Mariners trade Eugenio Suárez to Diamondbacks for 2 players

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I’ve also heard the Mariners are comfortable moving forward with Luis Urias as the starting 3B. Yes, we are okay starting a guy who just hit under .200 last season. This has AJ Pollock written all over it.

We now have holes at 1B, DH, 2B, 3B, RF and LF. Somehow we’ve managed to create more holes than fix them since entering the offseason.

Obviously we will fill some of them in, but this will be another frustrating season where the Mariners cut corners and come up short. They also came out and said they are out on Ohtani, before the bidding even began.

Xxx

Reaction score
I’ve also heard the Mariners are comfortable moving forward with Luis Urias as the starting 3B. Yes, we are okay starting a guy who just hit under .200 last season. This has AJ Pollock written all over it.

We now have holes at 1B, DH, 2B, 3B, RF and LF. Somehow we’ve managed to create more holes than fix them since entering the offseason.

Obviously we will fill some of them in, but this will be another frustrating season where the Mariners cut corners and come up short. They also came out and said they are out on Ohtani, before the bidding even began.
There is no other acceptable move for me than ohtani. Give him everything. Make him owner. I don’t care.

NoGain

Reaction score
This is another one of those Dipoto/Mariner moves that's about as exciting as cold oatmeal. I'm fine with moving on from Suarez. I think Cal, Julio, and probably JP are our only position players that would raise my eyebrow if we moved on from.

The ownership group sucks donkey balls. I want a billionaire owner who wants to win. We deserve it. Ohtani...sure...what team wouldn't want him? But it's a hard sell to a player who's eager to get out of baseball purgatory. The Mariners finally lost me some years ago by their utter ineptitude. Then they started to lure me back in with their rebuild. But just when they achieve some sort relevant status again, they go cheap. Every knowledgeable Mariner fan knew we were short bats, and that fact played out much like those of us thought it would.

I do appreciate the way the franchise makes the Mariner experience entertaining to the casual fan. But that's just it. It's "Pleasantville" all over again. Seen it, been there, done it before.

I need more. A lot more. I wish more Mariner fans felt that way and expressed as much in one way or another. We need a fan base with higher expectations.

sutz

Reaction score
I hadn't heard that they are "comfortable" with Urias at 3d. I did hear that given our current roster he pencils in as the current 3d baseman. Winter meeting start in a couple of weeks, that's when the wheeling and dealing really starts for trades. I'm certainly hoping there are behind the scenes shadow negotiations going on with Ohtani's crew. He seems to have roots here. He won't pitch in '24, it seems, but he's still a top bat.

Reactions: Xxx

bileever

Reaction score
Did anyone else hear Jon Morosi from MLB network on KIRO radio? He likes the Suarez trade, doesn't think that the Mariners intend to use Urias at 3B and thinks that Dipoto is trying to sign one of the top 3B free agents: