Let's Get This One Thing Straight…

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Look, pittpnthrs is on record & has actually posted that he wants Pete gone & does not care whether the change works & we have to endure a series of 4-12 seasons as a result.

He's just ready for a change & wants to see if he's right that it's Pete that holding us back.

You'd think he'd change his tune slightly after seeing RW floundering in a different situation & Pete's confidence with & work with a supposed "terrible" QB but here we are.

In his mind Pete still has no idea what he's looking at when it comes to football & will continue to hold us back as he changes the definition of "Peteball" to suit his narrative.
If pittpnthrs just hates PC that bad..Think if Pete was gone after last season
and #3 stayed with Hackett being hired.
I highly doubt he'd not be caring then

hawks85

Reaction score
The Seahawks were supposed to be terrible this year because they were supposed to have nothing at QB. NOT because the defense was gonna suck.

Instead they hit the lottery with a top 5 level player at the position and can't do anything with it. Just like it's been for the last 8 seasons. Nothing's changed. The QB has to play at a near perfect level to win games consistently because so many of the other parts around him are floundering.

So, I was pointing out how they needed to go back to the old defense midway through the ATL game early in the season. They finally did this in the first AZ game and had instant results for a month.

Way better than I could have ever anticipated. I was expecting improvement, mainly due to personnel fit. But they played like a top 5 defense.

I then pointed out that teams were going to dust off the old Pete Carroll beaters, and start to adjust, with Seattle's defense declining back to what it looked like under Norton eventually, but it fell off far bigger, and way faster that it is hardly believable there were ever playing at a top 5 level, though they in fact were.

Adjustments. Seattle is being outmaneuvered on the chess board. Hurtt is in over his head. Pete can't be a full time babysitter.

However, as bad as the defense played. McDaniels chose to chip and double Nwosu a lot, taking Seattle's best pass rusher out of the game. Meanwhile Seattle chose to let Maxx Crosby go 1-on-1 against a rookie all game with no help, and then acted surprised when he impacted the game. This isn't a new thing, either.

It's the lack of attention to detail that I've been harping on for YEARS that will always hold the Seahawks back. Contrary to what a lot of Seahawks fans believe, you don't need the most talented team by far in the league to win the Superbowl. Pete does, to overcome his sloppiness, and this is where it gets misconstrued.

Pete wants to run the ball. (Can't run the ball.)
Pete wants to play great defense (Can't play great defense.)
How many seasons do you need to see before you realize it isn't gonna happen? It doesn't take 10 years to build a defense. It takes 1 to turn it around, and it takes 2 to fully build it. And it takes a 3rd year to put it over the top if necessary. If the right people are in place.

If things were simple, you'd hire an actual Defensive Coordinator. One of the best in the league, given Seattle's resources. But, y'see - Pete and the Defense are a packaged deal. Like Holmgren and his offense were.

If you want the defense to change you're gonna need Pete to promote himself up to an executive position, or fire him as the coach. Otherwise the same issues we've been discussing for YEARS will continue to happen.

The Defense is vet filled. They are not young. (They are young at CB, obviously.) That excuse doesn't fly, and is a cop out. Their D-Line I'd argue is too old, but I digress.

I tried to warn people they were giving Pete too much of JS's and Geno's deserved credit. That is where I give most of the credit for this season. I give Pete credit for developing the young DBs, but most of Pete's issues that have been on display are still intact. Nothing has changed.

Pete has given away the ATL, NO, TB, and LV games. 80% of the teams losses lay at the feet of Pete Carroll, and his underling Hurtt, blowing it by not even showing up on defense. Play at a 24th in the league level in those games and those are all wins.

Pete could've had a 12 win season given the schedule with so many weak opponents and a top 5 QB, even make a playoff run, but he just can't help himself. Pete gonna Pete.

Draft picks are not going to fix this defense. They of course could use better personnel, every team could. Their biggest issues are coaching and scheme related.

Having D-Lineman lineup in the same technique's over and over as you're getting burned repeatedly with no adjustments isn't a talent issue. I mean how many times do you have to keep putting your hand on the hotstove and realize it's actually hot?

At this point, Hurtt has singed off all of his fingers and he still keeps doing it. Bad Hire, and Pete is responsible for said hire.

I understand Pete will continue to get a pass, and nothing will change. That is what makes it frustrating for so many Seahawks fans.
The overall D doesn't suck, it's that Run D that needs to be fixed. Their Pass D is fine. They fix that Run D this team will be very very dangerous

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
95% of the league would kill to have had our level of "habitual results" success over the past decade.

Again, perspective. You lack it in spades.

They would like that Super Bowl win in 2013, but what else would they want? Constant early round exits isnt very desirable in my opinion.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
They would like that Super Bowl win in 2013, but what else would they want? Constant early round exits isnt very desirable in my opinion.
Most franchises would take consistent playoff appearances over getting in once/twice sprinkled in with mostly .500 or below seasons

Surely you haven't become this spoiled as a fan?

Donn2390

Reaction score
Russ had two bad years here after carrying the team for years. Wilson carried the team to playoff appearances and conference titles while the Pro Bowl caliber Geno Smith will be lucky to take the team to a .500 record. The defense has been crap for years now. Russ has done everything Geno has done, but only way better.
This one really shows you total ignorance and closed mind. Quit while you're far behind, unless you enjoy getting ridiculed..

Donn2390

Reaction score
Any team can vie for a division title if the other teams in the conference fall off a cliff. Seattle is a perfect example of that. The 49ers are going to run away with the division anyways and we both know that, so its all a moot point. As for Pete's success? One measly Super Bowl with that roster? Any coach could have won at least one with that all star team.

Lets just see how far this team goes in the remainder of Pete's tenure. If they ever make it past the second round of the playoffs, i'll eat crow. I highly doubt that is ever going to happen though.
I suggest you find another team to follow until Pete retires, it will save your sanity, and save us from listing to you ill-informed chatter. We will give you a call and let you know when it's safe to return. wait there..

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Yep, it is. 3rd most playoff wins in the past decade.

You must only watch Seahawk games, and don't pay attention to the rest of the league. Because if you did, you'd know that our team's level of success is rare, and to fire your HC who's responsible for 75% of that sustained winning is insane.

That's why I asked how old you were, because you must also have amnesia about what bad NFL football looks like, or how depressing it is to root for a team that never has a chance to make the playoffs on September 1st.

Cause I sure as hell remember, and I'd rather not go back to those bleak depressing times.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
The reason for the early round exists have largely been because Russell Wilson is an average quarterback in the playoffs. He's too inconsistent.

Do a stat analysis of Russell's playoff wins and losses going back 5 years of playoff appearance. The wins are impressive but the losses show why Seattle failed to make it far.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Most franchises would take consistent playoff appearances over getting in once/twice sprinkled in with mostly .500 or below seasons

Surely you haven't become this spoiled as a fan?

Sorry, I dont understand this line of thinking. Seattle had consistent playoff appearances from 2015 on, but everybody knew they were never going to go anywhere once they were in, so what was the point?

Oh dont tell me you were one of those that held out hope and lived by the motto that anything can happen once in the playoffs. I see where our opinions differ now.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I suggest you find another team to follow until Pete retires, it will save your sanity, and save us from listing to you ill-informed chatter. We will give you a call and let you know when it's safe to return. wait there..

Nah. I'm not one of those 'I told you so' fans, but in this case, i'll think i'll stick around and do just that.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Yep, it is. 3rd most playoff wins in the past decade.

You must only watch Seahawk games, and don't pay attention to the rest of the league. Because if you did, you'd know that our team's level of success is rare, and to fire your HC who's responsible for 75% of that sustained winning is insane.

That's why I asked how old you were, because you must also have amnesia about what bad NFL football looks like, or how depressing it is to root for a team that never has a chance to make the playoffs on September 1st.

Cause I sure as hell remember, and I'd rather not go back to those bleak depressing times.

Sarge, it like this. Seconds after that fatal play in 2014 I knew it was over. Once the locker room was lost and people started leaving it was over. The one aspect of Pete Carroll that has never changed is that he has to have optimum talent to win it all. He always has. From 2015 on, he had a QB that was putting up historical, all time numbers and was good enough to put the team into the post season. Once they got there though, I knew they would never do anything. Why? The coaching factor. Bottom line is, if two teams have the exact same talent, I would always choose the other coach over Pete Carroll. Always.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Rooting for your HC to fail just so you can tell anonymous strangers on an internet forum "I told you so" with perverse glee, the worst of all fans.

Is that any worse than giving a coach a constant free pass because he won the Super Bowl a decade ago?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The reason for the early round exists have largely been because Russell Wilson is an average quarterback in the playoffs. He's too inconsistent.

Do a stat analysis of Russell's playoff wins and losses going back 5 years of playoff appearance. The wins are impressive but the losses show why Seattle failed to make it far.

Yeah, has nothing to do with game planning and coaching.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Sarge, it like this. Seconds after that fatal play in 2014 I knew it was over. Once the locker room was lost and people started leaving it was over. The one aspect of Pete Carroll that has never changed is that he has to have optimum talent to win it all. He always has. From 2015 on, he had a QB that was putting up historical, all time numbers and was good enough to put the team into the post season. Once they got there though, I knew they would never do anything. Why? The coaching factor. Bottom line is, if two teams have the exact same talent, I would always choose the other coach over Pete Carroll. Always.
SO you are still under the impression that Russell carried Pete despite all the recent evidence to the contrary?
What Super Bowl winning team did NOT have a bunch of talent???
If you would pick any coach over Pete then I really hope you don’t do any hiring at your job. You obviously can’t recognize or give credit to talent.
Pete is and will be a Hall of Fame coach.