McCaffrey traded to 49ers

uncle fester

Reaction score
That contract would make me pause. The injury history on top would make me nervous to pull the trigger. It could be a great move or it could be a disaster. Which is a real tightrope when the trade subject is a RB.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
One thing to consider is how C Mac was handled in Carolina. He really was the offense year in and year out, and it took a toll on his body. He just started to wear out from over use.

After missing one game to injury in college, inguinal pull, he went on to play in all 48 of his first NFL games before his body started breaking down, appearing in only 10 of the next 33 games. He has had sprains of both ankles, as well as thigh and hamstring sprains.

In more of a role player scenario, it is likely that his injury risk will be significantly lower. The accumulated miles will still be there, but if he isn't required to carry the same load, he has the potential to remain healthier.

Unfortunately for him, he's probably going to the worst team at using strength and conditioning to prevent these kinds of injuries. Niners have got to be right near the top for preventable, soft tissue injuries every year, and why they can't sort that out with better coaches is befuddling.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah I still don’t see them making the playoffs. They’ve played the easiest part of their schedule and came out 3-3 like everyone else in the division so right now it’s still a crapshoot in the NFC West.
As I can tell you (being a Bears fan) you can dismiss the loss with Trey Lance in a monsoon rain. Injuries have hurt them, especially in the last game.

If you noticed my qualifier, I said that IF they can get their whole team healthy, they will challenge the Eagles for the NFC title. That's a big "IF".

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
As I can tell you (being a Bears fan) you can dismiss the loss with Trey Lance in a monsoon rain. Injuries have hurt them, especially in the last game.

If you noticed my qualifier, I said that IF they can get their whole team healthy, they will challenge the Eagles for the NFC title. That's a big "IF".
I’m not ready to start placing crowns on teams with 11 games left my friend. The Eagles look good now but let’s not act like they’re a juggernaut. There’s too much parity in the league aside from the Bills. But yeah… The NFC as a whole is up for grabs and will be pretty much all year

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I’m not ready to start placing crowns on teams with 11 games left my friend. The Eagles look good now but let’s not act like they’re a juggernaut. There’s too much parity in the league aside from the Bills. But yeah… The NFC as a whole is up for grabs and will be pretty much all year
I do not see it that way. The Eagles are the best team in the NFC, and the Bills are the best team in the AFC.

But, as usual, when we get to the playoffs, a lot will depend on which teams are most healthy and have some momentum. We shall see...

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I do not see it that way. The Eagles are the best team in the NFC, and the Bills are the best team in the AFC.

But, as usual, when we get to the playoffs, a lot will depend on which teams are most healthy and have some momentum. We shall see...
Also depends on matchup more than anything. I can’t call the Eagles the best team in the nfc there’s too much football left. Talk to me in 10 weeks. My guess is the playoff’s will go through Minnesota but we’ll see

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Also depends on matchup more than anything. I can’t call the Eagles the best team in the nfc there’s too much football left. Talk to me in 10 weeks. My guess is the playoff’s will go through Minnesota but we’ll see
Like I said, Eagles are the best team in the NFC at the moment, but they could be crippled with injuries in the playoffs. Things always change by then.

Vikings will win the North but fold in the playoffs. Cousins will choke and throw interceptions. Also, their defense is inferior to Eagles and 49ers by a mile.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Like I said, Eagles are the best team in the NFC at the moment, but they could be crippled with injuries in the playoffs. Things always change by then.

Vikings will win the North but fold in the playoffs. Cousins will choke and throw interceptions. Also, their defense is inferior to Eagles and 49ers by a mile.
By a mile? We’ve only played 6 games that’ll change drastically by week 18

Scout

Reaction score
CMAC is a good addition to the 49ers but a more expensive J. McKinnon. Whether that elevates the 49ers offense or not remains to be seen.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
By a mile? We’ve only played 6 games that’ll change drastically by week 18

Yes, by a mile. The Bears have one of the worst scoring offenses in the NFL but came back from an 18-pt. deficit to take the lead in the 4th quarter and might have even won the game. We had all the momentum in the second half.

"Drastic" change by week 18? How so? Barring more major trades in the next 10 days, the rosters are set. Some teams (like Bears and Seahawks!) are still trying to get their s*** together, so hopefully will improve some by week 18. But injuries and momentum are the wild cards heading into playoffs every year.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
That contract would make me pause. The injury history on top would make me nervous to pull the trigger. It could be a great move or it could be a disaster. Which is a real tightrope when the trade subject is a RB.

The contract? He's pretty close to free this season, and with nothing guaranteed for next season and no dead cap for cutting him.

What startles me is that they gave up so many picks for a guy who's been unable to stay on the field the last two seasons in a row.

Everybody's talking about all the weapons - Aiyuk, Deebo Samuel, and Kittle, plus McCaffrey now, but both McCaffrey and Kittle appear to be made of glass.

bileever

Reaction score
Reeks of desperation. CMC is a great player, but the cost was too high. 49ers basically have no draft picks next year. Also, with his injury history, this is a risky move. And a lot of mileage on those tires. You're paying a lot for a 6th year running back. Running backs have the shortest careers in the NFL.

Shanahan creates a dynamic running game using no-name RBs. Both him and his dad had the philosophy that it was plug-and-play, it didn't matter who played RB--it was the scheme that drove the run game. With a really good RB, does the 49ers running game get better? I would think so.

Still, a pretty expensive acquisition. If CMC gets hurt, that fan base is going to crucify Lynch and Shanahan.

bileever

Reaction score
The contract? He's pretty close to free this season, and with nothing guaranteed for next season and no dead cap for cutting him.

What startles me is that they gave up so many picks for a guy who's been unable to stay on the field the last two seasons in a row.

Everybody's talking about all the weapons - Aiyuk, Deebo Samuel, and Kittle, plus McCaffrey now, but both McCaffrey and Kittle appear to be made of glass.
Yes, CMC's contract isn't guaranteed after this year, but would you cut someone you gave up 4 draft picks for?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Yes, by a mile. The Bears have one of the worst scoring offenses in the NFL but came back from an 18-pt. deficit to take the lead in the 4th quarter and might have even won the game. We had all the momentum in the second half.

"Drastic" change by week 18? How so? Barring more major trades in the next 10 days, the rosters are set. Some teams (like Bears and Seahawks!) are still trying to get their s*** together, so hopefully will improve some by week 18. But injuries and momentum are the wild cards heading into playoffs every year.
At 3-3 and tied for first I’d say our sh!t is together for the most part. Sure we have a young rookie laden squad with a brand new scheme defensively but If Dickson punts the ball in New Orleans instead of having a brain fart the Hawks would be 4-2. It’s early on in a very long season guy. There’s ebbs and flows to every season for every team. We have a young group of starters in fact the league’s youngest so let’s slow the roll on playoff seeding until we played all the games.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Yes, CMC's contract isn't guaranteed after this year, but would you cut someone you gave up 4 draft picks for?

The 49ers are in the “win Super Bowl now” mode. They are trying to do what the Rams did, which is trade the next couple years’ draft picks to get the guy they think they need to take them to the Promised Land. They see the draft picks as their ticket to the big dance. It worked for the Rams. It might work for the 49ers. They don’t expect McCaffrey to be a long-term player. Their horizon is this season and 2023.

Injury is a risk you take with any player, and they only need him healthy til they win the SB. Sometimes, you just have to take the big risk to get the big reward. In their situation, I think it was a good move.

It is also a good deal for the Panthers to tank 2022 to draft a QB, and they pick up a bunch of draft picks to fill roster holes for their rebuild.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
The 49ers are in the “win Super Bowl now” mode. They are trying to do what the Rams did, which is trade the next couple years’ draft picks to get the guy they think they need to take them to the Promised Land. They see the draft picks as their ticket to the big dance. It worked for the Rams. It might work for the 49ers. They don’t expect McCaffrey to be a long-term player. Their horizon is this season and 2023.

Injury is a risk you take with any player, and they only need him healthy til they win the SB. Sometimes, you just have to take the big risk to get the big reward. In their situation, I think it was a good move.
Who cares. Just means fewer touches for Deebo which is never a good thing. CMC is an elite weapon although 4 picks in succession is a little too rich for my blood

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Who cares. Just means fewer touches for Deebo which is never a good thing. CMC is an elite weapon although 4 picks in succession is a little too rich for my blood

Deebo doesn’t particularly mind not playing RB. Let McCaffrey take over most of the RB work and Deebo can focus on playing WR. That’s what he wants, anyway.

If the gamble works and the 49ers win the Super Bowl, nobody in SF is going to regret giving up the draft picks to get there.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Deebo doesn’t particularly mind not playing RB. Let McCaffrey take over most of the RB work and Deebo can focus on playing WR. That’s what he wants, anyway.

If the gamble works and the 49ers win the Super Bowl, nobody in SF is going to regret giving up the draft picks to get there.
Yeah, no…. They’re not winning anything with Jimmy at quarterback. Period