Not acquiring Mayfield proves Hawk mgmt wants to tank...

W

Welshers

Why are so many missing the point. The players don’t tank a season. Management by not putting in or acquiring the best players they can easily afford tank a season. Once and for all, MANAGEMENT IS TANKING THE SEASON NOT THE PLAYERS.
My thoughts exactly. The players and coaches will try to win with the guys on the field. Management is very aware of WHO they are putting out there. If they weren't actually tanking then they would have tried to get a qb

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Wait...we could have had Baker Mayfield??? Is it too late? Can we still get him?

I thought we had Jimmy G back in the day...why do we want him again? He can't block.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
All these quarterbacks suck. Jimmy G, Baker, Lock, Geno. The obsession over them is really unfounded. Rather wait to pick someone up with real potential

KinesProf

Reaction score
Why are so many missing the point. The players don’t tank a season. Management by not putting in or acquiring the best players they can easily afford tank a season. Once and for all, MANAGEMENT IS TANKING THE SEASON NOT THE PLAYERS.
Imagine thinking that an NFL football team is purposefully tanking football games because they don't have *checks notes* ... Baker Mayfield (lol) at Quarterback.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Keeping it simple:

To acquire Mayfield all the Panthers gave up was:

Conditional 5th round pick
$5 million

He’d be on a 1 year prove it deal and he’s 1000% better than Geno Smith.

We could have had him for virtually nothing. Management is tanking this year, no questions asked.
No it isn't. This post is evidence that you think little more than hive mind mentality. Try being original.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
This place used to have nickname which was homers.net, now it is negativity.net.

It’s always unfortunately usually the same posters who have this anti-Pete agenda fueled by ageism and their unquestioning belief that there is nothing Pete can do to right the team despite having done it before. Almost every thread now is partially derailed by their negativity or an AP sidetrack. Sadly no alternative for the HC is

Lately many old time reliable posters have pushed back or flipped out b/c of the negativity, but several are simply avoiding the place as the negativity is palpable to me it seems the numbers are down.

We Seahawks fans have had bad seasons before and have kept the faith, many here want to see the team lose which always mystifies me b/c losing sucks.

Despite this the team has gotten younger is developing a solid group of Young OLinemen and there are several very interesting high potential pass rushers to add to the solid young DB groups. I agree that the QB situation is seriously suboptimal but the rest of this young team looks to be better at many positions.

There is lots to be excited about even if he team has a weak QB.

We need to fans of our team rather than hoping they’ll tank to get a solid young QB in the next year’s draft.

It’s far to early to be writing off the season.
I blame the over abundance of cracker jack analysts the internet has spawned. They're pretty good at sounding like they know what they're talking about, but they don't. They hit all of the key buzzwords combined a lot of absolutes. 90% of sports fans are idiots. They latch on to which ever one of the charlatan analysts that speaks to their fragile emotional state after watching their favorite team lose a game. They bring it right back to their preferred forum and start regurgitating all the hit points as their own keen analysis.

Once they get ahold of a narrative that confirms or justifies their emotions, they hold on til the death. There's no amount of proof that will move them off that spot. Just look how many people still bitch about run, run, pass, punt even though we haven't been that team for years

Vesuve

Reaction score
OP,
Mayfield would have messed the team up for the worse.

An extra couple of mediocre wins...perhaps.

This year is ALL about NEXtT year's draft.

RiverDog

Reaction score
No NFL coach intentionally loses games or 'tanks' so they can get a better draft position. For one, except for one or two coaches, none of them, and certainly not Pete, can afford to have a bad season as it could be their last. A bad season, except for those one or two coaches, always results in the natives getting restless and results in calls for their head. All owners are sensitive to their fan base and hear the calls. They do not live in a vacuum and don't like losing any more than anyone else. It's bad for business.

Secondly, don't think that coaches don't know what their overall W/L record is, and that they want to maximize it. They are as ego driven as the players they coach. They don't want to be associated with losing efforts.

And lastly, there are no guarantees that a slightly higher draft position will result in a better team in the long run. How many times did the Browns get great draft positions, and what did it do for them? The draft is a crap shoot anyway and improving a draft slotting by 3 or 4 spots isn't a significant enough increase in the odds to justify the risk of losing your job by posting a horrible W/L record.

Last edited:

sc85sis

Reaction score
yeah the difference is those guys were good so it was easier to overlook their transgressions. I'm sorry I will pull for Geno to win but he sucks. He will be the worst starter in the league.
And this is why the NFL has a bad rep right now.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
The players would know immediately if management were "tanking". The players know what is going on. You would hear about it from the players. You have not heard anything so there is no "tanking".

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
They want Jimmy G, not Baker M.
I dont see it. I think geno and Lock are stop gaps for next years draft.
I like Pete! I'm one of his most ardent defenders! But I'm convinced they are tanking this year. Hopefully they prove me wrong and go on some miraculous run.
Well dont br convinced because it hasnt happened yet.. there are a lot of good things happening with this team. Dont let the negativity and ignorance influence you. This is going to be a competitive team again and you have a front row seat! Enjoy it!

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
as opposed to Geno Smith and Drew Lock..............got it :rolleyes:
Did I miss something here? Did NY say something in his post about Geno or Lock being...anything? Did he mention them at all?

I posted a description of the straw man fallacy along with a link to several other logical fallacies that contribute to dishonest/deceptive/disingenuous discourse or discussion (who doesn't love alliteration?). I suggest following the link. It's a good read.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He said Baker is trash. I'm saying as opposed to these 2 guys? Come on, Baker is a MUCH better QB than both of those guys. If you honestly think the guy is trash, you clearly don't understand football.
Bring something to the table for once.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
as opposed to Geno Smith and Drew Lock..............got it :rolleyes:
Baker is not a fit.Say we won 9 games with a great running game
He's going to want his $40 million plus overpay just because he's
a starter..We will have a low 1st which will be in his favor and we
get stuck with him like with Russ..Hoping to get a wildcard spot
with holes all over.
We need a good rookie with 5 yrs before having to pay up..So then
you have 2-4 yrs more before having to rebuild.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
But he's not TRASH. That's just a plain odd take on the guy. This team would be better with him imo. They had their chance to get him, and they didn't. It happens.

Last edited: