall is trying to sell the team and having a top pick in the draft can make you look attractive to buyers. I still think Baker could have done really good things with the O.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Seahawks.net has become a wasteland of negativity with fringe/fair weather "fan's" hoping for losses.
From the onset through the 70's, 80's & 90's loyal Hawk fan's were steadfast for decades in our small market, underdog mode.
This along with the highest decibel level was how the 12's were born, something to be proud of.
Now a new breed of fan wants to throw games so a college kid can try to be our saviour, helluva way to circle the wagons.
Seems like there would be more posts about HOW to beat RW & the Donkeys...
That’s just the formula to modern success.

Sorry that Tom Brady and kind of Colin Kaepernick were the only vetted starting QBs to accept and negotiate rather team friendly deals that allowed their teams a chance to keep players around them.

It’s still surprising to me that people think even Russell Wilson could carry us to a Super Bowl after the last 2 years let alone Mayfield.

It’s not about losing IMO as much as it is insuring you have a strongest foundation in place for any QBoTF as well as the opportunities to obtain said QB.

With or without Wilson the roster however it ended up looking probably wasn’t good enough.

With or without Mayfield, the current roster probably isn’t good enough.

The only QB probably good enough and now it’s not the case would have been Watson. And who really wanted to take that baggage, trade package, and contract despite the talent.

Dj206

Reaction score
Why is it so unfathomable that the hawks think Geno can do the job? If he doesnt do the job what have the Hawks lost? Everybody is so convinced that Geno is going to tank nobody is even giving him a chance. And what if he is successful will you then just find another reason why he shouldnt be the QB because you dont want to be wrong? I personally think the Hawks are going to draft a qb next year and that will solve the qb issue but my Gawd, before everybody melts down lets see what Geno is going to bring. Give him 5-6 games in the regular season and see what happens

Lol it proves nothing. Pete Carroll doesnt tank games..
Thank you! It’s not in Pete’s nature to tank.

keasley45

Reaction score
To the OP.

Why can't it be that like every other team that could have snatched Mayfield up, we didn't want HIM at the position in the longterm?

Baker isn't in Carolina for a one year stint. He's there to be their franchise guy.

We wanted something else and so opted for Geno and a QB in 23 instead.

And the only reason it seems in your mind like they're rolling over is because YOU don't think Geno can do the job.

They obviously do, and nothing he's shown so far has proven them wrong.

Geno isn't our savior this year, but Mayfield wouldn't have been either.

Our time is coming. The FO is smartly improving the positions they can improve, when they can get the most talent at those positions. Qb is not a position that they can get max value at this year, no matter who you bring in. So pass.

RiverDog

Reaction score
In bold above:

In bold above:

It depends on how bad it gets. If we really flop, say we go 3-14, then there's going to be a lot of highly upset and vocal 12's that will be calling for Pete's head. Sales will decline. Free agents won't want to sign with us. There will be pressure from her advisors to cut bait.

We're not the Lions or Jets. We have a very large fan base that has been supremely spoiled over the past 20 years and is used to seeing our team play in January. Jody seems to be the type that follows the path of least resistance, and she'd be swimming upstream if she insisted on keeping Pete under those circumstances.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Most NFL teams were pretty set at QB at that point. When your QB competition is between two marginal backups you look for a veteran and bring them in.
I'm not so sure about that. Let's see, we have the Hawks, Panthers, Falcons, Commanders, Saints, Texans, Titans, and Colts that all were in the market when it became known that Mayfield was available. That's a full 25% of the league.