Lance traded to Cowboys

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Why not? 4th round pick seems a tad aggressive given that he's done close to nothing so far. It's hard, however, to say the 9ers won the trade.

He will be third string after Dak and cooper rush. We’re I him, i would have stayed in sf

NoGain

Reaction score
He will be third string after Dak and cooper rush. We’re I him, i would have stayed in sf
I have almost zero insight about what Lance is worth now, but to say that I think the Cowboys overpaid a bit. For all we know, he may never see the playing field in any kind of meaningful way ever again.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Cowboys’ Trade for Trey Lance May Come With Unintended Consequences

If Dak Prescott and Dallas falter, the outside noise will be deafening with the former No. 3 pick now looming behind in the depth chart.

Jerry Jones loves making waves. He might have created one larger than he’s expecting.

On Friday night, the Cowboys sent a 2024 fourth-round pick to the 49ers in exchange for quarterback Trey Lance. Lance, 23, spent his first two NFL seasons with San Francisco after general manager John Lynch traded three first-round choices to the Dolphins, moving up to take the North Dakota State product with the No. 3 pick in ‘21.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The cowboys play the raiders tomorrow. We all saw Trey against the raiders. Think they play him?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Probably the best thing that could have happened in Dallas he's under zero expectations and they may even be able to stash on their practice squad which is where he really belongs anyway.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
So do all the first rounder rules of his rookie deal go with him? IF so, there's a lot of this that make no sense to me. Are the Cowboys planing on moving on from Dak? If not, and he's their starter for 2 years then they have to decide on Lance's 5th year option with him potentially not having played much the last 2 years barring Prescott getting hurt

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
So do all the first rounder rules of his rookie deal go with him? IF so, there's a lot of this that make no sense to me. Are the Cowboys planing on moving on from Dak? If not, and he's their starter for 2 years then they have to decide on Lance's 5th year option with him potentially not having played much the last 2 years barring Prescott getting hurt
It's Jerruh, he loves making headlines. Don't you love when Dallas in in chaos yes/no.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Probably the best thing that could have happened in Dallas he's under zero expectations and they may even be able to stash on their practice squad which is where he really belongs anyway.

Dallas cant put him on ps without putting him on waivers, plus they picked up his guaranteed contract including 5 mil for 2024.

The Chances that Trey will see game reps or even practice reps arent greater in Dallas.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
A lot of critics are blasting the niners over their handling of Lance, and I have to completely disagree with them. The mistake was drafting him in the first place. He was never going to lead them to success in his first or second season, and waiting for year 3 is way too long to be trading up in the draft to get. Their biggest and main mistake happened on draft day, and everything else was downhill from that.
The great success story of Purdy (and really any player who comes out of nowhere) has a flipside: some player losing their job. In this case it was Trey Lance. The niners got the wins with Purdy that they wanted with Lance. They could either pretend last season doesn't matter or they could accept that Lance is not their best option going forward. They chose to go with Purdy and it makes sense to do so.
Getting a 4th round pick and getting his salary off the books is a huge win for the niners as it is highly unlikely that Lance was ever going to make it work in SF.
The Cowboys overpaid, but they overpaid to be the team who gets the first crack at trying to build him up in a situation with much less pressure. If Lance is ever going to be a starting QB he'll need to start with the basics and fundamentals and go from there. He was already a project, but now he's a project with an injury history and one failed relationship with a team.

Latest posts