More on Lance

bileever

Reaction score
Tim K - Not sure actually what his opinion is on Lance, but I've softened a bit on Tim. Since he moved over to the Athletic he's less "shock jock" than he used to be. A
I've always liked Tim Kawakami as a journalist and sports columnist. When he was at the Mercury, I thought that he more or less called it like it was. Yes, he was vitriolic during the Tomsula and Kelly years, but I thought that was understandable. After Harbaugh, but before Lynch and Shanahan, there was a lot to criticize about the Trent Baalke regime. There was a point when the 49ers had 4 head coaches in 4 years! Ah, those were the days!

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
The truth.

It's understandable that some Niners fans won't like it. Object & hide from it. Even though it will only lead them to disappointment.

But facts are what they are.

The meaning of literally has changed since I was young. I guess the meaning of facts has as well.

CactusJack

Reaction score
The meaning of literally has changed since I was young. I guess the meaning of facts has as well.
The secret is out. He's not good.

There's no point in trying to deny it.

The writing is on the wall when you take a guy 3rd overall, and he's likely QB3 on the depth chart in year three. No bueno.

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Well sort of, but they guaranteed 4.5 m to Darnold. You just don’t do that if there’s so much confidence in Trey. And lets not forget that 49ers Twitter ghosted Trey almost Entirely after Christmas.

Im not seeing an Alex Smith in Lance as much as I am a potential Josh Rosen or Paxton Lynch. How can someone in his THIRD YEAR OF PRESEASON get bested by a team led by fifth round rookie Aidan o Connell who got his first nfl exposure?
Aidan O'Connell looked REALLY GOOD in that game. I did see one pundit who called him out as the potential next Brock Purdy, and was talking about number of games started in HS and College, and overall leadership skills, and how more pre-NFL experience translates better to NFL success, because the "face of the franchise" and "team leadership" stuff is easier for those guys, and they can focus better on the football Xs and Os and their on-the-field game.

Purdy ran the team like a Boss, the Niners players seemed to love him, trust him, believe in him. I do expect Niners to keep 3 QBs, not give up on Lance yet, not even close. He did suck badly against the Raiders, missing short, easy WTF? type throws. Putting $4.5M into Darnold? Sounds like a one-year, let-Lance-develop type of situation. Darnold has shown he can be a competent, if unspectacular, NFL QB.

I'm super-impressed with Purdy and just how he handles things; he made so many clutch plays down the stretch, plays smart, avoids turnovers, uses his playmakers. Can't see how Shanahan would go anywhere else if Purdy is healthy. And yes, I do think Purdy is already better than Jimmy G, less likely to make mistakes at crucial times.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
Absolutely nothing considering how bad he is and the cap hit of being a top 3 pick (same cap hit as Geno yet Geno is our starter and Lance is on the practice squad/emergency quarterback)
of course Geno's cap hit is ridic the years after that. Which has been pointed out to you before.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
of course Geno's cap hit is ridic the years after that. Which has been pointed out to you before.
Most quarterbacks start out with a prove it contract and Lance’s cap hit continues to skyrocket with his stinky ass on the bench dog

bileever

Reaction score
Aidan O'Connell looked REALLY GOOD in that game. I did see one pundit who called him out as the potential next Brock Purdy, and was talking about number of games started in HS and College, and overall leadership skills, and how more pre-NFL experience translates better to NFL success, because the "face of the franchise" and "team leadership" stuff is easier for those guys, and they can focus better on the football Xs and Os and their on-the-field game.

Purdy ran the team like a Boss, the Niners players seemed to love him, trust him, believe in him. I do expect Niners to keep 3 QBs, not give up on Lance yet, not even close. He did suck badly against the Raiders, missing short, easy WTF? type throws. Putting $4.5M into Darnold? Sounds like a one-year, let-Lance-develop type of situation. Darnold has shown he can be a competent, if unspectacular, NFL QB.

I'm super-impressed with Purdy and just how he handles things; he made so many clutch plays down the stretch, plays smart, avoids turnovers, uses his playmakers. Can't see how Shanahan would go anywhere else if Purdy is healthy. And yes, I do think Purdy is already better than Jimmy G, less likely to make mistakes at crucial times.
Whoa, there. I agree with most of what you said here. I was dismayed at how well Brock Purdy played last year, especially against us. But is anyone else considering the fact that he only started 5 games? It's too early to say what he's going to be.

And I don't think Purdy is better than Garoppolo yet. Jimmy was really good in 2019. Purdy might eventually become better than Garoppolo, I''ll give you that, but it still remains to be seen. I'm hoping that Shanahan ends up regretting parting ways with Jimmy, but I don't know that I would bet on it.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Whoa, there. I agree with most of what you said here. I was dismayed at how well Brock Purdy played last year, especially against us. But is anyone else considering the fact that he only started 5 games? It's too early to say what he's going to be.

And I don't think Purdy is better than Garoppolo yet. Jimmy was really good in 2019. Purdy might eventually become better than Garoppolo, I''ll give you that, but it still remains to be seen. I'm hoping that Shanahan ends up regretting parting ways with Jimmy, but I don't know that I would bet on it.
Agreed with the entire statement. Purdy walked into an ideal situation surrounded by veterans and wasn’t asked to do much but hand the ball off to McCaffrey and throw a slant to Kittle. The offense is dummy proof and run heavy. He’s not a scrub he can get the ball out quick but to say he’s elite is premature. Jimmy G moved the sticks for the 49ers but had his limitations. Brock has about the same arm as Jimmy. Better than Lance and Darnold but that isn’t saying much

morgulon1

Reaction score
Lance was a bad decision . 3rd pick overall should be starting and playing well. Barring injury , he should be the leader of the team for 10 seasons. Someone put an article on this site by a guy that had worked in the NFL as a personell guy that made a point which I've always mirrored the same way which I'm paraphrasing..

You can't take a guy froma smaller school that isn't totally dominating the competition and expect him to do well in the NFL ( Dee Eskridge?) . The level of play is too great to overcome.

Last edited:

94Smith

Reaction score
The hard part for Lance is even if he does well today , the pundits will say it’s because it is preseason :rolleyes:

morgulon1

Reaction score
The hard part for Lance is even if he does well today , the pundits will say it’s because it is preseason :rolleyes:
But of course you guys would say " See!! I told you he was the man for the job!"

I would in that situation 😂

Latest posts