McCaffrey traded to 49ers

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
McCaffrey is a good 'win now' move, probably not good long-term but that's highly dependent on whether he gets injured.

Rams, however, do not look good this year. I still say we split the series with them (because divisional opponent) but they are not scary.

NINEster

Reaction score
we'll see how they feel in 2-3 years.

WGAF by then, LOL.

A lifetime in the modern NFL.

McCaffrey has exceeded just about all Niner fan expectations. He's a bonafide stud. I probably should haven't underestimated him given that the last two times the 49ers played the Panthers, we kicked their asses and he still got his.

Some of us wondered what Kyle's offense would look like with an elite RB and not one who performs like one via scheme (i.e. Mostert).

Just a matter of if he's enough to help this very unique offense get over the hump. At this point, with Jimmy Garoppolo, it's cautious optimism at best.

NINEster

Reaction score
Fun Fact: Kyle is 0-26 when trailing by 4 or more points in the 4 qtr. A Head Coach he is not.

CMC was going to be a Ram if they didn't overpay. This trade does indeed give them an advantage over the Rams, but they have to win this year. Their roster is only going to get older and worse from here on out.

The bolded didn't apply to Seattle's roster circa 2017-2018 did it?

Oddly the 49er roster IMO is better now than it was in 2019 (esp. on offense), but the league has adjusted to Kyle's run game pretty well. 15-4 with Kendrick Bourne, Emmanuel Sanders, and Marquise Goodwin. Which of those guys are you taking over Deebo & Aiyuk?

The Niner interior OL and DL are weaker than 2019. Some of it injury, some of it legit lost in FA. Just can't keep everyone forever.

And I think corner wise, even with the injuries the Niners are better now than 2019. Week 1, clearly superior. Geno Smith would tell you the same thing, and he will definitely look better in the rematch because one of them is no longer there.

Yeah it won't last forever, but the LOB dynasty took a bit longer than Niner fans wanted to see die, so hang in there a minute.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Fun Fact: Kyle is 0-26 when trailing by 4 or more points in the 4 qtr. A Head Coach he is not.

CMC was going to be a Ram if they didn't overpay. This trade does indeed give them an advantage over the Rams, but they have to win this year. Their roster is only going to get older and worse from here on out.

So a few things RE that stat....a little context.

1) You'd be hard pressed to find ANY NFL coach that has a GOOD record in that scenario.
2) The 49ers are a run based team with a great D. They aren't built for comebacks.
3) ALOT of that record was with Mullens or Beathard at QB. Jimmy ain't exactly a comeback kid either.

The "getting older" comment is odd to me. You say that like they aren't replenishing. Deebo is mid 20's. Aiyuk on rookie contract. McCaffrey is 26 and Mitchell only in 2nd year. We'll see how Trey Lance works out, but he's 21. Bosa on rookie contract. Drake Jackson is a rookie who looks like a keeper.

Trent Williams is for sure getting older. Kittle is 29. Yes, this year their first pick will be at the end of round 3 (and they'll have several of them), but they'll still hav 8-9 picks. Next year, they'll be missing only a 5 and still get several compensatory picks.

You have been driving this age point for a few seasons now as if the team has been unable to infuse young talent. That just not the case.

I mean both of their guards are YOUNG. Banks has been stellar in year 2 and Burford looks like he's got potential starting as a rookie. Their biggest problem on the O-Line has been at RT, not at guard or center where people expected.

Last edited:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
As long as Deebo and CMC are on the 49er's roster now, the Rams will have to fight for playoff spot. And worse, the Rams have to hope they don't get stuck playing the 49ers in the playoffs - or they will be bounced.

It isn't just this year. CMC almost gives the 49ers a trump card over the Rams in most matchups.

Completely worth the investment.

God help the NFL if the 49ers ever get a competent QB with this roster though.

Fanatics

Reaction score
Sad that we cannot be more objective, especially on our own board. Trade breaks and he is washed up, too expensive, another trade not worth making. He has the triple play game and now everyone is quiet. One game shouldn't change anybody's mind that much.

My thoughts, the 49ers will be tough with this lineup. Even with JG's limitations, a McCaffrey type back is all they were missing forever. He is an elite talent with WR skills and now on a team that loves to dink/dunk and work the YAC angle. He was the perfect fit for this team. Still have no clue what they were trying to do in the last 2 drafts with big backs in the 3rd round.

That said, it doesn't open up the offense for them, it just makes the short underneath stuff harder to defend. Teams will play them kind of opposite of RW, squeeze the middle and crowd the LOS. Doesn't mean you will stop it though, with the YAC players they have but does mean that they are defendable.

I think the Hawks have a great chance against them, as obviously Smith has improved since week 2 and will force a defense. that lost probably their best CB for the season, to defend the entire field. Love our running game against this defense as well, as the 49ers interior DL is weak and LB's are already banged up.

Latest posts