Nathan Rourke

LDP

Reaction score
You guys need to learn the rules of the CFL that leads to high passing capacity and inflated numbers. Yes Warren Moon was a star there and the NFL but few others.

The Field is 15 yards wider, the field is 10 yards longer, the end zones are 20 yards deep by 65 yards wide, all people in the backfield can be moving BEFORE the snap, the D must be 1 full yard back from the line of scrimmage, there are 12 players and because there are only 3 downs you must get your ten yards basically in 2 plays.

All of this leads to higher, easier scoring and open throws and runs.

There are many many more differences that benefit QB's Kickers, and WR's.

Don't know anything about this guy cause I cant get the CFL in Australia But I was born in Toronto and lived in Victoria BC for 1/2 my life so I have see my fair share of CFL games.
What you describe with respect to the CFL is absolutely correct. The game is much more wide open from a passing perspective then the NFL. The 3 downs alone call for more passing and if you asked Flutie and Moon to this day, that is what they loved about the CFL. Flutie in particular. The CFL was tailor made for his skill set.

Nevertheless, any way you look at it, Rourke is performing at a very high level. His dream as a kid was to play in the NFL and I for one would not be surprised if he gets there whether as QB2 or whatever. He is clearly driven and was why he played high school football in Alabama and ultimately ended up at the University of Ohio. His coaches there rave about him.

The Seattle totems you say! Sounds like you are of my vintage and no doubt recall the Portland Buckaroos(?), San Diego Gulls and the San Francisco Seals from the old WHL. Pre NHL expansion when there were only the six originals teams. The memories man.

LDP

Reaction score
What you describe with respect to the CFL is absolutely correct. The game is much more wide open from a passing perspective then the NFL. The 3 downs alone call for more passing and if you asked Flutie and Moon to this day, that is what they loved about the CFL. Flutie in particular. The CFL was tailor made for his skill set.

Nevertheless, any way you look at it, Rourke is performing at a very high level. His dream as a kid was to play in the NFL and I for one would not be surprised if he gets there whether as QB2 or whatever. He is clearly driven and was why he played high school football in Alabama and ultimately ended up at the University of Ohio. His coaches there rave about him.

The Seattle totems you say! Sounds like you are of my vintage and no doubt recall the Portland Buckaroos(?), San Diego Gulls and the San Francisco Seals from the old WHL. Pre NHL expansion when there were only the six originals teams. The memories man.
Make that Ohio University NOT The University of Ohio.

Rainger

Reaction score

Yup same vintage, my Grandfather was Al Leader, president of the WHL back in the day and in the NHL hall of fame. I have seen my fair share of sports going back to the 50s. Glad to meet you.

LDP

Reaction score
Yup same vintage, my Grandfather was Al Leader, president of the WHL back in the day and in the NHL hall of fame. I have seen my fair share of sports going back to the 50s. Glad to meet you.
Pleased to meet you as well! I recall your Grandfather’s name actually. I used to listen to the Canucks in those days on my transistor radio. Great players in the WHL that just could not quite crack the NHL - Phil Maloney in Portland, Guyle Fielder in Seattle and Bob Barlow in Vancouver. Great players that would have excelled post expansion.

Rainger

Reaction score
Pleased to meet you as well! I recall your Grandfather’s name actually. I used to listen to the Canucks in those days on my transistor radio. Great players in the WHL that just could not quite crack the NHL - Phil Maloney in Portland, Guyle Fielder in Seattle and Bob Barlow in Vancouver. Great players that would have excelled post expansion.
Guyle Fielder is my second cousin I was told growing up.

LDP

Reaction score
It was Art Jones in Portland, Phil played in Vancouver. Anyway, great players.

LionBacker

Reaction score
You guys need to learn the rules of the CFL that leads to high passing capacity and inflated numbers. Yes Warren Moon was a star there and the NFL but few others.

The Field is 15 yards wider, the field is 10 yards longer, the end zones are 20 yards deep by 65 yards wide, all people in the backfield can be moving BEFORE the snap, the D must be 1 full yard back from the line of scrimmage, there are 12 players and because there are only 3 downs you must get your ten yards basically in 2 plays.

All of this leads to higher, easier scoring and open throws and runs.

There are many many more differences that benefit QB's Kickers, and WR's.

Don't know anything about this guy cause I cant get the CFL in Australia But I was born in Toronto and lived in Victoria BC for 1/2 my life so I have seen my fair share of CFL games.
Ok…. Let’s put your assumptions aside, shall we? I’ve lived in Vancouver my entire life, and have been watching CFL and NFL for 50+ years. I don’t need a CFL 101 from anyone, thanks.

You haven’t seen this guy play, yet you’re passing judgements??

Of course the passing numbers are greater in the CFL, as it’s a pass-happy league. But Rourke is setting all-time records in a league that’s older than the NFL.

Nobody’s delusional here in saying this kid is worth a good look. His numbers are off the charts - even for the CFL.

Canhawks

Reaction score
This kid is putting up numbers that have pretty much never been seen before and as basically a rookie.He's only 24,Hawks wouldn't have to waste a draft pick to get him into camp next season and compete against the first round QB they draft in 2023.Why not give it a try??

LionBacker

Reaction score

[Rourke discussion at 11:32]. Two analysts, one from TSN, and neither from the BC Lions’ home market with their perspective on Rourke, CFL, NFL and what the future holds.

Lennie

Reaction score
Don’t forget Andy Bathgate!

LionBacker

Reaction score
So you have to go back to the 70s to find a QB who made the transition to the bigger league? I guess I forgot the Ricky Ray and Casey Printers eras of the NFL.
I was pointing out the long history of the CFL feeding the NFL at times. And yes, Printers washed out with KC - but putting him in the same conversation with Rourke is, well… I’ll put it as “incongruous”. Look up Printers’ stats and compare with Rourke — not even close.

All I’m saying is Rourke’s performance so far suggests he’s worth a serious look.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Sometimes it's a matter of getting the right opportunity in the right place at the right them . I think Ricky Ray was a better QB than Jeff Garcia. Yet Ray didn't get a chance when he was down there for a year, Garcia did and carved out a nice NFL career.

Islander

Reaction score
Flutie was CFL. So was Browner.

We don't have a QB. (At least not starting caliber) We have to try everything.
What? No memory of HOFer Warren Moon Twisted??

Rourke's stats last night where he came back from being down 20-3 in the second quarter and 40-31 in the last 3 minutes against Calgary (won 41-40):
PLAYERCP/AT%YDSTDINTLG
ROURKE, Nathan39/5275.0%4882253

Fun to watch but he has to cut down on those interceptions. Didn't expect to find Lions talk here!

LionBacker

Reaction score
What? No memory of HOFer Warren Moon Twisted??

Rourke's stats last night where he came back from being down 20-3 in the second quarter and 40-31 in the last 3 minutes against Calgary (won 41-40):
PLAYERCP/AT%YDSTDINTLG
ROURKE, Nathan39/5275.0%4882253

Fun to watch but he has to cut down on those interceptions. Didn't expect to find Lions talk here!
To be fair, the 2nd pick wasn’t his fault. Cottoy just stopped running his route for some reason. But yeah… Rourke sometimes fails to see the robber on certain plays. A couple teams now have schemed him by dropping DEs back on delay zone cover, and burned him.

LDP

Reaction score
To be fair, the 2nd pick wasn’t his fault. Cottoy just stopped running his route for some reason. But yeah… Rourke sometimes fails to see the robber on certain plays. A couple teams now have schemed him by dropping DEs back on delay zone cover, and burned him.
Totally agree on Cottoy. Replayed it a few times and it looks like he just gave up on the play for some reason. Also agree on Rourke struggling a bit at times with his reads but he’s a smart kid and will learn to deal with it. Let’s face it, opposing teams are going to throw everything at him to slow him down. Having said that, he bounced back incredibly well. That 4th quarter was ridiculous.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Rourke out for the year lisfranc surgery...like most cfl qbs the shelf life is minimal as they actually get hit regardless of the name on the back of their jersey.

OP
OP
B

beaumaris

Reaction score
Nathan Rourke now trying out with NFL teams.
Does anyone know if The Hawks are one of these teams.?

ivotuk

Reaction score

B.C. Lions quarterback Nathan Rourke going to workouts with NFL teams​

The 24-year-old Victoria native says he's looking for an opportunity where he can be on the field and making an impact for a team, and he's willing to come back to the Lions if that opportunity isn't available in the NFL.

His campaign was curtailed in mid-August by a foot injury that required surgery and forced him to miss eight games, but appeared in the final game of the regular season.

Rourke says he doesn't have any details on how many or which NFL teams he'll be doing workouts with.