Not acquiring Mayfield proves Hawk mgmt wants to tank...

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Baker was available, but he was very overpriced
Price was:
Conditional 5th rounder
$5 mil
That’s a bargain. So many people on this board think there is no way Baker would have been successful here. Last year he played the year out with a terrible injury. The year before he took the BROWNS to 11-5. I think he had a decent chance if succeeding in Seattle and the fans would have loved his attitude to want to win. The O IMO would have lit up with this guy.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, team would have been better with him. Only point I've been trying to make. And with these offensive weapons? He absolutely would have had a good year under center.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
This place is going to come completely unglued when we start Geno...

in 2023...

as part of our 2-year rebuild strategy.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I would say this was pretty obvious from the beginning, the team has 2 first round picks next draft and no franchise QB, what else would they be planning to do?
Then why sign high priced aging vets for multiple spots? In some ways it seems obvious and in other ways it doesn't. They had young cheap guys they could've played and instead spent money on veterans. If you're tanking save the money and see what your young guys can do. I'm worried Pete thinks his system is good enough that he can win with Geno/Lock. I hope that's not what he's thinking.

Rat

Reaction score
If we're really tanking, I don't get re-signing Diggs and Woods, bringing back Jefferson, and insisting on Shelby Harris in the Russ trade; a defensive leader in Denver and you'd think they would want to keep him since they're clearly in win now mode. On top of that, we could have gotten future assets for trading guys like Lockett and Gabe Jackson.

I have no clue what's going on. This is such an odd situation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
If we're really tanking, I don't get re-signing Diggs and Woods, bringing back Jefferson, and insisting on Shelby Harris in the Russ trade; a defensive leader in Denver and you'd think they would want to keep him since they're clearly in win now mode. On top of that, we could have gotten future assets for trading guys like Lockett and Gabe Jackson.

You still want to retain your top talent for future seasons. Without a great or even good qb you ain’t going anywhere in this league. The tank is for this year.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
On top of that, we could have gotten future assets for trading guys like Lockett and Gabe Jackson.

Lockett is one of the Seahawks' three best players and he's on a reasonably priced contract. That's the kind of player a team should keep as part of its journey back to contender status.

Who would want to trade for Gabe Jackson at this point? I don't think even the Bucs, a contender with major interior-line issues greatly exacerbated by injuries, would be interested in him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They are not tanking. No matter how much people want to convince themselves. Pete would never coach to tank, ever.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's pretty obvious that some fans on here confuse tanking for rebuilding.

Pete and John obviously have a plan, and that plan is to build through the draft again, and the fastest way to do that was to trade Russell.
and take their lumps for a year or two until they can find their next franchise QB through the draft or using their draft capital to trade for a top starter.

Do you honestly think the next franchise QB is Baker Mayfield? Yes he means maybe another win or two this season, then he's gone. Then what? All you did was give yourself a worse draft position and you still don't know if Geno or Drew can play QB.

SeaChase

Reaction score
Price was:
Conditional 5th rounder
$5 mil
That’s a bargain. So many people on this board think there is no way Baker would have been successful here. Last year he played the year out with a terrible injury. The year before he took the BROWNS to 11-5. I think he had a decent chance if succeeding in Seattle and the fans would have loved his attitude to want to win. The O IMO would have lit up with this guy.
Baker for a 5th rounder is a bargain

BASF

Reaction score
The year before he took the BROWNS to 11-5.
You keep bringing this up and I am curious, are you aware that that roster was absolutely stacked with talent (we are not) and a running team. Mayfield had the least pass attempts of anyone who started 16 games. Not exactly someone the coaching staff was trusting to win them games. That season that you keep bringing up, he had two good pass plays in the lone playoff win and they were a screen pass and slant that went 17 yards in the air. Both of the receivers ran twenty-five plus yards for the scores. Mayfield is overrated. He was not wanted by his own players. When the OBJ situation happened, how many of their teammates came to Mayfield's defense?

Last edited:

flv2

Reaction score

It is an odd situation. Management spent significant resources on short-term moves at RB, TE, DB, and C but chose not to spend resources at QB. It's a resource utilisation competition. Being competitive, (even if they don't win many games), will indicate whether or not they've made wise decisions.

I don't think Jackson was tradable.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Value. We just achieved more team talent value trading Russ than had we kept him. Acquiring Baker would have been the opposite approach, especially if we get our guy in the upcoming draft.
I can not complain about how the FO has handled this situation. They have set us up with a relatively low cost foundation that will keep getting better as the years go by while increasing our cap space. Hard to do better than that.

BASF

Reaction score

Do you believe that Thomas and Chancellor become Pro Bowlers without Milloy mentoring them? This is the most obvious example, but Carroll has always wanted some wily vets around who were willing to show the young guys what it takes to be a professional. I can't think of a better safety than Diggs for that. You said yourself that Harris was a team leader for the Broncos. Woods has always been a solid professional impact player.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It's pretty obvious that some fans on here confuse tanking for rebuilding.

So maybe we'd better get the terminology down. IMO "tanking" means intentionally losing games, or at least not making every effort to win them, in order to enhance draft positioning.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Firstly, I think all 32 teams go into the season wanting to win games.

Now do teams get halfway through the season and realize it ain't happening? Sure, that happens in every sport.

But sorry, no I don't think Pete and John are willfully tanking this season to get high picks. They're not idiots, they know there's less than a 20% hit rate on 1st round QB's.

They see this as a 2-3 year rebuild, not a one year desperation year where they have to take on a polarizing erratic on and off the field QB like Baker, who they know even if he plays halfway decent probably only means 1-2 more wins than Geno.

Hell, they might not even think that.

CPHawk

Reaction score

Denver is in finish 4th in their own conference mode. Not win now.

Latest posts