NFL insiders believe Jadeveon Clowney will sign with Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.

massari

Reaction score
Have well known insiders been speculating like this all along abut Clowney? Haven't been paying attention with it for a while.

Another one of the Bengals' AFC North rivals is considered the favorite to sign Clowney according to Tony Pauline of Pro Football Network.

“A lot of people in the league believe that in end, he’s going to end up with the Baltimore Ravens,” Pauline said on the NFL Draft Insiders podcast. “The Ravens need an upgrade with their pass rush. The belief from league insiders is don’t be surprised if he ends up with the Baltimore Ravens.

“Clowney, right now, the belief is he’s just going to sit out of training camp because he doesn’t like training camp. He had an issue with training camp when he was with Houston. He’s going to wait until the end of training camp unless someone blows him away with a huge contract.”

The Ravens have nearly $17 million in cap space after releasing safety Earl Thomas on Sunday.
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/nfl ... ith-ravens

Still can't imagine they go into the season with Green/Collier as Clowney's replacement, with a 29 year old career backup on the other side, and some rookies. All that unproven talent.

Everson Griffen would've been the Clowney replacement at 5 tech and has the same cap hit as Finney and Ogbuehi. That would be interesting if they do indeed lose Clowney.

hawks85

Reaction score
“Clowney, right now, the belief is he’s just going to sit out of training camp because he doesn’t like training camp. He had an issue with training camp when he was with Houston. He’s going to wait until the end of training camp unless someone blows him away with a huge contract.”

This right here is the reason I cant stand Clowney, and the reason why he is garbage. Ive said it a thousand times Clowney is bag chasing. A lot of people don't realize Clowney hasn't been to training camp in 3 years. Good I hope the ravens sign him.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good for him. Personally I don't think he's worth the time or effort. He is a Hall of Fame player for 1 or 2 games a season. The other 15 or 16 games? He's just a JAG who can't stay healthy and thinks his worth is much more than it is.

rcaido

Reaction score
I dont see how the Ravens can afford him...

It's the Titans, Seahawks, or Browns.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I get really frustrated with the way the business side of football interferes with the game. But to call Clowney "garbage" requires a level of blindness to the realities of the game that is ridiculously inept. Clowney's skill level is such "garbage" that opposing teams prioritize game planning just for dealing with him. That's one reason why his numbers are suppressed. Last year he routinely faced double, and even triple, team attention on a majority of snaps he was on the field. In spite of all that attention, in addition to playing through a CORE injury, he managed to post high pressure stats and provide solid run support, and figured prominently in a number of turnovers. Our problem was we didn't have the personnel to take advantage of that. It would seem that now we do, so if he came back our additions would stand to have a lot of opportunities to accumulate the glory that comes with completing a play. Or, if our additions draw attention away from Clowney he has the ability to make our opponents pay in a big way.

The Ravens, sans a pricey safety, figure as a team that Clowney could see as an attractive spot to land. Geographically closer to his roots, a strong candidate as playoff contender, great supporting cast, and some newly created cap room. Dallas would seem to be at the limits of what they can do in cap terms. Cleveland could swing it, but they already offered and he turned it down, just as he has other offers from what figure to be non-playoff contenders, which includes the Raiders.

Players get one shot to make a career that is, on average a few years , count. I get that. But sometimes I think players don't see the entire picture in terms of what that "one shot" includes or doesn't include. Agents are focused on making as much money as they can as fast as they can. That's their game, but their game interferes with our game.

Erebus

Reaction score
rcaido":2a0g6hgo said:

Ravens have about $1 million more in cap space than we do. Not sure how the Ravens can't afford him but we can.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Erebus":b4uyjevk said:
rcaido":b4uyjevk said:

Ravens have about $1 million more in cap space than we do. Not sure how the Ravens can't afford him but we can.

Hawks can make a few moves to open up more cap space pretty easily.

kf3339

Reaction score
Aros":6ag0rsfm said:
Good for him. Personally I don't think he's worth the time or effort. He is a Hall of Fame player for 1 or 2 games a season. The other 15 or 16 games? He's just a JAG who can't stay healthy and thinks his worth is much more than it is.

Agreed. He isn't worth the effort. Personally, I think it was a serious mistake for the FO to wait so long hoping he would sign back with us. Hopefully, Irvin and Mayowa will be very pleasant additions and our rookie DE's will come on as the season progresses. Still could use a veteran DT to fix that very weak spot.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I'm still holding out hope he signs with us. He is so much netter than anybody we currently have thats its hard not to want him back.

hawks85

Reaction score
Appyhawk":usr8gpc5 said:
I get really frustrated with the way the business side of football interferes with the game. But to call Clowney "garbage" requires a level of blindness to the realities of the game that is ridiculously inept. Clowney's skill level is such "garbage" that opposing teams prioritize game planning just for dealing with him. That's one reason why his numbers are suppressed. Last year he routinely faced double, and even triple, team attention on a majority of snaps he was on the field. In spite of all that attention, in addition to playing through a CORE injury, he managed to post high pressure stats and provide solid run support, and figured prominently in a number of turnovers. Our problem was we didn't have the personnel to take advantage of that. It would seem that now we do, so if he came back our additions would stand to have a lot of opportunities to accumulate the glory that comes with completing a play. Or, if our additions draw attention away from Clowney he has the ability to make our opponents pay in a big way.

The Ravens, sans a pricey safety, figure as a team that Clowney could see as an attractive spot to land. Geographically closer to his roots, a strong candidate as playoff contender, great supporting cast, and some newly created cap room. Dallas would seem to be at the limits of what they can do in cap terms. Cleveland could swing it, but they already offered and he turned it down, just as he has other offers from what figure to be non-playoff contenders, which includes the Raiders.

Players get one shot to make a career that is, on average a few years , count. I get that. But sometimes I think players don't see the entire picture in terms of what that "one shot" includes or doesn't include. Agents are focused on making as much money as they can as fast as they can. That's their game, but their game interferes with our game.

Don't use that double, triple coverage BS. Dante Fowler, Joey Bosa, Cameron Jordon just to name a few went through the same exact thing and they had double digit sacks last year. The fact is Clowney is a well below average player, I'll use that instead of garbage. Clowney has a lazy work ethic and is bag chasing. Clowney will never ever be a 20 mil per year DE, and why, because he is not good. That dude is asking for 17-20mil right now. IF AND I MEAN IF Clowney has a good season next year the dude will be asking for Russell Wilson money.

Teahawks

Reaction score
No NFL former or current professional will ever tell you Clowney is a below average player. Or even an average player.

rcaido

Reaction score
Teahawks":2pxisunj said:
No NFL former or current professional will ever tell you Clowney is a below average player. Or even an average player.

Apparently once they are no longer a Seahawk they are complete garbage...Sherman/Bennett/Earl/Clark...I guess now Clowney...I think they do that to lessen the blow that we just lost another great player.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
hawks85":3689u7eo said:
The fact is Clowney is a well below average player, I'll use that instead of garbage. .

:34853_doh:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3i21cg67 said:
Slow news day, speculate stuff.

Totally right on.

For me I don't care, he knows the team won't pay him what he wants. Neither will the Ravens so he will sign with whoever he wants to sign and it will be short deal for much less than he wishes and perhaps less than what the Hawks offered him b/c he has legit health issues with his knees. He's an exceptional player but isn't consistent. He plays like a HOF level DE for 3-4 games per season and then is hurt and disappears. I like what he can bring at DE but that isn't worth 20+ million per season.

I'd love to see him re-sign here but doubt it will happen.

hawks85

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2hwn5d3y said:
chris98251":2hwn5d3y said:
Slow news day, speculate stuff.

Totally right on.

For me I don't care, he knows the team won't pay him what he wants. Neither will the Ravens so he will sign with whoever he wants to sign and it will be short deal for much less than he wishes and perhaps less than what the Hawks offered him b/c he has legit health issues with his knees. He's an exceptional player but isn't consistent. He plays like a HOF level DE for 3-4 games per season and then is hurt and disappears. I like what he can bring at DE but that isn't worth 20+ million per season.

I'd love to see him re-sign here but doubt it will happen.
It's not gonna happen because Clowney wants to go back to 3-4 defense to stack is so called stats, so next year he can ask for 30mil per year.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I believe his salary expectations exceed his value.

His true max value is more in the mid to high teens, his injury history takes him out of the top tier, b/c his knees are not good. When he is ‘on’ he can take over a game in a rare fashion. While he doesn’t get the pure sack totals he is a force that has to be game planned or he will dominate. His side of the field and wreck an offence. His game against SF in SF last season displayed his dominance. It is pure rubbish to he’s below average but he has had health problems and is unable to maintain that high level of play throughout a season. Problem for him is you only see that dominance several times per season as he can be schemed by good DCs, he’s good and still needs to watched but can be diminished.

This situation has been going on on for a few seasons too. Houston traded his talent b/c they knew of that inconsistency and the Mack deal which hasn’t paid the Bears back with equivalence to cost has become a mental benchmark to Clowney, they are different players, and Clowney doesn’t accept it. He just won’t ever achieve that financial goal b/c his health issue costs him playing time each season and takes away from his value and true effectiveness.

I love the player and think he’s great player who’d I’d want on my team but it is a mistake for any FO to overpay for any player and his expectations exceed what the team will pay. If the team truly wanted to pay him they could juggle bonus money and massage the cap to do so, but that is borrowing against the future and usually results in disappointment. It’s a tough situation but Clowney has been paid already and likely will stubbornly not play until he gets what he wants and that goal to me is not going to happen.

In the end he will likely do another 1 year deal and with a diminishing cap fornext season will be back in the same position next season where he just won’t get paid what he asks. I think Seattle could still re-sign him but don’t think he will get a big long term deal here.

I said my bit above and now don’t care, he's become a distraction that would be a nice addition at the right price.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Erebus":h7qouagr said:
rcaido":h7qouagr said:

At the moment they do. But not if Earl Thomas wins his appeal, and they have to pay him.

Status
Not open for further replies.