McCaffrey traded to 49ers

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Trey Lance hasn’t been relevant since the 49ers screwed up and drafted him. He just ain’t “that guy”
Your opinion. They would disagree. He is so inexperienced that I know whether he can be “the guy” til around the end of next season.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Your opinion. They would disagree. He is so inexperienced that I know whether he can be “the guy” til around the end of next season.
After the end of year 3? Not sure what will change in a year. I’ve gone over this in a previous thread regarding his mechanics and the speed of the game at this level compared to FCS which is a step up from high school. He just hasn’t lived up to the billing even though most scouts regarded him as more of a project

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
After the end of year 3? Not sure what will change in a year. I’ve gone over this in a previous thread regarding his mechanics and the speed of the game at this level compared to FCS which is a step up from high school. He just hasn’t lived up to the billing even though most scouts regarded him as more of a project
Some QBs transition from college to NFL faster than others. He came in with limited experience, so it’s understandable that he will need time. Take a look at Drew Brees improvement from Year #2 to Year #3. His QBR jumped from 67 to 104. Then had 4,000 or 5,000 yards most years thereafter.

I am not saying Lance is the next Brees. I’m just saying he might make significant progress next year. We don’t know.

Last edited:

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Some QBs transition from college to NFL faster than others. He came in with limited experience, so it’s understandable that he will need time. Take a look at Drew Brees improvement from Year #2 to Year #3.

I am not saying Lance is the next Brees. I’m just saying he might make significant progress next year. We don’t know.
Drew Brees couldn’t beat out Phillip Rivers in San Diego which is what led to his career with New Orleans . Drew Brees also played Big 10 college football and never had a problem with accuracy, mechanics or reading coverages. All the great quarterbacks have elite field vision and I haven’t really seen that out of Lance in the short sample size we got from him. Footwork is off, doesn’t know how to take hits or protect his body. Sliding increases career longevity for the quarterback position

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is great for the 49ers.

It keeps the workload off Debo and gives them one more running threat.

Someone said that health and momentum determine success in the playoffs. Completely disagree.
What seems to matter more is matchups.

And if the 49ers are paired against a team that struggles against the run? They will kill them.
Can you think of a team that the 49ers might have to face? That would be the Rams.

The Rams are basically built to lose to the 49ers now.

Right now, the 49ers have a massive advantage over the Rams. This trade basically gives them an assured win against the Rams. YOU OR I could run for 4 yards against the Rams. CMC will run all over them and he isn't even the only back they can use. Less wear and tear on Debo preserves him for the next game too.

Well worth it.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
This is great for the 49ers.
i'm seeing this take in the media and these forums, and it's very shortsighted.

it was a desperation move. the 49ers are 3-3. their offense is sputtering. their offense looks extremely limited, and they are banking on this move to elevate their offense. maybe it does? maybe, it gives their offense new wrinkles and a matchup problem for defenses. but to me, if they're going to make a move and spend this type of capital (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th) then don't do that on a running back when that's not near the main issue with offense. the main issues are a) qb and b) offensive line c) the lack of creativity in the passing game. if they had gone out and shored up their offensive line with some of those picks, i would get it. if they had even a small upgrade at qb that can open the passing game, i would get it. but a running back? it takes some carries away from deebo, but that doesn't necessarily make them better. i think it DOES help them on the perimeter and in the short passing game, something that jimmy g actually excels at. they are doubling down on their running game and short passing game. but defenses will still bet against downfield throws and a downfield passing game. they will stack the line and perimeter to counter this move. and their offensive line and qb are still bad. when they play a real defense, we will see that the 49ers are still the same offense with the same warts with an inability to hit on med-deep throws and an inability to move the ball downfield safely.

and i don't have any issue with trading for mccaffrey. the issue is value and what they gave up. if this was 23 year-old, healthy mccaffrey that put up huge numbers in 2019, then what they gave up would be understandable. but since 2019, he's missed a TON of games. he missed 23 ⁉️ games the prior 2 seasons. it's a risky move. lots of capital tied up into a running back that missed those 23 games the prior 2 seasons.

so with future picks being involved we won't really know if this is a "great" move for the 49ers until atleast the end of this season. if they win a superbowl with mccaffrey being a reason, then it's a "great" move. anything short of that? average, at best. losing those picks will hurt down the road. kyle shanahan and john lynch must be in a pressure cooker. desperation.

Last edited:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Drew Brees couldn’t beat out Phillip Rivers in San Diego which is what led to his career with New Orleans . Drew Brees also played Big 10 college football and never had a problem with accuracy, mechanics or reading coverages. All the great quarterbacks have elite field vision and I haven’t really seen that out of Lance in the short sample size we got from him. Footwork is off, doesn’t know how to take hits or protect his body. Sliding increases career longevity for the quarterback position
None of us has seen enough of Lance to know with certainty that he’s not going to correct his deficiencies with more experience and coaching. Brees was unimpressive until year #3, so let’s not jump to conclusions about Lance until he has played 30-36 games. That’s the standard proposed by Trent Dilfer — who knows 1,000 times more than I about the QB position.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Great player the rare times he’s healthy.
This trade has the very likely chance of biting the ninnies in the ass.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Lowdown,

He doesn't need to be healthy. He just needs to be healthy in the playoffs.
It would be great if he got some reg season burn just to take wear and tear off Debo, but that is it.

His value is that he can be a home run hitter. That's all the 49ers need.

Before, if they were down by 4 with 2 min to go, they had to rely on Debo. Which is a problem because Jimmy isn't a guy you want to rely on for this. Look at how often he almost gave the ball away in previous playoff games.

The other thing, is for as long as they have him - they basically have a free pass to beat the Rams in the playoffs unless the Rams both magically fix their OL and their run defense. So they don't need to win the SuperBowl. They just need to get matched a few times with the Rams in the playoffs for this to pay off.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
No one in this thread is doubting his talent. His football IQ is off the charts and Kyle can scheme him into a variety of sets utilizing his hands out of the backfield with rubs, flares and screens and even play him in the slot at times. I’m guessing he’ll get about 12 touches per game. Dude invites contact and has elite acceleration when running through a hole. He’s a matchup nightmare.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Some QBs transition from college to NFL faster than others. He came in with limited experience, so it’s understandable that he will need time. Take a look at Drew Brees improvement from Year #2 to Year #3. His QBR jumped from 67 to 104. Then had 4,000 or 5,000 yards most years thereafter.

Drew Brees performed worse, and in fewer games, in his third season than in his second. He barely played (27 attempts in a single game he didn't start) in his first season. Brees started all 16 games in his second season and 11 in his third, and the big improvement was from his third season to his fourth.

If you're going to use a comparison to Brees, what Lance has done in two seasons is much closer to what Brees did in his first season than to what he did in his first two. At the start of next season, Lance will have started four NFL games, and he was pretty damn bad in the two he started this year. If Lance's career were to follow a Brees-ish trajectory, the improvement would be expected between Lance's fourth and fifth seasons in the league. By that time, Lance will either be a free agent or in the fifth year of his rookie contract if the Gold Diggers decide to pick up that fifth-year option, and thus he won't have the main advantage of QBs on rookie contracts - the low cap hit.

A fifth-year option for a QB can get pretty expensive. It's still noticeably less than the top-of-the-market QB contracts, but it can be really pricey for a not-yet-proven-to-be-excellent player, and it's fully guaranteed. Daniel Jones's fifth-year option would have given him a fully-guaranteed $22.4M, so you can see why the Giants decided to decline it. Kyler Murray's fifth-year option was picked up, giving him just shy of $30M fully guaranteed, but he then got an extension.

The Diggers will have to decide after the 2023 season whether or not to pick up Lance's 2025 option. Given how little Lance will have started by then (at most a single 17-game season plus four games), it's not extremely likely he will have played well enough for the Diggers to want to fully guarantee him tens of millions of dollars for 2025. They might decide they'll do better by drafting a new QBotF.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Drew Brees performed worse, and in fewer games, in his third season than in his second. He barely played (27 attempts in a single game he didn't start) in his first season. Brees started all 16 games in his second season and 11 in his third, and the big improvement was from his third season to his fourth.

If you're going to use a comparison to Brees, what Lance has done in two seasons is much closer to what Brees did in his first season than to what he did in his first two. At the start of next season, Lance will have started four NFL games, and he was pretty damn bad in the two he started this year. If Lance's career were to follow a Brees-ish trajectory, the improvement would be expected between Lance's fourth and fifth seasons in the league. By that time, Lance will either be a free agent or in the fifth year of his rookie contract if the Gold Diggers decide to pick up that fifth-year option, and thus he won't have the main advantage of QBs on rookie contracts - the low cap hit.

A fifth-year option for a QB can get pretty expensive. It's still noticeably less than the top-of-the-market QB contracts, but it can be really pricey for a not-yet-proven-to-be-excellent player, and it's fully guaranteed. Daniel Jones's fifth-year option would have given him a fully-guaranteed $22.4M, so you can see why the Giants decided to decline it. Kyler Murray's fifth-year option was picked up, giving him just shy of $30M fully guaranteed, but he then got an extension.

The Diggers will have to decide after the 2023 season whether or not to pick up Lance's 2025 option. Given how little Lance will have started by then (at most a single 17-game season plus four games), it's not extremely likely he will have played well enough for the Diggers to want to fully guarantee him tens of millions of dollars for 2025. They might decide they'll do better by drafting a new QBotF.
Sorry, I was talking third season for Brees. That was the second season that he had any significant playing time. Lance will be going into his third season, but with few games under his belt. 49ers have too much invested in him to pull the plug until the end of his rookie contract.

Fade

Reaction score
His value is that he can be a home run hitter. That's all the 49ers need.

Before, if they were down by 4 with 2 min to go
Fun Fact: Kyle is 0-26 when trailing by 4 or more points in the 4 qtr. A Head Coach he is not.

CMC was going to be a Ram if they didn't overpay. This trade does indeed give them an advantage over the Rams, but they have to win this year. Their roster is only going to get older and worse from here on out.

Jac

Reaction score
None of us has seen enough of Lance to know with certainty that he’s not going to correct his deficiencies with more experience and coaching. Brees was unimpressive until year #3, so let’s not jump to conclusions about Lance until he has played 30-36 games. That’s the standard proposed by Trent Dilfer — who knows 1,000 times more than I about the QB position.
Brees had 1,678 attempts in college. Lance had 318 (most of which were in 2019). By the time he gets his next shot, it will have been FOUR years since his last meaningful playtime. The NFL is littered with QB "projects" that wash out, particularly compared to those that become All-Pro's. It's not surprising that the 49ers are going all-in while they have Garoppolo.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson, Michael Irwin, and Kurt Warner were talking this morning about what team has the best chance to beat the Eagles in the NFC. Michael voted for his Cowboys (no surprise). Jimmy and Kurt voted for 49ers.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Not gonna lie but McCaffrey's highlights with 49ers is nice. But if Saquon was able to turn it around, then McCaffrey can turn it around as well.

I think this was a good trade for the niner's.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I"m thinking the 9'ers are a happy team with the trade.

Latest posts