Lance Dunbar visiting Hawks

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
chris98251":32tuthnd said:
bjornanderson21":32tuthnd said:
Not interested in giving decent money to anyone who isn't likely to win the job over Rawls.

Michael showed enough in his "last chance" to be brought back on a cheap deal, if possible.

Otherwise just look for someone in the draft that fits what they're looking for. Even a mid-late round pick can come in as the backup or 3rd string easily.

Keep it cheap.

You don't bring in anyone that can't push and or challenge Rawls, whats the point of that player if he isn't good enough to take over in the event of an injury. Doesn't mean you have to break the bank, does mean you have to scout well and the price is what you pay depending on the projection and research you have done on where he will go.
I should have re-phrased it as "legit chance" to beat Rawls.

If someone has a legit chance to win the job, then they ARE pushing Rawls.

There is zeeo reason though to make our 3rd-string RB (assuming Michael comes back) the highest paid RB on the team. If the player isn't really fighting for the starting job or doesn't have a good chance at it then what is the point of spending a million or two on a spot that can adequately be filled by a UDFA or late round pick?

A million wasted here, a million wasted there adds up.

chris98251

Reaction score
TJ Duckett had a lot to do with Dunns success in Atlanta as well.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I've never much cared for one dimensional backs. Obviously Dunbar is a nice receiver out of the backfield and could potentially back up Lockett as a returner as well, but what I mean by one dimensional back is that there is really no power element to his game as a runner. When a running back is faced with sub-optimal blocking, which happens all the time, it's best to have both power and quickness elements to be able to create with.

That's really a captain obvious kind of statement, but when you're carrying 3 backs where one is one dimensional and your projected starter has had injury trouble the last 2 years he's played football, I really question whether that one dimensional player should actually be there.

This could turn out alright, it's just not that great a scenario in my mind.

King Dog

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3653vwq6 said:
I've never much cared for one dimensional backs. Obviously Dunbar is a nice receiver out of the backfield and could potentially back up Lockett as a returner as well, but what I mean by one dimensional back is that there is really no power element to his game as a runner. When a running back is faced with sub-optimal blocking, which happens all the time, it's best to have both power and quickness elements to be able to create with.

That's really a captain obvious kind of statement, but when you're carrying 3 backs where one is one dimensional and your projected starter has had injury trouble the last 2 years he's played football, I really question whether that one dimensional player should actually be there.

This could turn out alright, it's just not that great a scenario in my mind.

I like how the Patriots have used guys like that (Vareen, Lewis).

morgulon1

Reaction score
I compare Dunbar to Jimmie JJ "DYNOMITE" Walker. shifty , quick cut back runner with explosivness.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":2ihei002 said:
I feel relieved that Seattle kicked the tires on Lance Dunbar but not Chris Ivory or Toby Gerhart, etc.

Maybe I'm reading into things too much, but I think the success of Thomas Rawls has caused Seattle to rethink what type of RB is ideal for Tom Cable's system. Namely, the undersized, elusive, super quick, pretty fast RB who adds "spark" to the offense. Seattle isn't looking for the next Marshawn Lynch anymore. They are looking for the next Warrick Dunn (which is what I think Rawls is going to be, health permitting).

So even if they don't sign Dunbar, I think Seattle's interest in Dunbar is interesting and probably encouraging. It shows that Seattle is willing to adapt quickly to new types of players that will succeed in Seattle's scheme.

To be fair, it's almost impossible to find the next Lynch, his running style was too unique. I don't think the coaching staff wants to go away from the hard nosed tough guy at RB, but they have to like Rawls' explosion. Lynch was explosive too, but usually after he ran 3 guys over. It also jives with what they went after Christine Michael for.

Kearly, going off of your theory, where does this leave CMike ? I'm really surprised they haven't offered him a contract yet.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'm actually quite relieved with this one. Did not want.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MrReggieBushDay/status/713052149207273472[/tweet]

Ozzy

Reaction score
It seems like they want a unique skill set in the RB room. Sent bevell to see Ervin too. I really hope they want an explosive element on third downs.

Latest posts