NFL insiders believe Jadeveon Clowney will sign with Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
That's a surprise, for a 2nd rd. pick and he agrees to salary cut to $13.5 mil/yr. It's a 1 yr. deal.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Erebus":2bh6gv7n said:
rcaido":2bh6gv7n said:
I dont see how the Ravens can afford him...

It's the Titans, Seahawks, or Browns.

Ravens have about $1 million more in cap space than we do. Not sure how the Ravens can't afford him but we can.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :irishdrinkers:

hawks85

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2yn0w4uf said:
In a move that is something of a surprise the Vikes appear to have acquired Yannick from the Jags. Not sure how that will effect Clowney's situation, but it further narrows his opportunity of choice.
It impacts Clowney value big time. It means Clowney isn't making anything close to 17 whether he likes it or not. Yannick is superior to Clowney and younger. Clowney will be making 7-10 or he can sit his ass out until next year. No NFL team is going to pay that guy anywhere near 17 a year after that Yannick deal.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Teahawks":35e9njq6 said:
No NFL former or current professional will ever tell you Clowney is a below average player. Or even an average player.

When he sets his mind to it, Clowney can play like a pro bowler. But all too often, he disappears. If a team pays Clowney the type of $$$$ he's asking for, they expect big effort on every play. He just doesn't do that. He'll end up somewhere, talent like that will always have a home. And he'll have some great games. But he'll always leave you with the feeling of "what if he did that on every down."

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Did someone really say that Clowney was a well below average player? Sweet Jesus, this season can't start soon enough. He's only one of the best players in the league.

hawks85

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2edzr0st said:
Did someone really say that Clowney was a well below average player? Sweet Jesus, this season can't start soon enough. He's only one of the best players in the league.
Yup, that would be me, and I don't care what anyone says. One of the best players in the league? Really, your joking right. Yeah he's the best player at skipping training camp and bitching and moaning because he's not getting 17 mil a year. Clowney is so overrated. Mark my words on this and remember this. IF AND I MEAN IF Clowney has a good season like 15 sacks and causing havoc etc this dude is gonna be asking for 25-30 mil next, I guarantee it.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
SoulfishHawk you know I love ya brother and we almost always agree but regarding Clowney we part ways. A player who only shows true disruption a couple games a year and then disappears for the rest of the season is not someone I consider one of the best players in the league. Does he have the potential to be? Absolutely. Trouble is so far, he hasn't shown the consistency to play at an elite level on a regular basis like the greats do. That's my problem with him. He wants the giant payday without the stats to back it up.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
hawks85":1gz059rj said:
“Clowney, right now, the belief is he’s just going to sit out of training camp because he doesn’t like training camp. He had an issue with training camp when he was with Houston. He’s going to wait until the end of training camp unless someone blows him away with a huge contract.”

This right here is the reason I cant stand Clowney, and the reason why he is garbage. Ive said it a thousand times Clowney is bag chasing. A lot of people don't realize Clowney hasn't been to training camp in 3 years. Good I hope the ravens sign him.

LOL, you know who missed training camp like 4 years in a row? Ring of honor, hall of fame, one of the top 3 left tackles in nfl history and a fan favorite, Walter Jones.

That's not a reason to not like a guy.

hawks85

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3l5kvdu7 said:
hawks85":3l5kvdu7 said:
“Clowney, right now, the belief is he’s just going to sit out of training camp because he doesn’t like training camp. He had an issue with training camp when he was with Houston. He’s going to wait until the end of training camp unless someone blows him away with a huge contract.”

This right here is the reason I cant stand Clowney, and the reason why he is garbage. Ive said it a thousand times Clowney is bag chasing. A lot of people don't realize Clowney hasn't been to training camp in 3 years. Good I hope the ravens sign him.

LOL, you know who missed training camp like 4 years in a row? Ring of honor, hall of fame, one of the top 3 left tackles in nfl history and a fan favorite, Walter Jones.

That's not a reason to not like a guy.
The huge difference is Walter Jones was a beast, and Clowney is far far far from it. Training camp is where you get better and make your body stronger, and getting ready for the season. Clowney thinks he is so good that training camp isn't a necessity, but is stats are sub par at best, but he wants a trillion dollars a year, and yet he's not willing to put in the work for it. Clowney has a extremely lazy work ethic. No one likes training camp, but they go because they have to. Clowney is purposely skipping training camp because he doesn't like it, well boo f'ing woo, and wants a ton of money. The dude is living off is 1st round draft status.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough, I think they part ways too. But I still think he's one of the better players in the league when healthy and on the field. And the training camp thing? Ever hear of Walter Jones? Missed camp 3 years ago.

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1i8xbocs said:
Fair enough, I think they part ways too. But I still think he's one of the better players in the league when healthy and on the field.

Well part was playing for a contract and he was not going to push things wanting to be healthy which didn't work out and added more questions, throw in Covid and it's a crap shoot now with the Injury thing over his head and not budging on demands.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As much as I wanted him back here, I'm souring on like many. He blew a chance at a nice one year deal from the Hawks and probably someone else. But IF he really thinks it's 15 mil or bust this year? Next

rcaido

Reaction score
I watched all season Clowney was disruptive in majority of the games, minus his injury...

Countless times you see him being held by the o-line...His teammates were also no shows pretty much all year.

Not sure where you guys getting only showing up a couple games.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
rcaido":2r178jfn said:
I watched all season Clowney was disruptive in majority of the games, minus his injury...

Countless times you see him being held by the o-line...His teammates were also no shows pretty much all year.

Not sure where you guys getting only showing up a couple games.

Yes it's true. If you really study the film he doesn't lack for effort. By "Showing Up" I mean the away game against the 49ers. Holy crap he was a human wrecking ball the entire game! Where was that effort in the other games? Yes, yes, I get if you study the film he will show effort and things that opens up things for other players...There is true value in that but we are talking about a player who wants Elite money...The type of money the top defensive players demand and have earned. Has Clowney really earned elite money? I flat out say no. He's a good player, COULD be a great player but he simply doesn't display greatness every game like the greats do. Not sure why it's even an arguement, it's simply a fact.

If Clowney was as disruptive as he was in that 49er game every game? Hell, even half the games? Go ahead and plop a check down in front of him that he can fill out whatever number he thinks he's worth.

Rat

Reaction score
Clowney is damn good, and I don't agree with those who think he only plays when he wants. I find it admirable that the guy has become an elite run-stopper despite sacks being the moneymaker for DEs. You don't do that if you only care about the money. It's a little weird how many "almost sacks" he gets, but he's not lazy.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Aros":1bi7os1s said:
hawks85":1bi7os1s said:
The dude is living off is 1st round draft status.

Yep. That's how I see it.

That overall #1 status got into his head and made a home there. No question he has talent. The difference between potential and productivity often comes down to desire. I think his mindset is also why a better team can lose to a worse team. They think because they are better that they don’t have to play better. I remember some of Clowneys predraft hype. “Can’t miss, all world, unbelievable skill set,” etc. with his predraft hype, I remember expecting to see him rack up 12-15 sacks/year consistently. He has a total of 32 sacks in his career. That equates to 5.3/year. Injuries have played a huge part of his lack of eye popping stats. He has played in a possible 75/96 games in his NFL career. I was surprised he has only missed 21 games based on his injury history.
I would like him to return if for no other reason than they need bodies along the dline. Maybe his lack of interest on the open market at his preconceived value will create a bit of humility in him that will allow him to play to his potential. I really hate that I just typed that last sentence. As a teacher I often have students that don’t work to their potential. It drives me crazy and most of the time they don’t overcome that liability in themselves.

rcaido

Reaction score
He was a far more disruptive player then Clark...Stats dont show it but you can clearly see the difference. My only concern is injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.