Lynch or Russell W - who is more valuable to the Seahawks?

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
It's Wilson and I can statistically prove it.

DYAR is defense adjusted yards ABOVE REPLACEMENT. We can look right at Wilson's replacement, TJack. We had the LOB, Lynch, etc. with TJack at the helm and the next season with Wilson at the helm.

2011 TJack had 161 DYAR passing, -6.0% DVOA
rushing -11 DYAR -19.1% DVOA

2012 Wilson passing 872 DYAR 19.7% DVOA
rushing 147 DYAR 22.3% DVOA

The Difference: passing 711 DYAR 25.7% DVOA
rushing 158 DYAR 41.4% DVOA

Meanwhile,

2011 Lynch 201 DYAR 8.9% DVOA
2012 Lynch 361 DYAR 19.2% DVOA

A gain of 160 rushing DYAR.

What happened on the field?

Total offense:
2011: Total-4861 (28th) passing- 3105 (22nd) rushing- 1756 (21st) Lynch 1204 TJack 108
2012: Total-5610 (17th) Passing- 3031 (27th) rushing- 2579 (3rd) Lynch 1590 Wilson 489
Points scored: 2012: 412 2011: 321

The gain in offense came on the ground, with Wilson and Lynch basically splitting the gain in offensive production between them. Notice that the gain of 160 DYAR by Lynch is equalled by the gain of 158 rushing DYAR over Tjack by Wilson and that is perfectly reflected on the field where Lynch rushed for 386 yds more in 2012 and Wilson rushed for 381 yds more than TJack had the previous year.

But even though Wilson had significant gains in passing DYAR over TJack, the actual yardage passing was less. It was the QUALITY of those passing yards, not the quantity, that made Wilson a much better passer than TJack. More third down conversions. MANY more points.

Wilson 26 TD's 10 INTS, TJack 14 TD 13 INT's.

Notice this time that while our offense gained ALL of it's yardage production on the ground, they gained ALL of their scoring production in the air. 2012 scored 91 more points than 2011. Wilson threw 12 more TD's than TJack.

So a more effective passing game, gaining more points for equal yardage, and an increase in rushing that is equal for both Lynch and Wilson. We went from 7-9 to 11-5 and one stupid prevent defense call away from the NFCCG.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JTB":vjo0ckdr said:
QB is more valuable. No way the Seahawks are 42-14 the last 3 years without very good to great QB play. Queue the 2010/2011 game film.

And this is coming from someone who loves Lynch and thinks he's a HOF RB.
No way they are 42-14 without Beast,the record would be 9-7 or 10-6 at best with no Championships..This is coming from a guy who loves our QB but knows they both go hand in hand along with the defense.

Hawks46

Reaction score
v1rotv2":3pc4yulr said:
RW. Lynch is in the twilight of his career and RW has 10 to 12 years left. While Lynch is a one of a kind back he is far more replaceable to an acceptable level than RW. I want them both but if I had to choose to keep one RW would be the one.

I would've said the same thing, but I honestly think Lynch was more valuable to us last year. Wilson is pretty close, in that with the RO, he opens stuff up for Lynch, and takes stuff for him self, but Lynch is just more consistent right now.

I do agree Wilson is more valuable over all due to age.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
Bucs are taking a QB first overall and that happens most years teams want to find the franchise QB which is much much harder to fill as a need than RB bad thread and question IMO.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
I believe the team would do better with RW and a league average starting RB than they would with Marshawn and a league average starting QB...so I have to say RW.

hawksurething

Reaction score
This is not even debatable...

Hawks with Lynch = 7-9. I love me some Lynch though. He is a great person very real.

Hawks with Wilson = winning season,the best statistical 3 years in history & 2 Superbowls with 1 ring. Very real too.

Lynch had all but 38 yards in the Superbowl win where WILSON HAD A monster GAME.

while lynch had a monster game in the Superbowl loss ALONG with Wilson,but failed in the red zone due to passing to below average WRs like lockett. Lynch could have walked that ball in.

As we have seen Coaches will throw it at the 1 yard line rather than run it with the game on the line in the passing ERA ! It is psychological ;)

This is why hawks must get 2 amazing WRs on the outsides with doug in the slot. Psychology 101.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
It's Wilson, without his threat of being a dual QB they would stack the box on Lynch and could shut him out if he was with an average QB. With the read option it makes Lynch/Wilson combo even more dangerous. On broken plays Wilson was able to start throwing the ball to Lynch and Lynch leads in TD (4) for receiving. Teams were stacking up the box for Lynch, that's why they started throwing to Lynch instead. That pretty much tells you how bad our passing offense was without a clear WR threat for other teams to defend.

I hope we do pass to Lynch a bit more for this season. To help throw off some teams, but I'm hoping we have some threat at the WR/TE position.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
hawksurething":3lu0zgf3 said:

Hawks with Lynch = 7-9. I love me some Lynch though. He is a great person very real.

Hawks with Wilson = winning season,the best statistical 3 years in history & 2 Superbowls with 1 ring. Very real too.

Lynch had all but 38 yards in the Superbowl win where WILSON HAD A monster GAME.

while lynch had a monster game in the Superbowl loss ALONG with Wilson,but failed in the red zone due to passing to below average WRs like lockett. Lynch could have walked that ball in.

As we have seen Coaches will throw it at the 1 yard line rather than run it with the game on the line in the passing ERA ! It is psychological ;)

This is why hawks must get 2 amazing WRs on the outsides with doug in the slot. Psychology 101.
You just don't stop on WR's..I almost don't want any because you won't be happy unless we have all pros at every wr spot.Just admit that much.

crosfam

Reaction score
Russell is more valuable. We could still wind the division with Russell at QB and Turbin/Michael at RB. With say - Josh McCown or Matt Flynn and Lynch, we can't. Not to say we don't need or want Lynch. He still has been the most effective back in the leage. Hope he earns every penny of that 12 million and runs it in for the SB50 win next year.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jake206":1q7sjb16 said:
why is this even a question.
This^ The OP would have us believe that we could just have Wilson take a seat, put Tarvaris Jackson in there to hand the ball of to ML, and the Seahawks Offense wouldn't miss a beat? SMH.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawksurething":25wo9x86 said:

Holy Shit Surething , you need to get ahold of Pete Carroll and set his dumb ass straight, cuz he ain't going to get anywhere without taking your expertise advise, eh? :34853_doh:

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2ozcsnq6 said:
jake206":2ozcsnq6 said:
why is this even a question.
This^ The OP would have us believe that we could just have Wilson take a seat, put Tarvaris Jackson in there to hand the ball of to ML, and the Seahawks Offense wouldn't miss a beat? SMH.

Just a tip....it helps to read the whole post before commenting. I said this in the original post - I think it's suffice to say that both players feed off each other and both are valuable in their own respects.

How does that make anyone believe that I feel Lynch is more important that Russell Wilson? I said both are equally important to the team. I started this thread to open a discussion....folks if you don't like a thread you don't have to participate in it. If you don't like it, then why are you responding to it? Those of you who have responded in earnest, thank you. I appreciate and respect your opinions.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":d8h5az7j said:
This is like asking what's more important in a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup the chocolate or the peanut butter? Though if I had to choose it would be Russell Wilson without a doubt. Marshawn Lynch has maybe 2-3 years left and is a running back in a league that is built around the quarterback. Russell Wilson is a quarterback that is 25-26 years old that could realistically play at an elite level for another 10-12 years because of the rules the game has mandated.

But is Wilson the chocolate or the peanut butter?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2ovpvn3i said:
MizzouHawkGal":2ovpvn3i said:
This is like asking what's more important in a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup the chocolate or the peanut butter? Though if I had to choose it would be Russell Wilson without a doubt. Marshawn Lynch has maybe 2-3 years left and is a running back in a league that is built around the quarterback. Russell Wilson is a quarterback that is 25-26 years old that could realistically play at an elite level for another 10-12 years because of the rules the game has mandated.

But is Wilson the chocolate or the peanut butter?

He's not chocolate enough...

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Ask yourself how good we were with t jack before russ. QB is the most important position.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Neither are more valuable...

Gotta love offseason topics... :17:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
We don't sniff the Super owl with out either of them the last two seasons. If I have to pick one of over the other though I have to pick the QB because top ones seem to be harder to come by. It's close though.