Good News. The D is Blitzing More

Fade

Reaction score
So on the 1st series, it was softzone, vanilla rush, and they gave up two more 3rd down conversions, the drive luckily stalled out and Carolina only got 3 points.

But as the game wore on, the Seahawks Defense began to show more and more pressure based looks, and started blitzing to success. This is good news. As even Pete/Hurtt recognize it's the way they are going to need to play if they want to be a good defense.

Though they ultimately surrendered 27 points to a backup QB with the worst set of weapons in the NFL at home.
A groundwork was laid in this game that can take them to middle of the pack when Woolen and Adams get on the field. Besides, Mike Jackson had a coverage bust TD, and another TD was in garbage time. The Seahawks realistically only gave up 13 points.

The final results (27 points) were not ideal, but their process on defense is on the right track here. They still need a better DC than can scheme their pressure based looks better, mask the coverages behind it, etc. An upgrade at DC more than anywhere else on the team besides what's going on at LT currently would do them wonders.

Stone Forsythe had a horrible game, but what did you expect? He was going against Burns one of the best DEs in football. The Seahawks offense was terrible for 2 quarters and still put up 37 points. Zach was trucking fools, and Bobo caught a TD. They have too many weapons on offense and only 1 football. The one thing I noticed is, when they get the TEs involved that's when the offense clicks. So keep using those TEs, and get them involved earlier in the game, the TEs would also be a big boost to their red zone offense. Has a TE even had a target in the end zone yet through 3 games?

Walker is getting too many carries and will inevitably get injured if they don't lighten his load. Zach needs more. It feels good knowing if the starting RB gets injured, they will not skip a beat. Zach's physical style to me should make him the starter. And K9 would be the change of pace back. But whatevs, they're both good so... split the carries.

Polk738

Reaction score
I think the secondary for sure will start to improve once all the full time starters get out there and start to build chemistry, Witherspoon is already showing why he is a first round pick

Capture

LTH

Reaction score
So on the 1st series, it was softzone, vanilla rush, and they gave up two more 3rd down conversions, the drive luckily stalled out and Carolina only got 3 points.

But as the game wore on, the Seahawks Defense began to show more and more pressure based looks, and started blitzing to success. This is good news. As even Pete/Hurtt recognize it's the way they are going to need to play if they want to be a good defense.

Though they ultimately surrendered 27 points to a backup QB with the worst set of weapons in the NFL at home.
A groundwork was laid in this game that can take them to middle of the pack when Woolen and Adams get on the field. Besides, Mike Jackson had a coverage bust TD, and another TD was in garbage time. The Seahawks realistically only gave up 13 points.

The final results (27 points) were not ideal, but their process on defense is on the right track here. They still need a better DC than can scheme their pressure based looks better, mask the coverages behind it, etc. An upgrade at DC more than anywhere else on the team besides what's going on at LT currently would do them wonders.

Stone Forsythe had a horrible game, but what did you expect? He was going against Burns one of the best DEs in football. The Seahawks offense was terrible for 2 quarters and still put up 37 points. Zach was trucking fools, and Bobo caught a TD. They have too many weapons on offense and only 1 football. The one thing I noticed is, when they get the TEs involved that's when the offense clicks. So keep using those TEs, and get them involved earlier in the game, the TEs would also be a big boost to their red zone offense. Has a TE even had a target in the end zone yet through 3 games?

Walker is getting too many carries and will inevitably get injured if they don't lighten his load. Zach needs more. It feels good knowing if the starting RB gets injured, they will not skip a beat. Zach's physical style to me should make him the starter. And K9 would be the change of pace back. But whatevs, they're both good so... split the carries.
Just curious what you know about that two TE in the back field to Geno's right. Gregg Bell said it was a pistol formation used for pass protection but they are doing much more out of that formation they are running and passing out of it... big plays out of that formation. What do you know about it ? Where did it come from? Is it a McVay thing or are we seeing creativity from Waldron?
I tried to research it but I found nothing.

LTH

nanomoz

Reaction score
More TEs and aggressive blitzes should be the starting point from here on out. Should.
I don't know why they'd even consider leaving Forsythe on an island with Burns. That's deep-stupid territory. But they did adjust.

Witherspoon is beginning to make a difference. Which is fantastic.

cymatica

Reaction score
Just curious what you know about that two TE in the back field to Geno's right. Gregg Bell said it was a pistol formation used for pass protection but they are doing much more out of that formation they are running and passing out of it... big plays out of that formation. What do you know about it ? Where did it come from? Is it a McVay thing or are we seeing creativity from Waldron?

LTH
The Pistol isn't new. 49ers used it a bunch with Kaepernick, we used it once in a while with Wilson in his first few years. This looks like a slight variation of it designed to take advantage of the TEs.

sutz

Reaction score

LTH
One of the important things we were supposed to be seeing going forward is injecting some unpredictability into the game plan and playcalling. During the game the announcers were commenting that having the two TE in the backfield like that was equivalent to having two pulling guards on that side of the field. That should help that zone blocked run right play.

Part of the deception is in calling plays where the pre-snap formation doesn't give away what the play is going to be, thus the idea of going to that formation, for example, several times during a game and calling run plays and pass plays from it.

I'm liking them finally pulling our offense into the 21st Century. ;)

NoGain

Reaction score
The Seahawks offense played decent all game long against a very good Panther defense. Sure, we came up short in the red zone more than I would have liked, but they moved the ball and moved the chains more often than not all game long. Sometimes it just takes awhile to break a lesser team.

LTH

Reaction score
The Pistol isn't new. 49ers used it a bunch with Kaepernick, we used it once in a while with Wilson in his first few years. This looks like a slight variation of it designed to take advantage of the TEs.
I read that the pistol O was made popular by Nevada reno in 2004 but I can't find this formation any where so I THINK it is Waldron getting creative... I'm liking this formation a bunch as there are so many things that can be done from it. So far they have used this formation 2 times a game for big gains.

LTH

Mad Dog

Reaction score

When did Adam Thielen become an awful weapon?

olyfan63

Reaction score
I noticed that Dalton was consistently under pressure a LOT more than QBs in previous games, and the pressure led directly to numerous rushed, errant throws. (I only got to see RedZone, out of coverage area) If blitzing more, and more creatively, was the change responsible, I'm all for it! Perhaps Clint Hurtt has taken some initiative with the D that led to this adjustment. It feels like the defense has taken steps forward each of the last two games. One thing for sure, if Carolina was able to batter us on the ground like they did last time, and win with that, they certainly would have done it.

In other news, as Nanomoz said, "I don't know why they'd even consider leaving Forsythe on an island with Burns. That's deep-stupid territory. But they did adjust."

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
The one thing I noticed is, when they get the TEs involved that's when the offense clicks. So keep using those TEs, and get them involved earlier in the game, the TEs would also be a big boost to their red zone offense. Has a TE even had a target in the end zone yet through 3 games?
Been saying it since Munich.

I feel like a broken record. For the 946th time: When the TE room is involved, good things happen for us.

Scout

Reaction score
If the Hawks want to play quarters or off coverage they need to send an extra blitzer. The point of quarters or off coverage or any zone defense is to make a break on the ball with athletic DBs by forcing a QB to throw before he is ready.

We saw that against the Panthers where the Hawks were able to disrupt enough to slow down all other parts of the Panthers O. But the Hawks had trouble finding a way to stop Thielen running inside routes but that is a function of the team having issues with injuries IMO.

Wagner was picked on a lot but late in the game made a play on the ball that was meant for Thielen.