Me3 starting to lower his goals

James in PA

Reaction score

chrispy

Reaction score
Reported several places that league insiders think he may sign for vet minimum to go somewhere he'd be the expected starter. Is it me, or does this sound un-like the RCW M.O.? It seems to me that he values himself more than everyone else and with his cash windfall when the Broncos cut him, he might want to be picky about where he goes and how much he makes...no?

RedAlice

Reaction score
He’s become so annoying and cringe that he needs a full re-brand.

From a PR perspective, he’d do well to take a vet minimum and drop a lot of the other pretentious things - try to market his image back to being all about football.

Of course, he would have to actually focus on football - so not sure he can do that now. Maybe.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The attacks on his character is still weird for me. I noticed on Reddit people have transitioned to much less of a hateful tone and we're a little slower to get there but hopefully we do.

His interview with Marshall was really good. Spoke highly of Pete as well.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The attacks on his character is still weird for me. I noticed on Reddit people have transitioned to much less of a hateful tone and we're a little slower to get there but hopefully we do.

Yeah, there are times that I feel sorry for him, that he's basically a good guy and doesn't deserve all the attacks on his character. But then I quickly come to the realization that he's asked for this. The man never shies away from a camera or an interview, posts all sorts of personal stuff on the internet. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

The posters in here have a good point. Russell does seem to have a much higher opinion of his ability than what others do. In other words, he's delusional. I'd be surprised if another team turned the reigns over to him even for the league minimum salary.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing, and Russell isn't the only player to have an over inflated ego. In order to play at that level, you need to have supreme confidence in your ability that goes way beyond what others think of you.

RedAlice

Reaction score

Let the re-branding begin.

morgulon1

Reaction score
He’s become so annoying and cringe that he needs a full re-brand.

From a PR perspective, he’d do well to take a vet minimum and drop a lot of the other pretentious things - try to market his image back to being all about football.

Of course, he would have to actually focus on football - so not sure he can do that now. Maybe.
I'm glad someone from an enemy fan perspective could say that for the fan boys to notice and appreciate.

Take young Russell's first 3-4 seasons he was all about team , self improvement and Superbowls. Then he tasted fame , money , senoritas and well .... We know what happened.

Fat Russ , big money , mansion with 12 bathrooms. He got civilized.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm glad someone from an enemy fan perspective could say that for the fan boys to notice and appreciate.

Take young Russell's first 3-4 seasons he was all about team , self improvement and Superbowls. Then he tasted fame , money , senoritas and well .... We know what happened.

Fat Russ , big money , mansion with 12 bathrooms. He got civilized.
Agreed. Something happened to Russell. IMO it could have been when he got divorced from his first wife then married that hooker/gansta banger. It seemed to be around that period of time when his personality started to change. It's just my personal impression, nothing else.

Torc

Reaction score
He can take vet minimum. He's getting guaranteed money from the Broncos for a couple of years. Before signing with them he was on a hall of fame track. Someone is most certainly going to be willing to take a chance at him at the minimum. Probably several someones.

OP
OP
James in PA

James in PA

Reaction score
I keep hearing how the Stealers are the betting favorites to sign him. Seems like an odd pairing to me. I can't picture it, but I sorta hope it happens.

RiverDog

Reaction score
He can take vet minimum. He's getting guaranteed money from the Broncos for a couple of years. Before signing with them he was on a hall of fame track. Someone is most certainly going to be willing to take a chance at him at the minimum. Probably several someones.
Hall of Fame track? IMO he was going to have to win an MVP or SB MVP before he could be considered HOF worthy. Russ's all time stats aren't that impressive. Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers, Drew Bledsoe, Vinny Testaverde, and Carson Palmer are all QB's not generally considered HOF worthy that have more passing yards than Russell. If the HOF voters are as unimpressed with him as those who vote on the league MVP award, he wouldn't stand a chance as Russ has never gotten one single vote for MVP.

Plus, he didn't play for the Steelers or Cowboys, he played for South Alaska.

At this point, Russell is going to need a Kurt Warner-type ending to his career if he wants to get into serious consideration for a green jacket. HOF'ers retire, they don't get cut.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Hall of Fame track? IMO he was going to have to win an MVP or SB MVP before he could be considered HOF worthy. Russ's all time stats aren't that impressive. Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers, Drew Bledsoe, Vinny Testaverde, and Carson Palmer are all QB's not generally considered HOF worthy that have more passing yards than Russell. If the HOF voters are as unimpressed with him as those who vote on the league MVP award, he wouldn't stand a chance as Russ has never gotten one single vote for MVP.

Plus, he didn't play for the Steelers or Cowboys, he played for South Alaska.

At this point, Russell is going to need a Kurt Warner-type ending to his career if he wants to get into serious consideration for a green jacket. HOF'ers retire, they don't get cut.
Exactly . Let alone a gold jacket.

Last edited:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Hall of Fame track? IMO he was going to have to win an MVP or SB MVP before he could be considered HOF worthy.
If he'd have gone to Denver and lit it up, while things fell apart in Seattle, he probably would have been a shoe-in for HOF. It would have supported the contention that Russ was the reason for success in Seattle, and would have done more if Pete hadn't been holding him back.

But neither of those things happened. That narrative crumbled while another one took its place, and it wasn't kind to Russ.

RiverDog

Reaction score
If he'd have gone to Denver and lit it up, while things fell apart in Seattle, he probably would have been a shoe-in for HOF. It would have supported the contention that Russ was the reason for success in Seattle, and would have done more if Pete hadn't been holding him back.

But neither of those things happened. That narrative crumbled while another one took its place, and it wasn't kind to Russ.
Yeah, at this point, I can't see things ending on a high note for Russell. Even if he plays relatively well on the order of last season's performance, it's unlikely to end in another SB appearance and he'll be considered just another stop gap 30+ year old quarterback like Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Carson Wentz, Ryan Tannehill, Derek Carr, et al.

But we'll see. Like I keep saying, it's a fascinating story and good drama.

Scout

Reaction score
I keep hearing how the Stealers are the betting favorites to sign him. Seems like an odd pairing to me. I can't picture it, but I sorta hope it happens.
Tomlin can possibly reign in Wilson and buy in. Makes sense because if the Steelers land a QB that can protect the football and take some shots downfield that is all they want from the QB position. Wilson can still do that in his career.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Green jacket, gold jacket. Who gives a shit?