light bulb

John63

Reaction score
So I went back and looked at all out games this season and the last couple. I came to the conclusion it is not Wilson who needs the run game. It is the oline. PC has created a strong run blocking oline that is weak on pass blocking. But a good run game mitigates the pass rush, allowing them to be passable for the most part.

Also, last night was the closest to the offensive scheme of the first 5 games we have seen since. Quick passing, screens, QB running, moving the pocket, and changing tempo and snap time. Things that have been missing the 4 games prior. Now the question is why, I can only conclude it was a lack of trust in our RBs at the time.

olyfan63

Reaction score
John63":10cka0qq said:
So I went back and looked at all out games this season and the last couple. I came to the conclusion it is not Wilson who needs the run game. It is the oline. PC has created a strong run blocking oline that is weak on pass blocking. But a good run game mitigates the pass rush, allowing them to be passable for the most part.

Also, last night was the closest to the offensive scheme of the first 5 games we have seen since. Quick passing, screens, QB running, moving the pocket, and changing tempo and snap time. Things that have been missing the 4 games prior. Now the question is why, I can only conclude it was a lack of trust in our RBs at the time.

Interesting and thoughtful post! Makes sense, overall. I think that Schotty woke up. Against all the blitzing the Hawks have seen the last few weeks, Schotty finally made adjustments, instead of leaving it all in Russell's lap. Game-planning in some screens, yes, moving the pocket as you said, and having shorter routes in the mix. The run game sure helped.

I think your point about the O-Line being built for the running game is particularly true in a couple instances. G Jordan Simmons is terrific in run blocking, not that great in pass pro. Damien Lewis is another guy, stronger in run blocking but improving rapidly in the pass pro stuff. I'm sure you're right about the RBs coming up to speed as well. Hyde and Dallas, especially Dallas. Homer is good in pass pro and as a receiver but not much of an inside run game threat.

I'm chalking it up to Russell + Schotty reviewing film together, discussing how to beat the variable blitz stuff that had been killing us the last few weeks, and getting on the same page. Russell made much better decisions as well.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Greg Bell has been saying same for several years. A good run game does slow down the pass rush.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
StoneCold":1zd3m45y said:
Greg Bell has been saying same for several years. A good run game does slow down the pass rush.

I agree but alot said that was because Wilson needed a run game to perform, when the reality like every QB Wilson needs pass blocking and with the way our oline is built they need a run game to up their pass blocking. That and going back to what worked the first 5 games

sutz

Reaction score
A strong run game unlocks the play action passing game, and the slight slowdown it encourages in the pass rush allows the receivers to get deeper on the routes we like to throw. People kept saying how we need more short passing, but that's not what we're good at, really. We can do it when necessary, but it's not our core strength.

Thurs night really was a demonstration of Pete ball. He doesn't want a WCO style precision passing game for 3-5 yard gains, he wants chunk plays from the passing game, and running well sets that up.

getnasty

Reaction score
John63":pe1d6ipq said:
StoneCold":pe1d6ipq said:

I agree but alot said that was because Wilson needed a run game to perform, when the reality like every QB Wilson needs pass blocking and with the way our oline is built they need a run game to up their pass blocking. That and going back to what worked the first 5 games

So teams not being able to pin their ears back because they actaully have to play the run which helps the OL pass block better, which helps Russell. So yes Russ needs a run game too.

BandWagon11Hawk

Reaction score
sutz":30merjbe said:
Thurs night really was a demonstration of Pete ball. He doesn't want a WCO style precision passing game for 3-5 yard gains, he wants chunk plays from the passing game, and running well sets that up.

What? How big are your definition of chunks? Nearly all plays below 11 yards or under.

The first two TD drives by my count were:
Pass plays (10 yard/under) - 4
Run plays - 6 (including scrambles)
TD 27 yards

Run plays - 4 (including scrambles)
TD 11 yards

Pretty bizarre we all see what we want to see. I saw this game as a validation of a mixed run/short game to set up timely long strikes being the answer. And you see it (somehow I don't understand) proving against short pass plays.

I guess you're saying the WCO wouldn't use the run at all?

Or if you're saying big chunks is quick blitz beaters for 8 yards, I'm OK if we run with that also.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
BandWagon11Hawk":mnboao7e said:
sutz":mnboao7e said:

What? How big are your definition of chunks? Nearly all plays below 11 yards or under.

The first two TD drives by my count were:
Run plays - 6 (including scrambles)
TD 27 yards

Run plays - 4 (including scrambles)
TD 11 yards

Pretty bizarre we all see what we want to see. I saw this game as a validation of a mixed run/short game to set up timely long strikes being the answer. And you see it (somehow I don't understand) proving against short pass plays.

I guess you're saying the WCO wouldn't use the run at all?

Or if you're saying big chunks is quick blitz beaters for 8 yards, I'm OK if we run with that also.

What we saw was the same thing we saw the first 5 games and got away form the following 4. Hopefully we will stick with it now.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":1o0qnv9y said:

The implication that the offensive line is bad at pass blocking is fairly weak. They're actually 6th in pass block win rate. They're consistently high in sacks because Russell is consistently holding the ball longer than 90% of the other starting quarterbacks, both due to scheme and due to his play style. Sacks are increasingly being revealed as mostly a quarterback statistic.

Subjective analysis backs this up, too. 4 of 5 Seattle starting lineman are graded above 70 by PFF. As I recall, you put a lot of stock into PFF's rankings, seeing as you used a 22-snap sample grading from them as the sole determination of Ethan Pocic's worth prior to the beginning of the season.

Furthermore, I'm not convinced about your claim that the scheme somehow reverted to a quicker passing game vs. Arizona, seeing as Russell's time to throw was higher than his season average of 2.96 at 3.05.

nwHawk

Reaction score
The unconditional support for Russ is impressive. Makes me flash back to when "ACFan" used to post here before Alex Collins got cut. Every QB needs a run game. It makes our team better. Simple as that. Russ is an excellent QB. But we need a strong balanced team if the Hawks are going to bring home another Lombardi.

chris98251

Reaction score
The quicker passing game was due to the defense Arizona likes to use, they blitz like hell, instead of forcing the long ball and the repercussions they went with what was given, a running game took advantage of the Blitz's also allowing lanes to run in.

They made adjustments and got some health back at key positions, as of right now it is an outlier till we see more games, good outlier but not a prediction of whats going to happen going forward.

I expect the run game to be maintained, but Pete likes chunk or break out plays deep, 20 yards or more.

Latest posts