Matty F. Brown breaks down Seahawks run fits

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Interesting.

I'm sure it's recency bias, but didn't you just know that play was not going to be stopped with the personnel in that alignment?

There's a bunch wrong from the get go; I agree with the comments 'It makes no sense' from a scheme perspective.

Yeah, Mone could have beat his block and changed the whole play, but I don't think the LBs are without responsibility here either.Brooks failed to shift (or enough) when everybody else did, then allows the center to fully engage him. Barton appears to shift as planned, but that's not exactly a good read/react scenario on his part either.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Interesting.

I'm sure it's recency bias, but didn't you just know that play was not going to be stopped with the personnel in that alignment?

There's a bunch wrong from the get go; I agree with the comments 'It makes no sense' from a scheme perspective.

Yeah, Mone could have beat his block and changed the whole play, but I don't think the LBs are without responsibility here either.Brooks failed to shift (or enough) when everybody else did, then allows the center to fully engage him. Barton appears to shift as planned, but that's not exactly a good read/react scenario on his part either.
It's not bad on Barton. He's got to get his gap even if the RB is going the other way to prevent the cut back. After that, he can drop his gap and make his pursuit but if he simply drops his gap early on then we simply have a completely different hole for the RB to hit.

The issue here is multiple on the scheme side: One, why are we DB heavy on 3rd and 2? We're not even a 3-4 here, we've only got 2 DL. We're getting beat up by RBs for like the last 4 straight games and on 3rd and 2 we've got personnel like we're afraid of Sam Darnold? Makes no sense.

Second, as discussed in the video, why are we playing two-gap tech at all? From what I understand, we got away from that right around the time we went on a tear. We just told our guys to play downfield. Ryan Neal seemed very happy with it. Now we're back to two-tech apparently and we're back to the same disastrous results we had in the first 4 games of the year, and this all seemed to start around the time we faced TB12.

That MIGHT have been a reasonable call against a Tampa team that hadn't been running well (or at all, really) with Tom Brady at QB. Reasonable but mistaken. Now we're doing it again against a string of backup QBs and we're getting run over by nobody RBs when just a few short weeks ago we were holding Saquon freakin' Barkley to basically nothing.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It's not bad on Barton. He's got to get his gap even if the RB is going the other way to prevent the cut back. After that, he can drop his gap and make his pursuit but if he simply drops his gap early on then we simply have a completely different hole for the RB to hit.

The issue here is multiple on the scheme side: One, why are we DB heavy on 3rd and 2? We're not even a 3-4 here, we've only got 2 DL. We're getting beat up by RBs for like the last 4 straight games and on 3rd and 2 we've got personnel like we're afraid of Sam Darnold? Makes no sense.

Second, as discussed in the video, why are we playing two-gap tech at all? From what I understand, we got away from that right around the time we went on a tear. We just told our guys to play downfield. Ryan Neal seemed very happy with it. Now we're back to two-tech apparently and we're back to the same disastrous results we had in the first 4 games of the year, and this all seemed to start around the time we faced TB12.

That MIGHT have been a reasonable call against a Tampa team that hadn't been running well (or at all, really) with Tom Brady at QB. Reasonable but mistaken. Now we're doing it again against a string of backup QBs and we're getting run over by nobody RBs when just a few short weeks ago we were holding Saquon freakin' Barkley to basically nothing.
Exactly. This just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I can see 2 DL on a passing down but clearly 3rd and 2 or short is not a passing down. Furthermore the two DL are Mone and Collier. Really Collier? If we are going with a 2 DL then I'd rather it be Mone and Ford (if Woods and Harris aren't available). So many things seem to be out of whack here.

Jville

Reaction score
The requisite is to clear the mind of any prejudice or preferences and examine the time and motion.

The clip is a break down of a play featuring 2-4-5 personnel. The sequence of movements by the two defensive linemen demonstrate a read and react sequence.

The guard across from L.J. Collier comes up out of his stance first and squares up takes to take on Collier who initiates contact and pushes the guard back in spite of the mirroring required of him. Nice win by Collier.

The guard across from Mone comes up out of his stance first and side steps to Mone's right. Mone mirrors but the guard gets underneath and holds him up. Nice technique by the guard.

These play break downs are interesting to play with and most welcomed.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The requisite is to clear the mind of any prejudice or preferences and examine the time and motion.

The clip is a break down of a play featuring 2-4-5 personnel. The sequence of movements by the two defensive linemen demonstrate a read and react sequence.

The guard across from L.J. Collier comes up out of his stance first and squares up takes to take on Collier who initiates contact and pushes the guard back in spite of the mirroring required of him. Nice win by Collier.

The guard across from Mone comes up out of his stance first and side steps to Mone's right. Mone mirrors but the guard gets underneath and holds him up. Nice technique by the guard.

These play break downs are interesting to play with and most welcomed.
Yes Collier pushes his guy back yet doesn't come off him quick enough to stop the running back who is running past him through the gap on his left. I believe he should have come of the block quicker and filled that lane to his left. Where he is lined up at the start of the play is to right of where the QB is. As a DL on that play and if he is pushing toward the QB, isn't it logical that he would want to go left toward where the QB is?

By no means is Collier the only one at fault...Mone and Brooks are to blame as well.

Last edited:

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
that 2 4 5 technique isn't going to stop a run. Terrible. That's plain insanity.

OP
OP
Polk738

Polk738

Reaction score
that 2 4 5 technique isn't going to stop a run. Terrible. That's plain insanity.

They weren't winning in their 5 man fronts either with the 3-3-5 alignment, it didn't seem to matter how much they were loading the box, they were still getting dominated

OP
OP
Polk738

Polk738

Reaction score
Interesting.

This is why these alignments just don't work if you don't have someone on the line who can command a double team without it you have linemen engaging your LBs like we see here, Brooks is too slow and just doesn't have the power to engage a 300lb lineman.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This is why these alignments just don't work if you don't have someone on the line who can command a double team without it you have linemen engaging your LBs like we see here, Brooks is too slow and just doesn't have the power to engage a 300lb lineman.
One would think at 345 pds (the heaviest player on the Seahawk roster) that Bryan Mone would be the guy to take on double teams, etc. But obviously he struggles there. Only Al Woods has shown he can take on double teams on a consistent basis.

Jville

Reaction score
Yes Collier pushes his guy back yet doesn't come off him quick enough to stop the running back who is running past him through the gap on his left. I believe he should have come of the block quicker and filled that lane to his left. Where he is lined up at the start of the play is to right of where the QB is. As a DL on that play and if he is pushing toward the QB, isn't it logical that he would want to go left toward where the QB is?

By no means is Collier the only one at fault...Mone and Brooks are to blame as well.
The center is to Collier's left and moves to close on Brooks who isn't in his gap. The ball carrier is already up field and beyond Collier's arm reach. Collier did his job on that particular play.

Mone has struggled a bit at 2i technique. As Matty has pointed out, Mone is better at 1 technique. When somebody isn't in their gap, ball carriers don't need to dance. They can immediately blow thru the open gap. Reducing the time a lineman has to shed a block and react.

The run play popped because Brooks was not in his assigned gap. Young players get schooled. Brooks is still learning. That's been an underlying story to the explosive plays given up this year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Polk738

Polk738

Reaction score
One would think at 345 pds (the heaviest player on the Seahawk roster) that Bryan Mone would be the guy to take on double teams, etc. But obviously he struggles there. Only Al Woods has shown he can take on double teams on a consistent basis.

You would think but I believe it comes more down to skill, strength and use of leverage within the position you are playing, Shelby Harris is under 300lbs but is easily one of the more skilled lineman in this scheme.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The center is to Collier's left and moves to close on Brooks who isn't in his gap. The ball carrier is already up field and beyond Collier's arm reach. Collier did his job on that particular play.

Mone has struggled a bit at 2i technique. As Matty has pointed out, Mone is better at 1 technique. When somebody isn't in their gap, ball carriers don't need to dance. They can immediately blow thru the open gap. Reducing the time a lineman has to shed a block and react.

The run play popped because Brooks was not in his assigned gap. Young players get schooled. Brooks is still learning. That's been an underlying story to the explosive plays given up this year.
I've noticed Brooks looks a bit lost at times this year. It's why I scoffed at anyone who said he was a pro-bowl linebacker this season. He's been a problem, sometimes a bigger problem than the much maligned Barton.

OP
OP
Polk738

Polk738

Reaction score
I've noticed Brooks looks a bit lost at times this year. It's why I scoffed at anyone who said he was a pro-bowl linebacker this season. He's been a problem, sometimes a bigger problem than the much maligned Barton.

He was even worse last night

Fade

Reaction score
I've been saying this myself. It falls on def ears. They don't want to hear it. He was a 1st rd pick, and have you seen his tackle stat? End of conversation.

OP
OP
Polk738

Polk738

Reaction score
I've been saying this myself. It falls on def ears. They don't want to hear it. He was a 1st rd pick, and have you seen his tackle stat? End of conversation.

At the very least it'll be interesting to see if Tanner Muse can do the job with Barton telling him where he needs to be

Jville

Reaction score
Tanner Muse was signed to Seattle's practice squad on September 8, 2021. He's a former safety that has been asked to transition to linebacker. I would welcome some meaningful game snaps on defense. That would give Brooks a well deserved game off and breather to reflect on the season.

With regards to Brooks and Barton, their play this season has exceeded their pay grades.