No more MVP for Russ.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Russell Wilson has just as many interceptions as he does touchdowns in the last four weeks and only four touchdowns over that duration. He has not been performing well as of late. I'm seeing a lot more balls not placed well, and questionable decision making. What is up with him? Is it the offensive play calling? I do know we've shifted more towards the Peteball style over the last few weeks. Last night he also seemed to be trying to force the ball to Lockett. Either way Russ is off his game right now.

Offensive playcalling was horrid last night, vintage Pete. I really hope we shift away from this style and quickly.

Seymour

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3kvpcpyt said:
Russell Wilson has just as many interceptions as he does touchdowns in the last four weeks and only four touchdowns over that duration. He has not been performing well as of late. I'm seeing a lot more balls not placed well, and questionable decision making. What is up with him? Is it the offensive play calling? I do know we've shifted more towards the Peteball style over the last few weeks. Last night he also seemed to be trying to force the ball to Lockett. Either way Russ is off his game right now.

Offensive playcalling was horrid last night, vintage Pete. I really hope we shift away from this style and quickly.

Ohh we will!!

As soon as Pete moves on we will at least.

Until then, I would not bet on it with 1000 to 1 odds.

:snack:

Even if Wilson kept his pace he would have lost the MVP anyway.

Too short, over paid, & can't beat zone coverage!! :lol:

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Seymour":phlzpacj said:
Spin Doctor":phlzpacj said:

Ohh we will!!

we switched away from it for most of the season, but we've gone back to it the last few games.

Seymour

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":24zpkdeg said:
Seymour":24zpkdeg said:
Spin Doctor":24zpkdeg said:

Ohh we will!!

we switched away from it for most of the season, but we've gone back to it the last few games.

Very debatable and I'll disagree. One of the main differences was Wilson did not threaten and run himself enough. That closes the defense in inside the box and Wilson was missing middle of the field open receivers and taking sacks instead.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If we're being honest, Russ was out of the MVP race about 2-3 weeks ago.

He's played well, but not at the same level he was earlier in the year when he was the favorite. Part of it is our run game coming on taking away the necessity of Russ needing to play lights out for us to win..........and part of it is he just seems dinged up and not as sharp as he's been all year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, it has been obvious for a few weeks and that's ok. Maybe we'll stop hearing about it. I'd rather they just keep winning games and get gets a SuperbOwl MVP. Not saying this team is going to the Super Bowl, but they are capable.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
His ball placement is fine. He's been uncomfortable in the pocket since Britt has been injured. I guess constructive criticism is fine, but you would think Russ has built up enough good will over the years to not have people piling on. Rodgers had an even worse performance against the Niners.

These kinds of games happen to literally every QB, and teams struggle on offense at times. Again, it happens. Russ' performance to start the season was actually other worldly, he deserved even more praise at that point than he was already getting.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1clo9zw5 said:
His ball placement is fine. He's been uncomfortable in the pocket since Britt has been injured. I guess constructive criticism is fine, but you would think Russ has built up enough good will over the years to not have people piling on. Rodgers had an even worse performance against the Niners.

These kinds of games happen to literally every QB, and teams struggle on offense at times. Again, it happens. Russ' performance to start the season was actually other worldly, he deserved even more praise at that point than he was already getting.
I don't think it has been fine. He's been off. Lots of low balls coming from Russ I've noticed. He just hasn't been playing that well. 4 TDs and 4 INTs over a duration of four games is not very good. I'm just wondering what the hell is going on. It's not just Britt either, even when he has time he has been looking off and reverting to old bad habits. Another concern for me is how he flat out didn't see all of those receivers running wide open over the middle. The announcers were mentioning it a lot during the game. DK Metcalf in particular was open quite a bit, but Russ just didn't see.

He is not playing good ball right now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2ocorc1d said:

Who's piling on?

I'm not even criticizing Russ, and neither are others. Just noticing that he hasn't been playing at the same MVP level as he was earlier in the season.

This is football, so lots of reasons for that, some Russell's fault (overthrowing easy TD passes), and some not (poor pass pro & drops).

Believe me, it's not lost on me or anyone else that watches this team to understand that Russell wasn't the problem last night, nor the problem 90% of the time when we lose.

kmeleon

Reaction score
Quite frankly I'm tired of the MVP talk. It was nice to talk about for awhile but in the big picture who really cares? I only care about the Lombardi trophy at the end of the year. Not being a Debbie downer, just don't care anymore.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
kmeleon":2xo0hsjq said:
Quite frankly I'm tired of the MVP talk. It was nice to talk about for awhile but in the big picture who really cares? I only care about the Lombardi trophy at the end of the year. Not being a Debbie downer, just don't care anymore.
We're not walking away with that either this year. No way in hell.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Def. not on his top A game, but they still won 5 straight before the crap show last night. There have been some drops as well. But, his tear that he was on has dropped down a little. I suspect it's bothering him a lot more than any of us. I like our chances down the stretch here. The pass blocking last night was horrific too. Most games he seems next level locked in and you know it. Last night, not as much, like the rest of the team. Though that 4th down throw in the 4th quarter was nails and had some serious zip on it. He looked pretty pissed most of the night too. The game in general had a strange feeling to it. They just were off all night and looked very tired as a team. Just my opinion.
I can't agree that there is no way in hell they win it all. They have plenty of ability to get it done. I don't think they do, but no chance? Nah, get in the dance and anything can happen.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1tkpm39p said:
Def. not on his top A game, but they still won 5 straight before the crap show last night. There have been some drops as well. But, his tear that he was on has dropped down a little. I suspect it's bothering him a lot more than any of us. I like our chances down the stretch here. The pass blocking last night was horrific too. Most games he seems next level locked in and you know it. Last night, not as much, like the rest of the team. Though that 4th down throw in the 4th quarter was nails and had some serious zip on it. He looked pretty pissed most of the night too. The game in general had a strange feeling to it. They just were off, all night and looked very tired as a team. Just my opinion.
This performance out of Russell is not just a last night trend. It's something that has been going on since the Buccaneer game. He has not been playing bad, but he hasn't been playing good either. Last game his only objectively terrible game in awhile. We've been winning but Russ has not looked as sharp as he normally does. Reminds me of how he fell off in 2017 towards the end of the year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. I'm of the opinion that he will play better down the stretch. He's done it so many times, until I see different, I'm not going to assume the worst and/or think he's just gonna' drop off.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
He hasn't looked great recently, then again LJ is also having some lackluster outings. Wilson still has an outside chance, and I believe it will all come down to week 17. Wilson, at home, in primetime, against his biggest rival for Division, Conference, and MVP.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1xha294d said:
He hasn't looked great recently, then again LJ is also having some lackluster outings. Wilson still has an outside chance, and I believe it will all come down to week 17. Wilson, at home, in primetime, against his biggest rival for Division, Conference, and MVP.
LJ has significantly more TDs than Wilson, more overall yardage and only one more interception, similar completion percentage. It is LJ's award to lose at this point.

xray

Reaction score
Wilson has been the MVP for the Hawks for 8 seasons ; but it's also a popularity contest ; and Wilson isn't popular around the league . He will probably never win it . As far as his play goes he is not as " money " as he used to be . Maybe he can't take 40 or 50 sacks anymore . It all must take a toll . Who knows ?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If we go into the playoffs, win one outside of a wildcard game, and then lose in a hard-fought game that comes down to some great plays by the other team in the 4th quarter? I don't think anyone could call the season anything but a success. Certainly few would have much reason to complain about anything.

If Wilson gets hot, then we always have that chance. The MVP doesn't matter to me. But having a great playoff run, even if we fall short, would be amazing.

And that is still on the table right now, whereas the MVP opportunity pretty much vanished a few weeks ago.

knownone

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2sr4af82 said:
SoulfishHawk":2sr4af82 said:
Def. not on his top A game, but they still won 5 straight before the crap show last night. There have been some drops as well. But, his tear that he was on has dropped down a little. I suspect it's bothering him a lot more than any of us. I like our chances down the stretch here. The pass blocking last night was horrific too. Most games he seems next level locked in and you know it. Last night, not as much, like the rest of the team. Though that 4th down throw in the 4th quarter was nails and had some serious zip on it. He looked pretty pissed most of the night too. The game in general had a strange feeling to it. They just were off, all night and looked very tired as a team. Just my opinion.
This performance out of Russell is not just a last night trend. It's something that has been going on since the Buccaneer game. He has not been playing bad, but he hasn't been playing good either. Last game his only objectively terrible game in awhile. We've been winning but Russ has not looked as sharp as he normally does. Reminds me of how he fell off in 2017 towards the end of the year.
Teams are taking away our deep passing game and daring Russ to beat them underneath. Unfortunately, when you remove those explosive pass plays, Russ hasn’t played anywhere near his MVP level. So either the receivers and Russ need to start exploiting the coverages underneath on a regular basis, or we’ll stay in this weird purgatory where we need the defense to keep us in games because the offense isn’t capable of consistently marching down the field while playing from behind.