Lions QB Jared Goff agrees to $212 million extension

Torc

Reaction score
Brendon Nelson did a YouTube video on the signing comparing Geno to Goff insinuating the Hawks should extend Geno ASAP
Whether you're a Geno fan or not, it makes sense to see how well both he and Howell work with Grubb and run his offense before making any long term commitments. I'm a Geno fan and think he is good enough to take a super bowl caliber team all the way.....but I want to see how he handles this offensive scheme.

BASF

Reaction score
Where are all of the "but Goff won a playoff game and Geno failed to score six touchdowns against the best defense that season" posters?

Do I have all of you on ignore?

NoGain

Reaction score
Goff doesn't much excite me as a QB, but you could do worse. 170 million plus guaranteed for a guy who's not even great? Were they bidding against themselves? Oh well. Good for him.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
If anything Goff was proof until he got paid, that if you surround a decent game
manager with an offense and a D that you will go far.
Wait..We had that until Me3 got paid and our deep playoff runs ended.

Rat

Reaction score
Campbell/Goff is one of the league's worst HC/QB combos, and they extend both? Glad we won't have to worry about the Lions for a while.

NoGain

Reaction score
So they should extend Geno purely as a reactionary move to Goff's extension? Um, no.
The thing is teams are starting to bid against themselves for these QB's. I mean, how many other teams were lined up to offer Goff 52 million a year? How many teams were lined up to pay Daniel Jones? How much of an overpay is Miami going to pay for Tua? I mean, look what Fields ended up with.

It's really crazy.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
The only way Goff will ever silence is critics is to win a Super Bowl. Same applies to Cousins, Watson, Prescott, etc. $200 million QBs.
From my perspective, it's not a matter of criticizing Goff, it's a matter of it being idiotic to pay a single player that much of a team's salary cap.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Goff doesn’t seem to me to be the kind of QB that can carry a team through adversity. He took a stacked, well-coached team to the precipice of the finish line, and was stoned by one of the most brilliant defensive minds and game plans of the last era. When it was up to him to carry the load, he failed miserably.

Still, when compared to those just outside top ten money, I would likely take Goff over most of them.

Prescott, Jones, Rodgers, Carr, Mayfield, Smith, Love, Minshew, Darnold, Williams, Young….

A reasonable argument could be made for taking Rodgers, Smith, and Love over Goff, but it would be close.

It really speaks to how ridiculous the QB salaries are getting (as a percentage of cap).

Of the top ten paid QBs, only one has won a Super Bowl, and only 3 have appeared in Super Bowls. Only 2 of the top 10 have a playoff record above 500.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The only way Goff will ever silence is critics is to win a Super Bowl. Same applies to Cousins, Watson, Prescott, etc. $200 million QBs.
Well, Goff has done a hell of a lot more than Geno ever has, so there is that. Dude has already been in a SB and should have been in a 2nd one. That wasn't on him, that was Campbell being beyond stupid and not taking the points and the win. Too much money for him? Absolutely. But he certainly is a good QB. And sometimes, you're just the next guy up. More power to the players for getting their $.

Last edited:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Well, Goff has done a hell of a lot more than Geno ever has, so there is that. Dude has already been in a SB and should have been in a 2nd one. That wasn't on him, that was Campbell being beyond stupid and not taking the points and the win.
I agree. Campbell needs to get his testosterone under control.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Left 2 field goals out there. Beyond stupid. Big difference between being aggressive and being really dumb. I like him as a coach, but at some point, do the damn math. They had no business losing that NFC Championship. Game was right there for the taking. Literally handed it to them.