METCALF

Hawknight

Reaction score
I haven't seen many threads about Metcalf and perhaps trading him for a high draft pick or another player for a position of need on the team. I mean with Lockett. Metcalfs a stud and all, but if we can get some help on either defense or the O line, this might be a good opportunity. Metcalf will eventually be eating some serious cap space in the near future. Just a thought.

chris98251

Reaction score
So trade a player Pete has spent 10 years looking for to only have to go and draft another one ? A player under a rookie contract at that, a player that has yet to really scratch the surface of his productivity.

Ok................ Oh and a player that if you trade sends a Nuclear Bomb type signal to Wilson you have gone full desperation mode and then to trade his weapon for a defensive player also. Bye Bye Mr Wilson...........

toffee

Reaction score
Hawknight":2xswe3yg said:
I haven't seen many threads about Metcalf and perhaps trading him for a high draft pick or another player for a position of need on the team. I mean with Lockett. Metcalfs a stud and all, but if we can get some help on either defense or the O line, this might be a good opportunity. Metcalf will eventually be eating some serious cap space in the near future. Just a thought.

Once Russ finished with exploring his options and picked a destination, we shall have plenty of picks, no need to trade Metcalf. With Metcalf and Lockett, we have the WRs to attract FA QBs, who wouldn't want to play with these two? Right?

rcaido

Reaction score
I would trade DK if you can get a couple early draft picks.

His body language and high maintenance ego, if he does not get his way. He kind of reminds me of Scam Newton w/ his towel over his head sulking.

We have plenty of cap this coming season...Why not go for Allen Robinson or Mike Williams. Or go for the best Devante Adams.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think you have to extend Metcalf.

But I won't lie, having to pay him 20M+ a year is a tough cap pill to swallow for an offense that he's not the centerpiece of.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not even CLOSE to Cam Newton. Come on. The guy clearly grew up a lot the 2nd half of last season.
I just don't get some Hawks fans. All we hear is complaints about not having good enough players. Yet, people want to trade our BEST players like Russ, DK, Wags etc. :?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":10syhh99 said:
Not even CLOSE to Cam Newton. Come on. The guy clearly grew up a lot the 2nd half of last season.
I just don't get some Hawks fans. All we hear is complaints about not having good enough players. Yet, people want to trade our BEST players like Russ, DK, Wags etc. :?

This is exactly what I'm thinking. Anyone ever hear the phrase, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"? Trading established guys for draft picks is not only short sighted its dumb. Draft picks, regardless of round chosen are crap shoots at best. The flameout and bust status among any pick is higher than the hit rate.

Trading the best players on your team for potential does nothing to guarantee team success. What it does is weaken your team while being able to enjoy draft day because of more picks. As much as I like watching the draft and the preparation for it, I don't want to see my team weakened just to grab more guys who might not even be NFL caliber let alone serviceable, never mind bona fide starts.

There are no prizes for winning the off season or having the best perceived draft at the conclusion of the draft. Most NFL pundits gave the Seahawks an F for their drafting of the 2012 draft. That is the same draft that brought Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, Russell Wilson, Robert Turbin and JR Sweezy. All of those guys contributed greatly to the Super Bowl XLVIII win. That draft is an outlier in player acquisition.

Rat

Reaction score
Nobody is untradeable in my mind, but I can't see another team offering what it would take for me to consider moving DK. If they did: awesome, because it would be a LOT. Like they would have the entire league laughing at them the next day.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":440thi3a said:
SoulfishHawk":440thi3a said:

This is exactly what I'm thinking. Anyone ever hear the phrase, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"? Trading established guys for draft picks is not only short sighted its dumb. Draft picks, regardless of round chosen are crap shoots at best. The flameout and bust status among any pick is higher than the hit rate.

Trading the best players on your team for potential does nothing to guarantee team success. What it does is weaken your team while being able to enjoy draft day because of more picks. As much as I like watching the draft and the preparation for it, I don't want to see my team weakened just to grab more guys who might not even be NFL caliber let alone serviceable, never mind bona fide starts.

There are no prizes for winning the off season or having the best perceived draft at the conclusion of the draft. Most NFL pundits gave the Seahawks an F for their drafting of the 2012 draft. That is the same draft that brought Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, Russell Wilson, Robert Turbin and JR Sweezy. All of those guys contributed greatly to the Super Bowl XLVIII win. That draft is an outlier in player acquisition.

This is part of the equation.

The other part is any good front office stays on top of players that are in their long range plans, and players that are not.

So that's really the question with DK, is he in your long term plans. If he is? Then you need to start negotiating his extension and be willing to pay front line elite WR money, because that's what he wants. 20M+.

If he's not in your long range plans, then yes you need to look long and hard at when's the best time to trade him for max value.

Honestly, not something Pete and John have been good at. We keep players too long that aren't in our long range plans. Sherm, Earl, extending Kam, etc. We wait a year too long to get off of players, and get stuck with big dead cap money and diminished picks when traded.

justafan

Reaction score
I dont think anyone wants to lose him. He is a top WR. My idea of Cap Hell is paying your WRs 40 mil and not being able to afford fixing the trenches. Next year is his last cheap year and right now we lack RBs, C, OT, pass rush and CBs. Without fixing those I dont think it matters who the WRs are. Its just putting the money at positions that have a higher priority IMO.

rcaido

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1in6c8x1 said:

We should have traded Wagner last year & kept KJ. Now we either pay him $20+million this coming season or cut him if he chooses not to restructure. His trade value was probably a 2nd & 4th last year...Now probably just 3rd or 4th round pick.

No way, Seahawks are going to pay Metcalf $20mllion for several years. Might as well go after Devante Adams with that money, plus you get the draft picks for Metcalf.

Metcalf does not have the synergy like Locket/Wilson. Maybe if his attitude was better, i would keep him...Right now looks like its fractured between Wilson & DK...Probably might get worse next season.

Elemas

Reaction score
I don’t know what it is…maybe boredom. Little bit of free time? Clear the air? Maybe my fascination to entertain sheer ludicrously themed posts, but….

Here I am.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
rcaido":21zoxsjf said:
Metcalf does not have the synergy like Locket/Wilson. Maybe if his attitude was better, i would keep him...Right now looks like its fractured between Wilson & DK...Probably might get worse next season.

IMO this is on Russell, not DK.

The reason Russell has such good chemistry with Lockett is because Lockett's figured out what Russell likes to do after the play breaks down. Which are 50% of Lockett's catches, broken plays receptions after he finds a seam or gap for Russell to put the ball.

DK needs a QB that's not afraid to throw him the ball on time on slants, seam and sideline routes........even if he's covered.

That's not something Russell's comfortable with.

rcaido

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3lpamrbe said:
rcaido":3lpamrbe said:

IMO this is on Russell, not DK.

The reason Russell has such good chemistry with Lockett is because Lockett's figured out what Russell likes to do after the play breaks down. Which are 50% of Lockett's catches, broken plays receptions after he finds a seam or gap for Russell to put the ball.

DK needs a QB that's not afraid to throw him the ball on time on slants, seam and sideline routes........even if he's covered.

That's not something Russell's comfortable with.

Well there you go, another reason to trade Metcalf. Baldwin was able to do the same.