.Net temperature on Jamal Adams?

After two season's, how do you feel about the acquisition of Jamal Adams?

• Hate it. What a waste of draft capital for a box safety who disappeared after he got paid.

• Love it. He's a generational talent. A relentless machine who brings it every play.

• Undecided. He's been injured alot. Need to see him healthy and utilized properly by the new DC.

Results are only viewable after voting.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
If people were on the war path that Bobby was washed up, I have no idea how Jamaal is ever still considered roster worthy by the same standards.
Because Jamal knows how to cover and Bobby started slowing and getting beat over the middle. You can't see the forest through the trees if you can't grasp building a stout D around and with a stud like JA

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
If people were on the war path that Bobby was washed up, I have no idea how Jamaal is ever still considered roster worthy by the same standards.

He's better than Derwin James at every statistical category

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Jamal Adams age 26, Bobby Wagner age 31. Both have been recognized as very talented, and superior to being the best at their positions. Wagner though has a degenerative knee condition which was taking away the greatest asset to his game his speed. Adams has a shoulder labrum issue that didn’t completely heal from the prior season’s surgery.

Long term I’d bet he’ll recover whereas old Father Time remains unbeaten in the case of Wagner. Maybe Wags has a few season’s left but is he truly not replaceable? I loved his game when younger but in a new system where his 4-3 abilities will not be used his big contract was a liability for a player who’s game was tailing off.

I agree with Frodos Finger. Adams is a unique talent better than Derwin James. He will be used better by the new D staff and we will be surprised and happy he’s a Seahawk.

flv2

Reaction score
He is, or at least was, a very good player. Coverage hasn't been a strength, even when he was with the Jets, so he's difficult to utilise to best advantage. The Seahawks gave up to much in the trade and they didn't use him well in 2021. The contract extension was fine at the time and injuries can be just random bad luck, (even with physical players). I have no issues with Adams as a player.

The Seahawks have had a square peg mentality when it comes to personnel decisions under Carroll's leadership. There have been 1 or 2 spectacular successes, but more often than not such decisions will look like an overpay.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I love that we gave up that much for a guy forcing his way out of town. Then they had to pay a ton to keep him. Now we are changing our whole scheme to make him effective. This is the worst trade in the history of our franchise and one of the worst of all time. Absolute disaster of a trade and it was clear that it was when it was made and it has only gotten worse.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
People are obsessed with blasting this guy. He's a hell of a player.

The blasting is warranted.

Jamal Adams is the highest paid safety in the league, 17.5M a year.......and two first round picks were given up to get him.

So until he remains healthy for 17 games, and plays lights out football like fans expect of him.............and not have zero sacks and miss large chunks of the seasons with injuries?

Then fans will rightfully continue to kick him in the nuts.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Feels like some people just want him to fail and/or refuse to pull for the guy. Just my opinion.
But fan how you want.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I love that we gave up that much for a guy forcing his way out of town. Then they had to pay a ton to keep him. Now we are changing our whole scheme to make him effective. This is the worst trade in the history of our franchise and one of the worst of all time. Absolute disaster of a trade and it was clear that it was when it was made and it has only gotten worse.

I think we’re changing scheme for many reasons and Jamal is bottom of the list of those things. Cover 3 has been figured out for years, specially the Pete brand, pass rush has been dead for years as well, none of these things are Jamal’s fault.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
He is, or at least was, a very good player. Coverage hasn't been a strength, even when he was with the Jets, so he's difficult to utilise to best advantage. The Seahawks gave up to much in the trade and they didn't use him well in 2021. The contract extension was fine at the time and injuries can be just random bad luck, (even with physical players). I have no issues with Adams as a player.

The Seahawks have had a square peg mentality when it comes to personnel decisions under Carroll's leadership. There have been 1 or 2 spectacular successes, but more often than not such decisions will look like an overpay.
Coverage has been stellar are you insane? I think he led the league with the Jets in coverage. Stop equating interceptions or a lack thereof to bad coverage guy. Wake up. He's the best football player on the field on any given Sunday bar none. Fight me

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Coverage has been stellar are you insane? I think he led the league with the Jets in coverage. Stop equating interceptions or a lack thereof to bad coverage guy. Wake up. He's the best football player on the field on any given Sunday bar none. Fight me

View attachment 11562
He is either a generational player as some here have claimed, or he is nowhere near that, or the position he plays is of no real consequence (and as such what we traded for him and how we are now paying him is a waste) because he has made no difference since being here at all. In fact the defense has been one of the worst of all time at stretches. Horrifically bad, and he was a part of that problem when he was out there. His coverage has been really poor.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Disagree with the remark "he has made no difference since being here at all". He set an NFL record for QB sacks (9.5) by a S in his first season here despite playing with a shoulder injury. That isn't chopped liver.

He was selected to the Pro Bowl that year. Last year he reinjured his shoulder that had been operated upon and was sat down. I agree with FrodosFinger go actually look at his coverage numbers when he was with the Jets instead of parroting the he can't cover rubbish. He can cover, he can blitz, and he is strong against the run. Simply he was used poorly by KNJ last season and thankfully the new D Staff will fix that when he is cleared to play. He is a very darn good player and a solid addition to the team.

Last edited:

sdog1981

Reaction score
Are we talking about Jamal Adams the hybrid linebacker? Because Jamal Adams the coverage safety dose not exist.

He is a 80 to 90 tackle 5 sack safety. He is going to play in the box to 12 yards deep. That is who he was at LSU, that is who he was with the Jets and that is who he is today. Thinking that he is going to be some type of deep coverage safety is just not realistic.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Disagree with the remark "he has made no difference since being here at all". He set an NFL record for QB sacks (9) by a S in his first season here despite playing with a shoulder injury. That isn't chopped liver.

He was selected to the Pro Bowl that year. Last year he reinjured his shoulder that had been operated upon and was sat down. I agree with FrodosFinger go actually look at his coverage numbers when he was with the Jets instead of parroting the he can't cover rubbish. He can cover, he can blitz, and he is strong against the run. Simply he was used poorly by KNJ last season and thankfully the new D Staff will fix that when he is cleared to play. He is a very darn good player and a solid addition to the team.
Yeah, after being blitzed constantly and having Wagner occupy blockers up the middle. While he was racking up those sacks our D was absolutely awful. Getting torn apart time and time again. They knew he couldn't cover so they had him do what he is good at blitzing, as a safety. Did he make our D good? Absolutely not, now they are trying to orient the entire D around him to accentuate what he does well and limit what he does not do well. Thats not a generational talent. Thats a guy who does a few things well and a few things poorly.
It was a terrible awful trade.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He was blitzed almost constantly b/c the team had no other effective pass rushers until late in the season. The collective defence was absolutely awful but that wasn't on Adams who was a rare bright spot along with a slowing Wagner and Wright. He actually got 9.5 sacks in his first season and to me showed he was worth the trade.

Last season for some reason the bright spark KNJ decided to have Adams play back which was difficult to understand when he had previously shown such success playing forward, Adams' stats suffered and he re-injured his previously repaired labrum shortening and ending an inconsistent and unproductive season. Adams had not had a significant injury history previously either. I'd bet he's back after being cleared to play this season and playing at the level he has shown for the best part of his pro career.

The team traded 2 firsts and 3rd to the Jets for a top player who had been elected to the Pro Bowl 3 times in his first 4 seasons. Adams to this point had shown no difficulty in covering and had a good number of passes defended. There is no doubt the team paid a top price for Adams but Adams was a top level player then and still is a top level player. The idea that the team burned itself by trading for Adams is historical reconstruction seeming based upon some unfounded belief that he can't cover based upon a situation of positional misuse. Frankly the whole freaking D under KNJ couldn't cover that well. The idea he can't cover is inconsistent withe the totality of his play as a pro.

Adams is a fierce player who lifts the guys around him with his competitive energy and his physicality. It's not hard to understand why the team traded a late first and a 3rd for Adams in last years draft. I doubt they even thought the D would continue to suck as bad as it did this last season or that RW would so publicly indicate he wanted out while not playing well in the new scheme of Coach Waldron. To most observers it was hard to understand why Norton was playing Adams back instead of ahead but Norton's continuing ineptitude as a DC was now totally revealed. There is now a new scheme and the new defensive staff have promised to use Adams genuine skills better. He will prove he was worth the the trade.

I'm certain the the team is happy with Adams and they did pay him as they believed he was worth a top level contract as top level SS. Kvetching about spent draft capital is fine but Adams helped the team through a period where they had no other pass rush or KNJ was too dumb to organize it.

Adams is an elite player and makes the Seahawks a better team.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Right gotcha, Adams is elite (I don't agree but I'll let you have it) that doesn't seem to change our results on the field though. I guess a box safety isn't really all that critical of a position then. You can't have it both ways. Either he is great but doesn't seem to benefit the D all that much or his greatness is greatly exaggerated. To me its a little of both. He has talent, but he is not a generational player or even close to it, plus his position just isn't that important.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
Jamal will have 12 sacks this year. That's my most optimistic, pie-in-the-sky, prognostication.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
He was blitzed almost constantly b/c the team had no other effective pass rushers until late in the season. The collective defence was absolutely awful but that wasn't on Adams who was a rare bright spot along with a slowing Wagner and Wright. He actually got 9.5 sacks in his first season and to me showed he was worth the trade.
[/QUOTE]

He was being blitzed so much because there was no other pass rusher AND because he was being torched in coverage. 9.5 sacks looks great on paper. but when a defense is giving up historical numbers, is it really that impressive? Those 9.5 sacks were practically meaningless.
Last season for some reason the bright spark KNJ decided to have Adams play back which was difficult to understand when he had previously shown such success playing forward, Adams' stats suffered and he re-injured his previously repaired labrum shortening and ending an inconsistent and unproductive season. Adams had not had a significant injury history previously either. I'd bet he's back after being cleared to play this season and playing at the level he has shown for the best part of his pro career.
[/QUOTE]

Adams has had two straight seasons now of surgeries and shoulder injuries. What he was before doesnt matter at this point. Chances are high he will end up injured again this season. It will be a chronic problem with him for the rest of his career.
The team traded 2 firsts and 3rd to the Jets for a top player who had been elected to the Pro Bowl 3 times in his first 4 seasons. Adams to this point had shown no difficulty in covering and had a good number of passes defended. There is no doubt the team paid a top price for Adams but Adams was a top level player then and still is a top level player. The idea that the team burned itself by trading for Adams is historical reconstruction seeming based upon some unfounded belief that he can't cover based upon a situation of positional misuse. Frankly the whole freaking D under KNJ couldn't cover that well. The idea he can't cover is inconsistent withe the totality of his play as a pro.
[/QUOTE]

Have you even watched him in Seattle? Guy gets burnt on a regular basis. Pass coverage is not his strength no matter how you want to twist it.
Adams is a fierce player who lifts the guys around him with his competitive energy and his physicality. It's not hard to understand why the team traded a late first and a 3rd for Adams in last years draft. I doubt they even thought the D would continue to suck as bad as it did this last season or that RW would so publicly indicate he wanted out while not playing well in the new scheme of Coach Waldron. To most observers it was hard to understand why Norton was playing Adams back instead of ahead but Norton's continuing ineptitude as a DC was now totally revealed. There is now a new scheme and the new defensive staff have promised to use Adams genuine skills better. He will prove he was worth the the trade.
[/QUOTE]

Adams was a typical luxury pick when the team couldnt afford it. The team needed pass rushers and Carroll bought a band-aid to cover up the wound (as usual). Him proving he was worth the trade is being very optimistic. In order to do so, he would have to ball like a HOFamer every season because that was the scope of the trade.
I'm certain the the team is happy with Adams and they did pay him as they believed he was worth a top level contract as top level SS. Kvetching about spent draft capital is fine but Adams helped the team through a period where they had no other pass rush or KNJ was too dumb to organize it.

Adams is an elite player and makes the Seahawks a better team.

Adams didnt help the team when there was no pass rush. The defense was on pace to give up more yards through the air than any team ever. The defense didnt settle in until Dunlap signed mid season. Adams did nothing to make that defense better. It was actually worse.

It was a horrible trade all around.